U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times

Advertisements

50 is usually the norm but some businesses may say 55, 60, or 65 is their discount requirement. Usually when you ask they give it to you anyway unless you look 18. It's good PR and business for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 09:07 PM

856 posts, read 589,783 times
The first place I was considered a senior (here in SW TN) was a Ross store. I must have been looking hellish that day. Was at check out & clerk asked if I wanted my Sr. discount. Did not ask if I qualified! Just did I want it. I said "what age signifies Sr. status?" (thinking I was not yet old enough AND that I was being witty). Checkout asked my age.. I said 55 in Oct. This was August. She said close enough & next thing I know, BAM! I am a Senior citizen. McDonald's & Goodwill are where I use it most. I think it is 60 for them.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:12 PM

1,198 posts, read 800,223 times
I remember when I worked in a reasturant that had a senior citizens menu. You had to be 55 or older. Even then I didn't consider being in your fifties a senio citizen.

Aarp started sending me letters as early as 47. I wrote down on their bill that 47 is not old and returned it in their self stamped envelope. I didn't hear back from them for four years.

I don't consider anyone a senior citizen till at least 65.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 PM

18,088 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Tip on the AARP temporary cards they send you constantly (I've never signed up). Denny's will let you have their AARP member discount of 15% even if you just show them the temporary card without having a real membership. It was the waitress who let me in on that one lol!

I look at the AARP stuff every so many years to see if I have changed my mind about it not being worth it to join. Just looked at it again, and it's still not worth it, IMO.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:22 AM

11,263 posts, read 8,421,299 times
BLECH! AARP!! :P

I think discounts are usually 55. I'll take a freebie! I'll be there in a year or two!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,216,058 times
Oh heck, the Older Americans Act defines elderly as those who are at least 60 years old. Hence, the availability of federally subsidized services for those who are at least 60 years of age, i.e. senior transportation and a lower income/asset eligibility threshold for SNAP benefits.

A couple years ago I expressed my surprise when the eye doctor mentioned that I had a few small cataracts. He was taken aback by my surprise and replied, "Well, you ARE 60 years old!" Huh? I associated cataracts with aging. It had never crossed my mind that I had reached an age where those in the medical profession might view me as an older lady.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:20 AM

670 posts, read 817,114 times
As others have said, depending on the organization, senior discounts begin anywhere from 50-65.

I turn 65 in September. Right on schedule, I had to see the orthopedic surgeon the other day for my knee, and now my shoulder is doing weird things. My body is telling me "Welcome to being a senior citizen!"

Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 AM

6,347 posts, read 7,825,595 times
AARP! lol They nagged me from the time I turned 50 to the year I reached 75. At that point, I sent them a very nice thank you letter, informing them, as nicely as possible, that since it had been 25 years since I became eligible to join their organization and I still wasn't a member, that it was a pretty good bet that I wasn't interested and they could stop sending me "opportunities" now. Haven't heard from them since.

We have a local supermarket chain that used to ask people if they were eligible for the senior discount and that annoyed a lot of folks who didn't want to admit out loud that they were seniors. Some smart PR guy/gal changed their method. You now fill out a form stating your age and that information is transferred to your shopper's key tag. Now, if you qualify, or if you lied, the senior discount automatically comes off your Tuesday purchases.

I just figure if they want to give me a discount, I'll take it. I know how old I am and while I don't yet use a walker or a cane, nor do I have to ride around the store in the motorized cart, I don't appreciate it when some pre-pubescent cashier asks me, ever so sweetly, if I need help to my car. I just walked all over the bloody store, unloaded my six items onto the belt, and put the bag(s) into the cart. DO I LOOK LIKE I NEED HELP?!? j/k

Old 06-16-2014, 09:59 AM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
Those pre-pubescent's are more than likely trained to ask as a courtesy if you need assistance, a store policy. If you needed help and they just stood there not asking I bet you'd be complaining about the poor service.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 AM

10,305 posts, read 11,218,948 times
There's no real answer because "senior" in this context is a word with no fixed meaning.

In most states businesses have the ability to offer discount programs based on their own definition because in most states the law on discrimination in public accommodations does not include discrimination based on age. I disagree with this myself, and I don't think customres should be forced to pay a higher price because they happen to be below a certain age.

Nevertheless, if you're at a business that offers a discount based on your real or perceived age, I don't think it is unethical to accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or