U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:00 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times

Advertisements

I gave my boss a 6 month heads up that I would be gone at the end of that year, I knew it would take time to get a replacement and for me to train them. I guess he thought I was kidding, because he still hadn't posted my position for replacement when 3 months rolled around. He said I needed to give written notice before he could post it. So I gave him written notice that day, it still took them until 3 DAYS before I left on terminal leave to get my replacement, so I showed him what I could in 3 days (between my multiple retirement parties) and told him and the boss "You're on your own now!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 07:08 AM

238 posts, read 337,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
I think that some jobs require you to put in for retirement 60-90 days ahead of time. Others, I'm not so sure of... When hubby leaves, he will be giving 2-3 weeks notice. He isn't old enough to retire, but will be drawing on his fully vested 401k funds.

With all the third party companies managing human resource departments in larger companies I think most want 60-90 days notice. When I retired 3 years ago I gave 90 days notice and they still had trouble getting my first pension check to me on a timely basis. It all worked out well since my replacement came in a month early and I was a "lame duck" manager earlier with almost no work to do.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:15 AM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,852,979 times
I'm in a job that has a state pension plan. I went to their workshop a couple months ago - and they ask to be notified 1-3 YEARS prior to retirement. This is not a problem for me - as I am pretty much on track for leaving when I turn 65. I will probably give notice at 64 when I apply for Medicare.

Then 3 months prior to actually leaving - you do their paperwork and they figure your pension benefit and get your direct deposit work finished so that when you retire - you're not worrying about interrupted checks.

Alot can change in 1-3 years, certainly, but I am grateful to be a part of a pension plan. I understand from those who have retired before me - that if you follow the rules - it can be pretty seamless and go swimmingly.

As for finding a successor to me - my deputy just resigned to run away with her boyfriend. 3 years of training down the toilet. I get to start over. Yay. I hope I will have the time and the patience to do so. After I leave? I honestly don't care what happens. I will do my best - but there are no promises.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:17 AM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
My wife's employer requires a six month notice so that they can process all the paperwork for the pension plan. I am not sure exactly why it takes that long but it seems that everything related to pensions take forever.

Personally, I gave six WEEKS notice. I would NOT do that again. The minute that you announce that you are leaving, you are a lame duck. A good number of employees take advantage of the fact that they know you are leaving. What was disappointing was that the employer did not get moving on naming my replacement during that period. However, I left immediately for Traverse City and did NOT give them a thought. (g)

Old 06-15-2014, 07:23 AM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,852,979 times
We have employees here that have over 40 years of service.

One of them gave notice (finance director) so that they could find and he could train a suitable replacement for him. Because the replacement needed MORE time for training than suspected - they retiree was asked to stay on.

He did, of course, because he has minions around him who actually do his work. He actually hasn't lifted a finger in years.

His last day is next Monday.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:41 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
I need to check with our HR. We have a 403b plan, not a pension. I had mentioned my potential plans to our HR person back in December. I have worked here for 41 years and I produce. I don't care who takes my place....might be someone who is currently working in my department.

Several years ago, my boss at that time, retired and only told a couple people of his plans (not me). I guess he did not want parties, etc. I don't either. I also don't want to be viewed as a 'lame duck'.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM

9,744 posts, read 7,025,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I need to check with our HR. We have a 403b plan, not a pension. I had mentioned my potential plans to our HR person back in December. I have worked here for 41 years and I produce. I don't care who takes my place....might be someone who is currently working in my department.

Several years ago, my boss at that time, retired and only told a couple people of his plans (not me). I guess he did not want parties, etc. I don't either. I also don't want to be viewed as a 'lame duck'.
LOL, as I see it, you'll be looking forward to your retirement and all the good things that come with it. I understand why when you're still working, winding up your years of service to the employer, you don't want to be sidelined as a "lame duck", but you've made your plans and it's up to the employer to handle your moving on as they will. There isn't a lot you can do about it if they don't use your expertise and your presence until retirement to make a smooth transition with or without your replacement- and often they don't. As far as I can tell ( and this is from my own retirement experience) all you can do is to offer what you can, continue to do what has made you the stellar employee you are for the last 41 years, and look forward to your own future retirement plans. And not worry if your employer squanders what you've offered them by putting you in a "lame duck" category.

Then when you leave, you'll know you've done your best, and what happens with the company is up to them!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:47 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,388,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, as I see it, you'll be looking forward to your retirement and all the good things that come with it. I understand why when you're still working, winding up your years of service to the employer, you don't want to be sidelined as a "lame duck", but you've made your plans and it's up to the employer to handle your moving on as they will. There isn't a lot you can do about it if they don't use your expertise and your presence until retirement to make a smooth transition with or without your replacement- and often they don't. As far as I can tell ( and this is from my own retirement experience) all you can do is to offer what you can, continue to do what has made you the stellar employee you are for the last 41 years, and look forward to your own future retirement plans. And not worry if your employer squanders what you've offered them by putting you in a "lame duck" category.

Then when you leave, you'll know you've done your best, and what happens with the company is up to them!
What she said~~~

Old 06-15-2014, 11:57 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,841 times
I gave one month's official notice but the university was aware I was going to retire approximately 6 months beforehand. I felt it only fair to advise them as I held a major position as parking director and they needed the lead time to determine my replacement.

Now, my 2nd job in retirement as a stripper - well that is an entirely different environment. I just never went back; even left the lock on my locker!

Old 06-15-2014, 01:19 PM

30,675 posts, read 49,423,020 times
I knew the date of my mandatory retirement years in advance. It is my employer's policy to boot a person out on the month following a certain anniversary. But I had to send a request to the DOD asking for their approval, 6 months in advance.

My local administrative department needed a few months to prepare their paperwork.

I had not been allowed to take my annual vacation for many years, so I had 120 days of leave saved up on the books. I was able to check-out on leave 90-days early, and they mailed my paperwork to me.

I had to schedule all of this on my calendar a year in advance, so that I would not miss any of the deadlines, or lose out on anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement