U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:15 PM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I've always lived and traveled in areas that have a lot of "light pollution" at night. When I was about 17 I took a weekend trip to a part of PA that was very rural; it so happened that it was in late fall and a clear cold moonless night. When I stepped outside at about 10pm to get something from my car, I looked up and for the first time I saw a night sky absolutely filled with stars. I was absolutely astounded and felt about as significant as a grain of sand in the Sahara desert, faced with such majesty.

I've honestly never seen anything like it since.
I had a similar experience that had a major effect on me.

We drove to Hatteras, NC with our son who was nine at the time. DH was exhausted from the drive, we had left early and it was late when we arrived, but DS and I couldn't wait to see the ocean, even at night in the dark. We unpacked the car and left DH who was going to bed. DS and I ran over the dune, across the beach and to the water's edge. I had never seen stars like that night before. There was absolutely no light pollution looking out over the ocean and I saw why the Milky Way is called milky, it was magnificent! There were so many layers of stars, I was awestruck.

The flip side of this story is after drinking in the view of the stars, we now had our night vision. We turned to leave and gasped because there were literally thousands of crabs covering the beach! There were so many I couldn't see the sand; it was a black, moving mass! I have no idea how we didn't land on any of them when we ran down to the ocean, but we didn't chance lifting a foot and shuffled all the way back to the dunes.

It's one of the family stories, approaching legend now.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-14-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 PM

5,164 posts, read 8,687,150 times
Smile Having my children

Never thinking I would ever be married or have children, both of those were super pleasant surprises.

Having my children and their young years when they really needed me are my favorite times. I just enjoyed them so much.

Worked hard, played hard, enjoyed my quiet moments at home with the two of them and my husband.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:15 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
My first date with my current wife almost 18 years ago.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,382,569 times
Quote:
I've always lived and traveled in areas that have a lot of "light pollution" at night. When I was about 17 I took a weekend trip to a part of PA that was very rural; it so happened that it was in late fall and a clear cold moonless night. When I stepped outside at about 10pm to get something from my car, I looked up and for the first time I saw a night sky absolutely filled with stars. I was absolutely astounded and felt about as significant as a grain of sand in the Sahara desert, faced with such majesty.

It never occurred to me that anyone had *not* experienced that at some point in their lives. I did a lot of my growing up in rural Missouri and Kansas, and that was just a normal thing to me. We used to lay outside at night and look at the stars. I live in a suburb of Kansas City now, but just a short drive away from pitch blackness if/when I want to see it. It's also wonderful to experience the full moon without any other lights. And no sounds of anything other than nature.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:42 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,788,261 times
Quote:

One time I was driving out in the middle of West Texas in the middle of the night in a Volkswagen bug that had a sunroof. I happened to look up and saw a billion stars. Almost like I'd never seen them before. I pulled over for a few minutes just to sit and look at them all. Usually, I live in big cities, so I don't get to see all the stars all the time.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:52 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,382,569 times
Some of my best memories are childhood summer days living in the country, playing in silky soft dirt almost the texture of baby powder with my brother, old country roads, huge old trees, hay fields and cornfields, playing in the creek, tire swings, dinnertime with food from the garden - wilted lettuce salad, green onions, radishes, the sound of an old screen door when it opens and closes, family baseball/softball games on summer evenings. A simpler time and a time with no worries. I think that's what I'd want to remember.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:39 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,162,634 times
My favorite memory will always be my two Sons growing up and becoming two men I am very proud of. If all my other memories disappear I won't care, as long as I can hang onto that one.

Don

Old 06-15-2014, 03:37 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,168,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It never occurred to me that anyone had *not* experienced that at some point in their lives. I did a lot of my growing up in rural Missouri and Kansas, and that was just a normal thing to me. We used to lay outside at night and look at the stars. I live in a suburb of Kansas City now, but just a short drive away from pitch blackness if/when I want to see it. It's also wonderful to experience the full moon without any other lights. And no sounds of anything other than nature.
How often at night when the heavens are bright
With the light of the glittering stars
Have I stood there amazed and asked as I gazed
If their glory exceeds that of ours

Old 06-15-2014, 04:39 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
I have mostly lived rural. But to see a billion stars. I got that in my year in Iraq. I was plopped down in the middle of a desert on a bombed out Iraqi Airbase. No lights no running water and not even any buildings that didn't have holes in the roof and walls. We slept in tents and the heat was so hot during the day that when 10pm rolled around and it dropped to 90 the most comfortable place was outside. The night sky was impossible. So many stars and the satellites crossing by. Even a few times the shuttle went by.

As for trying to forget something, not on your life. As bad as some of the things I seen, as many things as I would like to have not seen, I would not ever ever give up one single memory.

It is my belief that our memories are what make us. Any change in them, a change in having done something different will send you down a different path. I love the life I have and lived. Please let me keep them.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:13 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,859,160 times
In the early 50's my dad would take my brother and I for walks in the woods near our house. We would always find our way to the nearby lake for some swimming. The area was loaded with pine trees and blueberry bushes and it was fun picking and eating the blueberry's as we walked along. There was a railroad next to our path and the steam engines pulling freight trains was fun to watch. On occasion dad would bring the 22 rifle and we would shoot at tin cans.
That was in Central NJ
As as grew up I was always looking for a place like that to live so I kept moving further away from the crowds until I ran out of places to live in NJ.
So now here I am 60 years later living in the pine forests in NC where I have the woods and blueberry bushes that I remember from my days in NJ and I can still walk in the woods and do a little tin can shooting.

Life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement