Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 02:42 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times

Advertisements

Robyn, I loved the "Gluten free" video w/ J. Kimmel. I just love when people take medical advice from friends with no expertise. The young lady said she didn't eat gluten because her friend was reading a book about it! She didn't even know why she wasn't supposed to eat it! Too funny...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 03:16 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Robyn, I loved the "Gluten free" video w/ J. Kimmel. I just love when people take medical advice from friends with no expertise. The young lady said she didn't eat gluten because her friend was reading a book about it! She didn't even know why she wasn't supposed to eat it! Too funny...
And we don't even have an iPhone (or any smart phone). When I'm out of the house locally - I am OUT OF TOUCH. As in DON'T BOTHER ME. And when I'm not local - I'm basically in places where a US smart phone wouldn't work. Robyn

Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And we don't even have an iPhone (or any smart phone). When I'm out of the house locally - I am OUT OF TOUCH. As in DON'T BOTHER ME. And when I'm not local - I'm basically in places where a US smart phone wouldn't work. Robyn
Ha Ha! This is what I have always thought but broke down and bought one before my road trip - in case of emergencies. No pay phones anymore and you really can't trust anyone to help you. I got a Southport, NC # so my realtor uses it and I've given it to a few friends that don't pay LD charges so they have called - just to "test" me

Nice to see I'm not the only crotchety old geezer

Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
When I feel "compelled" to give unsolicited advice (when I see a friend/family member about to make a big mistake), I try to couch it in the form of a question, just to see if they have thought through their decision or to maybe trigger some more thought on their part. For example, to an 18 year old wanting to adopt a pet..."have you thought about who would care for that dog you adopt when you leave for college?...do you think that is fair to them, since they aren't the one making this decision?" It's not advice, but hopefully it spurs them to consider the consequences/impact of their actions and consider alternative scenarios.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:55 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Ha Ha! This is what I have always thought but broke down and bought one before my road trip - in case of emergencies. No pay phones anymore and you really can't trust anyone to help you. I got a Southport, NC # so my realtor uses it and I've given it to a few friends that don't pay LD charges so they have called - just to "test" me

Nice to see I'm not the only crotchety old geezer
You're the only crotchety old geezer north of the M-D Line.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,618 times
No smartphone or iPhone for me either! (should I add COG to my profile somewhere? lol)

Nor do I have an iPad *gasp*. Nor Netflix *double gasp*.

I also don't answer my cellphone if I don't recognize the number (heresy!!!!!!) but instead let it go to voicemail if the caller (assuming it's not some silly spamcall in the first place) is so inclined.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:13 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You're the only crotchety old geezer north of the M-D Line.
Oh no I'm not - tons of ole crotcheties here and yes, you are an honorary member also. BUT I am President & CEO and any other big wig terms I can come up with.

Stressed will have to get a bit more crotchety - she's an apprentice and may turn way too sweet now that she's in l~o~v~e

Old 06-25-2014, 03:42 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times
My Samsung flip phone is ten years old or older. I have pay as you go service for two dollars a day. I turn it on every other Saturday when I go to the salon.

Our internet is too slow to support Netflix. I buy my DVD's on Ebay for three bucks a pop and have them forever. And, yep, we watch them, over and over.

I'm a crotchety young gezzer (50). I'll be carrying the torch for y'all

Old 06-25-2014, 05:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
I've had severe IBS since I was about 15. And laugh at all these people who don't have any significant problems best I can figure out trying to deal with their imaginary/minor problems. I deal with things best I can these days - but there's no easy formula IMO. Robyn

Old 06-25-2014, 06:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
While a lot of folks avoid the gluten protein and don't know why (they're not seriously allergic to it), celiac disease, an intolerance of gluten (contained in wheat and barley), is a serious condition and more people are being medically diagnosed with it all the time. You can get a test for it. I'm mildly allergic to gluten, but I'm majorly allergic to wheat, which triggers long lung congestion with terrible cough and complete indigestion.

It's the "modern wheat" at fault here, the way it's been gmo'd and grown. So I can eat some gluten but I do feel the effects in my digestion. Wheat, forget it.

There's so much confusion around grains. The author of Grain Brain, Dr. Perlmutter, and the author of Wheat Belly, Dr. Wm Davis, wrongly condemn all grains. Wheat is a documented problem in modern times. But gluten-free is flung around carelessly. There are a number of grains, including rice (white and brown), quinoa, and buckwheat that do not have gluten, and yet they are glumped in with "all grains we should avoid." That's unfortunate, b/c without any grains in our diet we're essentially eating an Atkins-type diet heavily centered on animal proteins, and research has found this to have adverse effects on our health.

Those with legitimate gluten intolerance can get deadly ill, so it's no joke. Those who have this huge fear of all grains area sadly mistaken. I blame a lot of these fashionable "media doctors" on this misinformation. As always, we have to do our own research to ferret out the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement