Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:49 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times

Advertisements

My problem with cell phones is the poor sound quality. The landline sound quality is much better. It is difficult for me to talk to my elderly mom or my developmentally disabled brother on the cell phone without straining or asking them to repeat things. I find it frustrating that with all this technology, no one seems to be interested in improving the cell phone sound quality. I have a cheap trac phone for travel but otherwise rely on the landline. I'm usually at work or at home so it is not hard to get in conctact with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 11:55 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I must keep a landline, because I often cannot find my cell phone within the house. I panic and have to call someone I know on my landline to have them call my cell phone so it rings and I can follow the sound. The worst times are when I've silenced the ringer for some reason and then everything gets turned upside down as I look frantically for it.

The other thing as that cell service goes down when cell towers do, such as during an ice storm or tech glitz. That's happened several times here and the only phone working was the landline. I don't carry LD service on the landline, just the basic that allows calls within a 30-mi radius.
Why don't you just call your cell from your landline?

Old 06-26-2014, 02:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Why don't you just call your cell from your landline?
A fair question and obvious solution. But I only have basic landline service and my cell # (even though it's the same area code, which covers a very broad area of my part of the state) is not accessible for some odd reason. Probably the origin of the # is not within the 30-mi radius. (IOW, I cannot dial an area code with a number on my landline, just the number itself).

Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
A fair question and obvious solution. But I only have basic landline service and my cell # (even though it's the same area code, which covers a very broad area of my part of the state) is not accessible for some odd reason. Probably the origin of the # is not within the 30-mi radius. (IOW, I cannot dial an area code with a number on my landline, just the number itself).
So, your cell # is considered LD and you mentioned you didn't have LD service, meaning you can't dial 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
So, your cell # is considered LD and you mentioned you didn't have LD service, meaning you can't dial 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.
I wondered about this as well.

I do not have LD on my mountain house landline, but they give me 20 minutes free every month through the provider. After that, I can still make LD calls but it is some crazy rate - like $.25 a minute. Now, that really wouldn't be a problem if our cell phones worked but we get only a very weak signal (even with a booster). Oddly, some days we will suddenly get a robust signal for an hour or two.

I can pay my cell phone bill by dialing a 3 digit number on my phone. I have been trying to pay the bill for 4 days now but the calls won't go through!

For that reason, we can't count on cell phone use at that house, so we have a landline. At our primary residence, the coverage is fine . . . we will be moving and when we do, I still think I will keep a landline for emergency use, simply because of the various problems we have with dialing 911 and quickly reaching the local emergency system.

Info on 911 and cell phones:

911 Wireless Services | FCC.gov

Last edited by brokensky; 06-27-2014 at 03:47 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I don't have LD service on my landline so cannot dial "1" first or call beyond 30 mi of my location on it. One sister and friends and doctor and hospital, etc are all within that range of basic service ($25/mo).\

I can call anywhere in the world any time on my cell. Provided I can find it. (–:

Old 06-27-2014, 06:10 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
I don't have LD service on my landline so cannot dial "1" first or call beyond 30 mi of my location on it. One sister and friends and doctor and hospital, etc are all within that range of basic service ($25/mo).\

I can call anywhere in the world any time on my cell. Provided I can find it. (–:
I don't pay for the service that covers long distance on my landline but , fee a per minute cost, can use it.
You literally cannot dial the 1 and area code and phone number.......IOW, only 7 digits register??
That is really odd...a new one on me. Learn something new every day.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't pay for the service that covers long distance on my landline but , fee a per minute cost, can use it.
You literally cannot dial the 1 and area code and phone number.......IOW, only 7 digits register??
That is really odd...a new one on me. Learn something new every day.
Yes.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Well, when some of the younger generations suggest it would be the right thing for me to do to die and make room for them I find it somewhat annoying...

Old 06-27-2014, 06:21 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It really is a safety factor (having a cell phone). One does not need a "smart" phone, though. I was an early adopter with the iPhone but I used it in my business. I would never encourage someone to spend the money for a data plan and an iPhone unless it will truly benefit them in some way. Being able to text on any phone can also be a real plus, but again, not something everyone needs.

A lot of folks have dropped their home landlines and just pay the one bill for their cell phones now.

I think I am going to keep a landline - if for no reason but for emergencies. Haven't decided on this yet.
Agree about the need for a cell phone - with the "smart phone" being an option. I think it's even possible to buy a cheap cell phone and just have 911 service without having any kind of plan at all (prepaid - pay as you go - whatever). We still have a "landline" - but with Comcast (it gave us an offer we couldn't refuse to bundle our services). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement