U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 07:21 AM

6,353 posts, read 7,838,998 times

Advertisements

My "star" experience was in Hustle VA. I had lived in Philadelphia and D.C. and a very populated area in MD, so I was used to street lights and stores with neon. But when I went to this very rural place, it was dark. The house had lights, of course, but there wasn't a street light to be seen and when I stepped outside, I realized the meaning of the term "pitch black". Looking up, seeing the stars, I was in awe.

While that's a fond memory, I'm not expecting that to define me so the Man in Black can have that one. I'm still working on the one I want to save.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 07:37 AM

19,844 posts, read 19,937,680 times
Any of the last several months with my husband are memories I want to hold. In ways, they were our 'best' times.

There is one memory of a singular incident that I think of still, as one the most emotionally provoking and satisfying but it's a long story and involves the turning point in someone else's life, not mine or even one of my family.
Suffice it to say, it was an accepted hug that signaled a rebirth from abject mental and emotional despair to the start of healing( nothing to do with religion)

Old 06-15-2014, 10:17 AM

9,770 posts, read 7,054,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Best specific memory is giving birth.

But if my memory were to be taken away gradually, yes, I'd like to remember who I am.
I think giving birth would be my best specific memory too. But I have so many other good memories, it'd be hard to choose if I had to have them taken away. I cherish them all.

Bad memories. They can have those.

I'd like to remember who I am too.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:35 PM

12,298 posts, read 12,533,436 times
I think fondly on being a young, single guy in the early '70s. I was like a kid in a candy store.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,729,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I've always lived and traveled in areas that have a lot of "light pollution" at night. When I was about 17 I took a weekend trip to a part of PA that was very rural; it so happened that it was in late fall and a clear cold moonless night. When I stepped outside at about 10pm to get something from my car, I looked up and for the first time I saw a night sky absolutely filled with stars. I was absolutely astounded and felt about as significant as a grain of sand in the Sahara desert, faced with such majesty.

I've honestly never seen anything like it since.
You should come to the Australian Outback.

The sky is absolutely enormous.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,304,198 times
My best memories of my life are right now. In retirement and no one to tell me what to do. I do what I want when I want to.

No other time in my life has been this good!

Old 06-15-2014, 04:47 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,877,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Never thinking I would ever be married or have children, both of those were super pleasant surprises.
Yes, thats true for me as well.

I will never forget the day my daughter was born.

My wife and I have had many good times over the years but that beats them all.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:07 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,595,504 times
Best time of my life?

When I was 19 I had already dropped out of college & was working a loser.... errr, "entry-level" job & just hanging out with my friends all the time in the street, the park... same old stuff everyday... that is to say doing nothing going nowhere. I decided one day out of the blue I would go to Europe. This is decades before the internet (1971), there were no guidebooks aimed at young travelers & no one I knew had ever done this.

I bought a copy of "Europe on $5 a Day" & a cheap ticket to Germany & spent the next 6 months with my thumb out traveling the roads of Europe & partying with young people from every continent. I was 19, skinny & decent looking & there were plenty of girls who were traveling too looking for an adventure. I slept in people homes, tents, hostels, a loft, cheap hotels & ate whatever was at the market or available from the street vendors and saw all the sights I wanted to.

My only regrets are that as a teenager after 6 months on the road I began to think about the people I left behind & got homesick a bit. My other regret is that 2 of the guys I hooked up with were travelling on to Asia, Thailand specifically, since they served in the war & wanted to go back there. I thought Thailand was a primitive jungle & it was 24 more years before I went there & realized what I missed.

An unbelievably great time that changed the way I looked at how I could live my life going forward. After only 5-6 days home I realized I had made a mistake coming back, nothing had changed except for me & I always felt like a visitor in my hometown after that & left for good a couple of years later.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:43 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,523,628 times
It's not my "favorite" memory, but it is the most important.

It happened on a winter morning on Pennsylvania Route 61, when a borrowed Chrysler station wagon coughed and died.

It had been about a year since my attempt at graduate study had failed -- because what I really wanted was to remain an undergraduate -- forever.

My job had been progressing satisfactorily as far as "learning the ropes" -- but I was 23-year-old in an office full of thirty- and forty-somethings; The only two people my own age were either married, or about to be. And the boss had made it clear that I could expect no advancement until I followed that path.

And I was on my way "home" - to deal with a few issues in the community where I grew up -- and no longer fit in, before returning to dingy rented quarters among the losers and "spare parts" of a culture with which I couldn't identify.

On a number of previous occasions, I had come to recognize that I had a negative habit of procrastinating when confronted with an issue that boiled down to several hard choices.

But on that occasion, all the dreams, schemes and strategies collapsed in one heap, and I recognized that I had to adapt and grow up.

As it turned out, I was to face several more years "in the wilderness" -- including a brush with the Law (a drunk driving arrest pleaded down), before a path upward and outward began to emerge. And I both retuned to the "campus environment" for a while, and spent some time on the road. And eventually, "failure to launch" turned into a successful launch -- albeit not so impressive.

But it all began a mile or so north of St. Clair, PA at, appropriately enough, a cold March sunrise in 1973.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-15-2014 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 PM

12 posts, read 13,431 times
Great memories: Seeing the mogollon rim (arizona) for the 1st time, all of our family's graduations, gardening, holidays with the fam, giving birth & being a new mom, completing art projects.

Last edited by Titania17; 06-15-2014 at 11:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement