U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 AM

13,689 posts, read 8,594,306 times

Advertisements

I'm a retiree, too. So, tell me, deep in your heart, what is your favorite memory of life so far?
I mean, our working life is over. Some of us got married, had kids, had successful careers, fought in wars...whatever. We're all different.

A man shows up with a device like they had in "Men in Black". And he's going to take your memory away little by little. I can think of the first few I'd want him to take away. That's easy.

But the last? Tougher.

I'll tell you mine in a few days.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,582,652 times
Who I am

Old 06-14-2014, 10:04 AM

1,379 posts, read 2,674,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Who I am
Oh, yeah.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:16 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,445,460 times
The good times and love of my animals and the horses I rode on my horse treks. They were like quantum, hyper moments suspended in time with sparkles of lights and vibrations. The bodies disappeared and I was in their heads and hearts and they were in mine.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:26 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,333 times
I've always lived and traveled in areas that have a lot of "light pollution" at night. When I was about 17 I took a weekend trip to a part of PA that was very rural; it so happened that it was in late fall and a clear cold moonless night. When I stepped outside at about 10pm to get something from my car, I looked up and for the first time I saw a night sky absolutely filled with stars. I was absolutely astounded and felt about as significant as a grain of sand in the Sahara desert, faced with such majesty.

I've honestly never seen anything like it since.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:12 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,240,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm a retiree, too. So, tell me, deep in your heart, what is your favorite memory of life so far?
I mean, our working life is over. Some of us got married, had kids, had successful careers, fought in wars...whatever. We're all different.

A man shows up with a device like they had in "Men in Black". And he's going to take your memory away little by little. I can think of the first few I'd want him to take away. That's easy.
Remembering to put on my Men In Black sunglasses.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:30 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
My favorite memory in life so far is flying airplanes. I haven't done that in about 35 years, but it's the coolest thing I've ever done. My ex-wife and I flew our own four-place airplane to Alaska, to the Caribbean, and to many other places. It's a case where getting there is most of the fun.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM

13,689 posts, read 8,594,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I've always lived and traveled in areas that have a lot of "light pollution" at night. When I was about 17 I took a weekend trip to a part of PA that was very rural; it so happened that it was in late fall and a clear cold moonless night. When I stepped outside at about 10pm to get something from my car, I looked up and for the first time I saw a night sky absolutely filled with stars. I was absolutely astounded and felt about as significant as a grain of sand in the Sahara desert, faced with such majesty.

I have BEEN There!
It was at the north rim of the Grand Canyon in May of 1990. Most people don't realize it, but the north rim is at 8,000 feet elevation and is closed from October until May. It honestly felt as if my head was among the stars!
And I had almost forgotten until I read your post.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:32 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post

Come to Arizona. You don't have to go far to see all the stars you want, out in the desert. Fantastic! In No. Idaho I used to sit out on my deck at night and look at them too. In Alaska I didn't care about the stars so much. I had those fabulous Northern Lights to keep me entertained in fall and winter. I do miss those.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:42 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,356,377 times
Best specific memory is giving birth.

But if my memory were to be taken away gradually, yes, I'd like to remember who I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement