Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Those pre-pubescent's are more than likely trained to ask as a courtesy if you need assistance, a store policy. If you needed help and they just stood there not asking I bet you'd be complaining about the poor service.
Guess you didn't bother to read past my remark about "pre-pubescent". Of course, I know they are programmed to ask. And no, I wouldn't be complaining if they didn't ask, I'd just ask them for help.

I think I just figured out the age of "seniors". It's when you can't see the humor and the fun any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:12 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
There's no real answer because "senior" in this context is a word with no fixed meaning.

In most states businesses have the ability to offer discount programs based on their own definition because in most states the law on discrimination in public accommodations does not include discrimination based on age. I disagree with this myself, and I don't think customres should be forced to pay a higher price because they happen to be below a certain age.

Nevertheless, if you're at a business that offers a discount based on your real or perceived age, I don't think it is unethical to accept it.
The discount is a courtesy to people who worked hard, made money, and now are able to spend more on a regular basis since the kids are out of college and on their own. It draws regular"seniors" in. Usually a big sales day for us. Everyone will eventually get a senior discount.

To the OP if you see your reflection in the mirror and you look more like your mom or dad than that college age photo of you, you might be a senior. A lot of stores here use 60 since retirement year is now in the 66.something age bracket.

First discount I took at 50 when I got an AP for a theme park. Quite a savings over what I paid for my kids, too. Even better is..... the price did not increase as the price of regular tickets have gone up since we chose Easypay method to pay for them.

I joined AARP at 50 and use the discounts all the time. A lot of places give it to you in addition to other discounts. My sons still take me along sometimes to their favorite shoe store where they often have a sale of buy 2 get 1 pair free and get the 25% discount from AARP when I pay. I usually get the free shoes, too. <g> I use it for hotels and car rentals, too. Usually the same price as you get from Expedia, but sometimes 5-10% off in addition to the price or some other perk thrown in like an upgrade etc.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:34 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
You need to find out what's defined as "senior" for the place that's asking. I've seen 50+ for a restaurant discount, 55+ for a couple of buffets, and 60+ for one cinema. Some places don't actually use the term "senior citizen", but in the case of a retirement community, at least one member in the family had to be... 52 or 55+ years of age, and all children living with them had to be 18+.

In the last case, they'll verify your age. However, I've seen some institutions just take their word on it without checking ID.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,382 times
I'm thinking 70 is just reaching middle age!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I'm thinking 70 is just reaching middle age!
Oh I hope not. The prospect of living to be 140 is not appealing. Even 80's not lookin' good.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
At age 65, I became eligible for a free beach pass in Long Beach Island, NJ Got the pass, haven't been back to LBI since!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement