Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:13 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times

Advertisements

I gave 5 months notice, primarily because I wanted things to be out in the open and I had alot of information gathering to do with the company, Medicare, etc. They were appreciative of the advance notice. Only 7 weeks to go...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:44 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I gave 5 months notice, primarily because I wanted things to be out in the open and I had alot of information gathering to do with the company, Medicare, etc. They were appreciative of the advance notice. Only 7 weeks to go...
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:00 PM

515 posts, read 778,365 times
I talked about it for 4 years so when I gave a 5 week notice they should not have been surprised but they were and wanted me to stay a while longer. I refused to listen to any offers and worked out my 5 weeks as planned. I was their only maintenance mechanic and at that time was the most senior employee with 39 years, 2 months and 3 days service.......but who's counting.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 PM

701 posts, read 694,047 times
I gave a 6 week notice which would be the 2nd week in July and told my boss that I would train someone and that I would not leave him in a bind and if that person would not work out I would come back and train someone else. It is the kind of person I am. I helped with the interview and a guy was hired. It took about 2 weeks to hire him so I extended my retirement date until the end of July. I have been here on the job for 17 years,always a company man, did my work and took on extra without complaining. I had asked for a raise a couple of times about a year or two before I decided to retire and was always turned down. Company could not afford it. But other employees who had not been there as long as I was got raises. I was always told by the owner that I was a good employee and he could always count on me. I guess just not good enough for araise or maybe they figured I would be retiring soon and there was no point in giving me a raise. Any way the guy started on Thursday and quite Friday afternoon. Too much work. Now we are interviewing again. So in a panic, the boss has increased the starting pay with a raise in 3 months and another raise in a year to almost what I am making. WTH! How do you think that makes me feel? I can not wait to get out of there.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
I gave a 6 week notice which would be the 2nd week in July and told my boss that I would train someone and that I would not leave him in a bind and if that person would not work out I would come back and train someone else. It is the kind of person I am. I helped with the interview and a guy was hired. It took about 2 weeks to hire him so I extended my retirement date until the end of July. I have been here on the job for 17 years,always a company man, did my work and took on extra without complaining. I had asked for a raise a couple of times about a year or two before I decided to retire and was always turned down. Company could not afford it. But other employees who had not been there as long as I was got raises. I was always told by the owner that I was a good employee and he could always count on me. I guess just not good enough for araise or maybe they figured I would be retiring soon and there was no point in giving me a raise. Any way the guy started on Thursday and quite Friday afternoon. Too much work. Now we are interviewing again. So in a panic, the boss has increased the starting pay with a raise in 3 months and another raise in a year to almost what I am making. WTH! How do you think that makes me feel? I can not wait to get out of there.
And you haven't walked why?

Old 06-20-2014, 02:50 AM

4,904 posts, read 2,056,126 times
I gave my employer a "heads up" last year and last week, I submitted all my paperwork for my retirement pay and health benefits... My last day will be December 31st of this year. So, I officially have them a 6.5 months notice... It takes my employer a few months to get everything right BEFORE they send out a full retirement check... The more notice given, the shorter the wait time is suppose to be... I hope!!

I'll give them a 30 day written notice at the being of December.... I will be officially retired at the end of that month, but I should be starting my "post retirement" job sometime in January... Not a bad gig since everybody there is retired and pretty laid back. Plus the position has very little to zero stress... I will be in my early 50s, so I can't see myself being fully retired just yet.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:32 AM

701 posts, read 694,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And you haven't walked why?
It is the way I was raised. I gave my word I would not leave him in a bind. I did not realize it would be hard to find someone to take my place. When I was growing up and even now, if I say I will do something, I will keep my word. I have to be extremely PO'd not to do what I said I would. And even than, I would have to think twice before going back on my word. If this person does not stay, I will tell them they have two weeks to find someone than it is goodbye. I am pushing 69 and I don't need the stress. There are some things I want to do before that fatal day.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:47 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post

I am with Curmudgeon on this. He is a grumpy sort but he is right. You need to walk away as much as you want to keep your word you have done your part. It would seem that your employer has not valued you enough. Now you are so close to enjoying the things you worked so hard to do and there is only a finite time left. Take it. Pursue your dreams and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
My two cents, but if they hired one person and they didn't work out...then I think you've fulfilled your commitment that you made.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:01 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,737 times
Informally 18 months, re-confirmed at 6 months and formally announced at 2 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement