U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 AM

13,689 posts, read 8,601,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
When was the defining moment you knew you had gotten old? I am 63 and I realize I am old. I work with kids that could be my grandkids. (no children). I see people my age already broken down and barely able to function. I see people running into storefronts because they thought they had the car in reverse. I don't feel like any of the above but I do realize I have much less time on this earth than when I was young. It's just depressing as h--l. Thanks for letting me vent here.
A lot of it is genetic. A lot of it is accumulative and reflects the habits of a life time.

It helps if you never smoked and kept your weight down. But we are still going to get old. Jack LaLanne did.

I'll be 69 soon, but I haven't gotten old yet. Yesterday I worked in the yard all day; today I'm going sailing with my son in law - he wanted me to walk him through the fine points of sailing his catamaran.

It helps if you have never been afraid. You laugh! Most people - I think - are afraid of their own shadow. They don't talk to strangers; they are afraid to travel; they are afraid to be too far from medical facilities; they're afraid to invest.......to put it another way, they are afraid to lose.
And that'll make you OLD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:10 AM

14,423 posts, read 7,939,946 times
I roller skate with people in their 70's and 80's on Friday mornings. They do things I can't even imagine doing on skates. One couple rode off on their matching motorcycles. I want to be just like them when I grow up. It's a nice contrast to see healthy seniors when I take care of people my age or younger at work who are train wrecks and die more often then not. Most of us get what we deserve in the end. There's something to be said for clean living and being active.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:27 AM

10,819 posts, read 8,075,211 times
I'm 65, didn't get the memo.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 AM

6,353 posts, read 7,837,621 times
I'm 78. I raised five sons and buried two husbands. I'll let you know when I'm old.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:29 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
All of the above. I now realize I'm one night time stumble away from possibly ending up in a nursing home or dead. Its happened to people I know younger than me. I'm 59. I don't feel that way in my head but I am realizing every day that my time is limited and I'm freaking out.
I'm a few years older than you and I can relate.

I think my first inkling came at about your age, when I discovered that doing 2 hours of garden work made EVERYTHING hurt.... and that it no longer goes away after just a hot shower and one Advil. AND it all still hurts the next morning! :-O

Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,446,577 times
"It helps if you have never been afraid. You laugh! Most people - I think - are afraid of their own shadow. They don't talk to strangers; they are afraid to travel; they are afraid to be too far from medical facilities; they're afraid to invest.......to put it another way, they are afraid to lose.
And that'll make you OLD![/quote]

Interesting point but isn't that the conundrum? If you are the individual who isn't afraid of anything and thus experienced some amazing events in life, isn't being old and less able - worse? If you never had it maybe you'd never miss it.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:08 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,050,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
We may not consider ourselves old, but that doesn't change the reality of when others consider us that way. I'm still not old, yet in looking around my workplace, I realized I'm older than everyone but one or two people. And have more seniority than everyone else.

It creeps up when you're not looking.
Well, you have to consider that from the day you become an adult, you're "old" to someone. So you're in the bloom of early adulthood in the 20's, you may be "old" to your young children, or to neighbor children or relatives. When you hit your 40's, your teenage kids and their friends will think you're the oldest, most antiquated critter that ever walked with the dinosaurs. As you hit your 50's (and we're still talking about relative youth here, as things go), your younger coworkers will think of you as the "older guy", and your younger neighbors may think of you and a spouse as the "older couple" who lives down the street, and so it goes.

We retired and moved to a county that has the dubious distinction of having the oldest median age- either in the state, or the country, I'd have to look that up to see which it is. So everywhere we look, there are lots and lots of old folks, most of them older than we are, and we've become friendly with a number of other retirees here that are at least 2-3 years older than my husband and I are, and we're active in the community. We're not young either, I'm 66 and my husband is 68, but it's interesting how many people have told us that we're mere youngsters compared to most of the other folks around here- doctors and bankers have told us that.

Sure, sooner or later it'll dawn on you that you're older than many of the other people around you- happens to us all should we live so long. But you know what? Others are always going to think *something* about you, whether it's right or wrong, and in regard to age, it's all relative. The bottom line here- which is also a perk of old age, is that it really doesn't matter how others consider us.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:13 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,050,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I'm a few years older than you and I can relate.

I think my first inkling came at about your age, when I discovered that doing 2 hours of garden work made EVERYTHING hurt.... and that it no longer goes away after just a hot shower and one Advil. AND it all still hurts the next morning! :-O

It does- as does exercise and housework. I find that resting what hurts, ice, heat, elevation or whatever for a bit when needed, and two Aleve capsules work wonders, and when it stops hurting, you can resume what you were doing when it's time. I'm 66, and thank goodness it still works like that. Not the hurt, of course, but the pain relief.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 4,949,189 times
My brother turned 63 yesterday, I am 67.....doesn't sound right, even 57 doesn't sound right...I
can't be THAT old!...yet I laugh about it, grateful to still be alive and (mostly) alert....When did I
first realize I was old?....When most of the people on TV could be my children, or grandchildren.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:01 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
I hired a 16 year old to help us pack up our belongings for the move.

When we came across stuff to get rid of, I would offer some of the stuff to him. I would get a response like "what is that?" (slide rule), or "I have that on my phone." (radio/map book) or the like. By the end of the day, I felt very old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or