U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,047,067 times

Advertisements

Well, I was self-employed and I was a mean boss so I just told myself at the end of the day, I'm outa here ! Seriously, I was self-employed but the wife and I talked it over for about a year. I let my customers know 6 months in advance so they would have time to find someone else. I even found replacement for some of them. No hard feelings at all. Been retired 10 years now and loving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 07:31 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,457,105 times
I am really the minority! I gave my immediate supervisor a tentative, three years notice. This gave me plenty of time to be involved in choosing my replacement, and being able to mentor him. Although still unofficial, it is common knowledge in the Company that I will retire in about a year, unless there is some unexpected financial setback. I actually have 51 weeks left. I will give official notice 6 months ahead of time. I work for an employee owned company so considerations have to be made for the distribution of company stock.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,568,125 times
I gave my boss one year notice.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
It is the way I was raised. I gave my word I would not leave him in a bind. I did not realize it would be hard to find someone to take my place. When I was growing up and even now, if I say I will do something, I will keep my word. I have to be extremely PO'd not to do what I said I would. And even than, I would have to think twice before going back on my word. If this person does not stay, I will tell them they have two weeks to find someone than it is goodbye. I am pushing 69 and I don't need the stress. There are some things I want to do before that fatal day.
Good for you. Adherence to your principles is commendable. I think the two weeks, if it turns out that way, is generous and should be followed to the letter.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:25 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,832,098 times
First, check with HR for any company plans to downsize in the near future (common in many companies). Even if there isn't a plan in place, ask HR to let you know if something comes-up. You don't necessarily need to let them know you are planning on retiring anyway.

I was able to take advantage of an opportunity to retire a year earlier than otherwise planned (61), at full pay with benefits for the final year! Many companies (mine included) offer 1-2 weeks per year of service for anyone willing to take a voluntary layoff. I let them know about a month before the fact, that I would be taking the layoff.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,961,421 times
One advantage of not giving a final notice too soon is that for the last months you might be considered a lame duck. All of the good projects would go to the remaining folks.

Where I worked, no one could actually replace anyone as we were all so different and provided different perspectives. Yet all the time, even without considering retirement, it was important that someone knew at least the nuts and bolts of your basic routines, so retirement did not affect that.

Creativity comes from all combinations of inputs and when one person drops out, the exact same result will never happen. Still, there are hundreds of good results that could happen depending on the exact combination of minds working on a single problem.
Many times you cannot 'teach' someone to replace you.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:00 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,442,945 times
I think I gave about 3 or 4 weeks notice, and then I recall I left even earlier than I had said I would.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:22 PM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times
Only enough time for them to plan the good bye luncheon.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,762 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Just today at a departmental meeting, one woman announced her retirement - July of 2016. We have plenty of time to replace her.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:46 PM
mlb

3,178 posts, read 2,852,979 times
Five years from this month.

I'm gone.

Unless someone makes it worth it to leave earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement