U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 06:30 AM

19,846 posts, read 19,943,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Agree about the need for a cell phone - with the "smart phone" being an option. I think it's even possible to buy a cheap cell phone and just have 911 service without having any kind of plan at all (prepaid - pay as you go - whatever). We still have a "landline" - but with Comcast (it gave us an offer we couldn't refuse to bundle our services). Robyn
My, and I believe any, old cell that is no longer active, is still useable for 911.
edited to add...just Googled it and it is true (as long as it's charged, of course)
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 06:40 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Well, when some of the younger generations suggest it would be the right thing for me to do to die and make room for them I find it somewhat annoying...
They are all standing on the sidelines, cheering for us. To move on.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,402,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't pay for the service that covers long distance on my landline but , fee a per minute cost, can use it.
You literally cannot dial the 1 and area code and phone number.......IOW, only 7 digits register??
That is really odd...a new one on me. Learn something new every day.
Now when you get a landline you tell them which LD carrier you want and they work magic and tie you to that carrier so when you pick up your phone and dial 1 +_ the LD call goes to that carrier and you are billed by that carrier. You can elect to have no LD carrier designated. This avoids tons of extra surcharges/taxes etc... on your landline bill. Many people will use the LD cards you can buy and you access the LD network via their instructions.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:50 AM

5,809 posts, read 4,857,183 times
If you haven't looked into Consumer Cellular for cell phone, I recommend it. They use AT&T towers, so if AT&T has coverage in the places you go you're good. They have plans for "dumb phones" starting at $10 month for limited amount of minutes, and no long distance or roaming charges, and if you are going to go over your minutes they notify you at 80% and you can up your plan for just that month and go back to a lower cost plan the next month, or just pay the extra minutes which are very cheap. They have cheap plans for smart phones too with limited or unlimited data. No contracts or cancellation penalties so it's no big deal if you want to switch back. You can keep your old number too. We have used them for several years and are happy. We have had very good luck with them.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,402,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I wondered about this as well.

I do not have LD on my mountain house landline, but they give me 20 minutes free every month through the provider. After that, I can still make LD calls but it is some crazy rate - like $.25 a minute. Now, that really wouldn't be a problem if our cell phones worked but we get only a very weak signal (even with a booster). Oddly, some days we will suddenly get a robust signal for an hour or two.

Info on 911 and cell phones:

911 Wireless Services | FCC.gov
This is a good idea. If someone were to break into your mtn home and you had LD on that line, they could call around the world and you would be responsible for those calls. You can buy those LD cards (Target, drug stores, etc...) and still access LD from that phone. If you have speed calling on the line you can program the access number for that card into the speed calling and then you don't have to dial the entire #.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:02 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,318,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I wondered about this as well.

I do not have LD on my mountain house landline, but they give me 20 minutes free every month through the provider. After that, I can still make LD calls but it is some crazy rate - like $.25 a minute. Now, that really wouldn't be a problem if our cell phones worked but we get only a very weak signal (even with a booster). Oddly, some days we will suddenly get a robust signal for an hour or two.

I can pay my cell phone bill by dialing a 3 digit number on my phone. I have been trying to pay the bill for 4 days now but the calls won't go through!

For that reason, we can't count on cell phone use at that house, so we have a landline. At our primary residence, the coverage is fine . . . we will be moving and when we do, I still think I will keep a landline for emergency use, simply because of the various problems we have with dialing 911 and quickly reaching the local emergency system.

Info on 911 and cell phones:

911 Wireless Services | FCC.gov

I ignore advice I don't want to hear--I haven't had any lately.

We had no cell service at our new mountain home in Asheville. We got an AT&T 3G Micro Cell, for about $200.00. We now get excellent reception on our IPhones, throughout the house and in parts of the yard.

We do enjoy being connected with our smart phones and not out of touch. I never know when my DIL will send me a cute photo of my granddaughter, or when my mom might need to talk to me--or the contractor doing renovations, may call with a question. We always put the phones on vibrate when a ring would be inappropriate.

We also have a landline that is part of the Charter Bundle--with cable and internet. Costs less that way.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:17 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post

We had no cell service at our new mountain home in Asheville. We got an AT&T 3G Micro Cell, for about $200.00. We now get excellent reception on our IPhones, throughout the house and in parts of the yard.

We do enjoy being connected with our smart phones and not out of touch. I never know when my DIL will send me a cute photo of my granddaughter, or when my mom might need to talk to me--or the contractor doing renovations, may call with a question. We always put the phones on vibrate when a ring would be inappropriate.

We also have a landline that is part of the Charter Bundle--with cable and internet. Costs less that way.
Yeppers, we got the microcell, too. In fact, AT&T gave it to us, free, b/c they agree - our coverage is dire.

Sadly, the microcell didn't help any at all. However, I am glad to know it has worked for you.

We can only get phone service from a cooperative, Skyline (some de-regulation thing). But we do have cable from Charter. I also have my WiFi with Skyline, as I don't want my WiFi/net connex tied to cable outages.

Our cell phone bill is ridiculous - we have robust data plans on 2 iPhones and an iPad, but my husband is the one who "brokered" that deal and I think he would have done a lot better with different plans from some other carrier. I will be changing to a different carrier as soon as I can dump this present contract. Strangely, my son is with Verizon and his cell phone works fine at our house.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:08 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,701,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
They are all standing on the sidelines, cheering for us. To move on.
I don't think any of them would even want my job but if they do, they can have it. Only problem with that is they would then have to support me because I need that money. I bet that would go over real well. lol

Old 06-28-2014, 06:18 AM

3,746 posts, read 4,224,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post

Here's some advice you may not want to hear. If available, consider getting a real landline. According to Charter's website, even the "landline's" optional backup battery is only good for up to 8 hours on standby.

My father has lost his electricity for 4 or 5 days and even with a backup generator, there's still the issue that cell phone service does not accurately identify the location of the caller. If he has a medical emergency, I'm not confident that he would be able to give his location to the 911 operator.

Although our phone company does not advertise the "dial tone" plan, I was able to purchase this option for my own home. Although the monthly fees are higher than the cost of the plan itself, the total cost is about $20/month and is well worth it.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 AM

19,846 posts, read 19,943,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

Although our phone company does not advertise the "dial tone" plan, I was able to purchase this option for my own home. Although the monthly fees are higher than the cost of the plan itself, the total cost is about $20/month and is well worth it.
What is a dial tone plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or