Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Our financial guy didn't like any of the investment options in my 401K plan. He said they were great for younger workers, but lousy for someone looking at retiring soon. So we did an "in-service rollover" (which anyone can do after age 59) and he's investing the money in more appropriate ways.

I have NEVER seen a financial adviser who wanted you to keep your money in the employer's 401(k) even when such funds are invested in low-cost no-load index funds with good performance records.

I would advise anyone to take a closer look to see what the financial adviser proposes to do with the funds first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 PM

150 posts, read 143,273 times
Was just recently considering this. I've always chosen from the available funds as best I could but am now thinking I need to direct it all into the target date strategies provided. Since I have at least 8 years to go before even considering withdrawals, is there a tax consequence if this all gets reshuffled? What's the worst that can happen? The 401k administrating company has had this for less than 2 years so my personal return average doesn't have enough long term data to draw any conclusions from. Honestly, I look at it often but never change anything. I only know enough to know how much I don't know (and I'm constantly reading and studying to improve) but I don't trust a financial advisor to look after my best interests. It's not that I want to just out it all on auto-pilot, but I'm thinking there's got to be a better way.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:09 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
We are still in our employee based retirement plan. Just with Fidelity alone we have 194 funds to select from all index are advantage (?) class and most closed funds are still available. There are multiple other vendors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement