U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place for my retirenement years?
Fayettville, AR 4 8.89%
Branson, MO 3 6.67%
Lousiville, KY 0 0%
Boise, ID 3 6.67%
Asheville, NC 7 15.56%
Saint Augustine, FL 6 13.33%
Tri-cities TN 5 11.11%
Lexington, KY 3 6.67%
Sioux Falls, SD 2 4.44%
Rapid City, SD 1 2.22%
Ocala, FL 6 13.33%
Morgantown, WV 0 0%
Lewiston, ID 1 2.22%
Spokane, WA 2 4.44%
Bloomington, IN 4 8.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I think crime rates can be misleading. To get the true picture, imo you have to talk to locals.

For example, there was a shooting in my town today which is pretty rare. But it was in a part of town I would never go. The majority of crime happens in that part of town.

That's true for a lot of places. The crime happens in a part of town you would never venture into anyway.
Here in Indianapolis, we've seen a lot of criminals from the east side of the city (the worst part of town) venture up into some of the suburbs committing property crime. It's not the suburban residents committing crime - it's people from the urban core. The urban core is certainly more dangerous and has more crime, but crime patterns shift over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:50 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
anybody have experience living in the rural areas outside of Lexington? Like in Berea? Just saw that Branson MO, has a crime rating of 0 out of a 100, on a particular website, that is the worst rating I have seen yet, compared to anywhere else in the USA, surprised me.
Haven't read the whole thread. Are you sure you are interpreting that "0/100" number correctly? Perhaps the rating means just the opposite, e.g., lowest crime rate rather than highest. Just a thought.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:48 PM

6,448 posts, read 3,071,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Here in Indianapolis, we've seen a lot of criminals from the east side of the city (the worst part of town) venture up into some of the suburbs committing property crime. It's not the suburban residents committing crime - it's people from the urban core. The urban core is certainly more dangerous and has more crime, but crime patterns shift over time.
Sure, it can happen. When we moved here at the bottom of the real estate market, the A/C units were a target in every house with a sign up, especially the unoccupied ones.

In any case, hopefully the real situation is more clear after talking to people that actually live there vs raw crime stats.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:14 PM

37,116 posts, read 45,631,484 times
Southern Pines, NC. Seriously, check it out.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:23 PM

4,974 posts, read 3,458,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Southern Pines, NC. Seriously, check it out.
What city is it by?

Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,487,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Yea what troubles me about Maine are those long, snowy winters. Along with high utility rates and high heating costs....unless I guess I lived way up in northern Maine, which simply might be a tad too isolated. NW Arkansas has some lovely nature, great affordable houses for sale, ...and beauty, and some neat smaller cities though. But I am concerned about tornadoes there. Seems like Colorado is drying up and the front range getting overly congested and crowded. Rapid City, is nice, but lousy housing stock with low inventory, and higher then should be, real estate prices. I heard the tri cities of TN do not like outsiders, especially northerners. Read that Tucson is pretty with the mountains, but rough with the crime and run down areas, and hotter then hell itself, and never rains. Boise has gotten too expensive thanks to the transplants over time. Ada country assessed home values jumped up by 22% this year as well. Making property taxes higher.

Yes Tucson is a pretty setting with the mountains. It is as you say though rough with the crime, and the amount of run down areas, sadly speaks volumes. I wonder every day I have been here, what do they care about here. I took a 6 month lease here, and I can honestly say, I had to make the decision to leave here. I leave in 2 weeks. Between the lack of a road system, and the very noticeable lack of areas kept up, it's not worth the energy to retire here. I didn't find it nearly as inexpensive as I thought, when I added in the other factors. The high crime areas and the lack of areas to find housing, drove me out. I also found if a retiree wants a part-time job, there really are limited opportunities here. There is a serious lack of employers here to begin with. I don't see a young person wanting a career could really live here. Other than in Medical or a few other careers, and the pay is very low here. In many ways its a rather isolated part of America. Just not a lot of opportunities, and I feel many pretty much want it that way here. Not sure many really admit that though. To each their own,

Old 01-27-2015, 06:32 AM

703 posts, read 796,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes Tucson is a pretty setting with the mountains. It is as you say though rough with the crime, and the amount of run down areas, sadly speaks volumes. I wonder every day I have been here, what do they care about here. I took a 6 month lease here, and I can honestly say, I had to make the decision to leave here. I leave in 2 weeks. Between the lack of a road system, and the very noticeable lack of areas kept up, it's not worth the energy to retire here. I didn't find it nearly as inexpensive as I thought, when I added in the other factors. The high crime areas and the lack of areas to find housing, drove me out. I also found if a retiree wants a part-time job, there really are limited opportunities here. There is a serious lack of employers here to begin with. I don't see a young person wanting a career could really live here. Other than in Medical or a few other careers, and the pay is very low here. In many ways its a rather isolated part of America. Just not a lot of opportunities, and I feel many pretty much want it that way here. Not sure many really admit that though. To each their own,
Very smart to take a 6 month lease. Where are you headed next?

We retired to Greenville, SC and are very happy here. Our motivating factor was our son and daughter-in-law are here. With that said, if they do not stay here, we still intend to.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:59 AM

37,116 posts, read 45,631,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What city is it by?
Fayetteville, and Pinehurst, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement