U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 AM

4,348 posts, read 6,062,523 times

Advertisements

My favorite memory is right now today. These days I don't take anything for granted. I wake up with gratitude in my heart and zeal for what I'll accomplish. I've enjoyed a good life. No, a great life but I still feel like the best is yet to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:34 PM

9,764 posts, read 7,047,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I have mostly lived rural. But to see a billion stars. I got that in my year in Iraq. I was plopped down in the middle of a desert on a bombed out Iraqi Airbase. No lights no running water and not even any buildings that didn't have holes in the roof and walls. We slept in tents and the heat was so hot during the day that when 10pm rolled around and it dropped to 90 the most comfortable place was outside. The night sky was impossible. So many stars and the satellites crossing by. Even a few times the shuttle went by.

As for trying to forget something, not on your life. As bad as some of the things I seen, as many things fromas I would like to have not seen, I would not ever ever give up one single memory.

It is my belief that our memories are what make us. Any change in them, a change in having done something different will send you down a different path. I love the life I have and lived. Please let me keep them.
Beautiful thoughts.... to treasure the life you've been given.

Your comments about seeing all those billions of stars under the conditions you describe in Iraq, reminded me of the time I saw all those stars in a sky unpolluted by any light. This was the night after southern Miami Dade County had been devastated by Hurricane Andrew. The roof over the living room in our house had been torn off, including the trusses, and only the ceiling joists remained, otherwise all we could see above us was sky when we looked up in the living room. There was no electric anywhere, no lights, no air conditioning, and it was unbelievably hot with no breeze. We'd gone to bed in the back of the house, but I couldn't sleep, and had the worst headache of my life, I think, along with a feeling of being overwhelmed and in hell with no escape. I got up to get a drink of water, forgetting that there was no electric, or even much left of the front of the house, and stepped into the living room- where I stood feeling numb, among the remains of our furniture, wet soggy insulation, other debris- both ours and from our neighbors, all standing in maybe 6 inches of water. Then I looked up at the night sky through the ceiling joists- and saw, with absolutely no light pollution, those billions of stars you talk about. The sight mesmerized me for a few minutes as I stared, fascinated at this wonderful sky, and I even forgot the circumstances that made seeing this sky possible. For a few minutes, anyway, till I remembered where I was, standing in my living room among the debris and the water, and no roof. But I have never forgotten that night sky.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:01 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,036,846 times
The first time my little baby boy smiled at me.

The time I skinny dipped with a couple of friends on a dark, starless night, with only a beautiful moon to illuminate us, and swinging out into the warm water on a vine from a tree...we were childlike and incredulous...

The first time the love of my life looked into my eyes and smiled and I realized he really knew me already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement