U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:48 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Just wondering how much notice is appropriate to give to your employer/company of your retirement plans. Too much time and you might be treated as a lame duck. Too little time and ?
Long enough for them to process your papers and if it is a very responsible job, long enough for them to get someone trained to do that job. I gave about six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 04:54 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,656,523 times
I'm walking in the door, the day I retire, packing, signing my papers and walking out. In fact, I'll probably be packed long before that and won't look back. I owe my employer nothing.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:42 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I'm walking in the door, the day I retire, packing, signing my papers and walking out. In fact, I'll probably be packed long before that and won't look back. I owe my employer nothing.
Just curious how much trouble your no-notice plan will be for your employer? Sounds to me like pay-back time for the employer not treating you well. So be it, in that case.

However, the question then becomes how much trouble it will be for some other employee(s) who have never done you any harm?

About eight years before I retired I was given a new assignment with a long learning curve. (Same employer, same building, but new assignment). For a complex series of reasons my predecessor was no longer around to show me the ropes and it was a lengthy and difficult process for me to get up to speed. Therefore, I made it a point of pride eight years later upon my retirement not to put someone else through that same situation if I could help it. Fortunately my successor was named early (because I had given notice early) and I was able to work closely with that person. A win for everybody was the result.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:38 PM
mlb

3,178 posts, read 2,853,807 times
Yah - I just had an employee give two weeks notice. She's running away with a boyfriend to another state where he works. She will not be employed. It's an impulsive move - she's known the boyfriend 6 short months.

I extended every benefit I could to her in the 3 years she was with me - her pay was not great - I'll give her that - but I had no power to change that.

I would have appreciated an earlier heads up.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:51 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,950,140 times
any more stories?

Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,342,402 times
At my former workplace, to leave in good standing you need to give 1 month notice for salaried and 2 weeks notice for hourly. Good standing means you can apply for another job there if you want to do so. The retirement system which is separate from my workplace, needed 2 months notice, in order to start the paperwork.

So I gave proper notice to the retirement system and planned to give only 2 weeks notice at my workplace, so I wouldn't be in good standing. Unfortunately, they started giving me my incompetent boss's tasks to do, so I ended up giving the full month's notice, just to keep from being assigned more of his work. They probably would've liked even more notice, but I wasn't going to give them the chance to screw up my plans. Maybe I should have done so, because my boss stopped talking to me once I gave notice.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 PM

467 posts, read 394,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
It is the way I was raised. I gave my word I would not leave him in a bind. I did not realize it would be hard to find someone to take my place. When I was growing up and even now, if I say I will do something, I will keep my word. I have to be extremely PO'd not to do what I said I would. And even than, I would have to think twice before going back on my word. If this person does not stay, I will tell them they have two weeks to find someone than it is goodbye. I am pushing 69 and I don't need the stress. There are some things I want to do before that fatal day.
And the count down has begun. I have 6 working days until 8/31/2014. The only problem is that the new person has a problem of getting to work on time and over sleeping on Friday mornings. Nothing has been said to me by the owners but she told me one of them talked to her. I am praying that nothing happens in these last 6 days to cause this person to quit. I am suppose to get some compensation on my last day. How much I don't know. In talking to my wife I have decided that if the compensation does not agree with the figure in my mind ( not an unrealistic figure) I am done. If they call me to go back and help out I will make an excuse why I can not go.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
tramp -
Exciting times for you - I remember the feeling well
Quote:
If they call me to go back and help out I will make an excuse why I can not go.
No excuses needed.
"I'm sorry, I have other plans."
Doesn't matter if 'other plans' means sleeping in or working in your yard. You'll have Other Plans.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:16 PM

467 posts, read 394,529 times
Four working days left and counting. As that time gets closer, sometimes I am a little skeptic about retiring as I have been working so many years and for the better part of those years, I have always had one or two part time jobs on the side. But on the other hand, I just can not stay where I am at as the pressure is too great on my physical well being. I guess it is the thought of stepping into the unknown and realizing that I am on the back side of life. But than again, I am looking forward the this relaxing time when I will be able to do what I want and not dread Sundays because I have to go back to work on Monday. Yea, after doing the things around the house that has to be done, and the weather cools off, I think we will take a needed vacation, just the two of us, and we won't have to worry about getting back home in 3 or 4 days because I have to go back to work. Come to think of it, retirement is starting to look better.

On the brighter side, my wife is already looking for a part time job for me. She says if we are both home all day long, everyday, one of us is going to jail. LOL

Old 07-26-2014, 11:38 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,583,756 times
I gave 2 weeks to my coworkers & 3 weeks to my manager. Why so abrupt? Not out of disrespect at all.
I was intending to retire in 2-3 years & around Halloween management offered packages to all the long time employees, I would get a little over a year's salary with benefits & honestly mentioned to a coworker "Gee, if only they offered this a year from now I'd take it but it falls short for me". We had 6 weeks to consider & I didn't think much about it again.

Just before thanksgiving weekend someone said to me "Hefe if I was you I would take it!". So that weekend when I sat down & figured saving the same amount & if there were typical market returns.... I would be within spitting distance of my "figure" much to my surprise. I told my manager I would take it on Monday morning but asked if he would keep it confidential since I had a week to reconsider & back out.

Life in the office had been pretty dismal for several years, a couple of toxic personalities that cast a pall on everything ( & I typically worked a 10 hr day with them). At the end of the reconsider point the following week I told my coworkers that I had changed my mind & was taking it. 2 weeks later was Christmas week which I had previously taken vacation time for so I went from being a worker bee to unexpectedly retiring in 3 weeks!

All is really good about my decision, but the sudden change in life threw me for a real loop which I didn't expect, no prep time, no plans. I am just now getting some direction in this next act. Best decision I Ever made, don't miss work at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement