U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 05:16 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,797,871 times

Advertisements

I'll be 63 before long, but I definitely don't feel old. In fact, I've got the opposite problem. I feel like I'm still 25 or so. I still want to go do all the same stupid stuff that I did when I was in my 20s. And when I'm able, I do just that. Why not?

Anyway, I see no point in sitting around worrying about being "old." I just do what I want when I want, and I don't worry about what other people think. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 05:58 PM

21,546 posts, read 44,093,768 times
Never thought about my age until I lost my job in Oct. 2009 at 67-1/2.

However, last few years, people I've known all my life have begun to die.
  • Close relative at age 70 (5 years ago - same day I lost my job - of a massive stroke);
  • two former coworkers a year later - male and female - one 57 (cancer), the other 60 (heart attack);
  • another coworker last year - male, age 69, heart attack
  • a month ago the husband of a niece by marriage - age 57 (very successful professional - glioblastoma (brain cancer) diagnosed 15 months earlier) - I attended their wedding 30 years ago;
  • extremely healthy, active (lived her entire life on the family farm) "sister-in-law" by marriage - age 79 just diagnosed w/breast cancer metastasized to lungs - her kids and my son playmates, visited her last week in rehab center. She says docs say two years - I don't think so - she's only doing chemo, for now - radiation would probably kill her - she's VERY thin. Her mother died of same thing at age 71 - she thought she'd escaped.
All of this began when I retired.

Still don't feel or look old (at least that's what people at last month's funeral told me) - but the deaths do give one pause, and I do think about end of life daily - which I NEVER did when I worked.

Time to find a job.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:01 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,351,921 times
Default Peter Pan-itis

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I'm never going to be old.
It's all in the head, anyway
We all have a song to sing, and when its done, its done.

If we all tried to live out our lives with grace, I for one would like that.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:18 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,956,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I am 62 and hubby is 64 and we are OLD. Both have debilitating illnesses, We are both Waiting for God.
Instead of waiting for G-d - maybe you should find better doctors?

It's like the old joke. Three old people are told by their doctor that they're dying. The Catholic says he wants to talk with his Priest. The Protestant says he wants to talk with his Minister. And the Jew says he wants to consult with another doctor (I'm Jewish - and this is an old Jewish joke).

Hang in there - and don't give up before necessary. Robyn

Old 06-15-2014, 06:31 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,956,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Never thought about my age until I lost my job in Oct. 2009 at 67-1/2.

However, last few years, people I've known all my life have begun to die.
  • Close relative at age 70 (5 years ago - same day I lost my job - of a massive stroke);
  • two former coworkers a year later - male and female - one 57 (cancer), the other 60 (heart attack);
  • another coworker last year - male, age 69, heart attack
  • a month ago the husband of a niece by marriage - age 57 (very successful professional - glioblastoma (brain cancer) diagnosed 15 months earlier) - I attended their wedding 30 years ago;
  • extremely healthy, active (lived her entire life on the family farm) "sister-in-law" by marriage - age 79 just diagnosed w/breast cancer metastasized to lungs - her kids and my son playmates, visited her last week in rehab center. She says docs say two years - I don't think so - she's only doing chemo, for now - radiation would probably kill her - she's VERY thin. Her mother died of same thing at age 71 - she thought she'd escaped.
All of this began when I retired.

Still don't feel or look old (at least that's what people at last month's funeral told me) - but the deaths do give one pause, and I do think about end of life daily - which I NEVER did when I worked.

Time to find a job.
I don't know whether it has something to do with the stress of the profession - but we've had lawyers we know dying left and right of us for decades. Most recent was a colleague of my husband who died about a month or so ago - ALS. He was 66.

At least it's not as bad as the AIDS plague. Just about all of the gay guys we knew who would have been our age or somewhat older died from AIDs a few decades ago (before the current drug protocols were developed).

And some people are hit worse personally than others - perhaps purely as a matter of happenstance. Both the brother of our old eye doc in Miami (who was his partner) and the eye doc's wife died of cancer in their 40's. My best friend's father died a while back at age 75. And her husband (late 50's) predeceased her father by about a year. Two women I played golf with died of cancer in their 40's - leaving behind husbands and children.

If I judged how old I was by the number of funerals I've been to - I think I'd be about 175. Robyn

Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 PM

21,546 posts, read 44,093,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If I judged how old I was by the number of funerals I've been to - I think I'd be about 175. Robyn
Indeed. Guess I'd better get used to it. The farm lady is hard one. Always one of my favorite people. Her father died at 91. I thought she'd be around another ten-twelve years. Her older brother, 82, had been married to my now deceased cousin. I remember when we were all married about the same time in the early-mid 60s, had our kids at the same time. Can't believe we've traveled this far. Oh, well.....

Old 06-15-2014, 08:34 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,741,797 times
Be careful those of you who appear to be bragging how young you look and feel.

( yes, I did deliberately use the word " bragging")

In fact, my wife used to fit in that category as her mother lived until 93 and my wife used to say she hoped I didn't die too many years before her.

She passed away Thanksgiving morning .Age 68
I was her care giver and she died after spending the last 4 months bedridden and totally paralyzed.

ALS claimed her in just 2 years 9 months after 1st symptoms were diagnosed.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:08 PM

16,884 posts, read 13,052,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
When was the defining moment you knew you had gotten old? I am 63 and I realize I am old. I work with kids that could be my grandkids. (no children). I see people my age already broken down and barely able to function. I see people running into storefronts because they thought they had the car in reverse. I don't feel like any of the above but I do realize I have much less time on this earth than when I was young. It's just depressing as h--l. Thanks for letting me vent here.

I retired at age 50 before people can start calling me old. I am almost 52 now.
I have a garden, I get to can more, love to ride horses with my daughter and just love being in a state where my backyard would be considered the wilderness for many people.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:21 PM

13,719 posts, read 8,612,921 times
Quote:
Interesting point but isn't that the conundrum? If you are the individual who isn't afraid of anything and thus experienced some amazing events in life, isn't being old and less able - worse? If you never had it maybe you'd never miss it.
Not to me, it isn't. I can't do some of the things I used to, but that doesn't keep me from setting new goals for myself. Even today - age almost 69 - I have a goal book filled with things I want to do. Or be. Or have.

I have always lived my adult life with some purpose in mind. Hopefully, I will die with some unrealized objective still in my book.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 PM

88 posts, read 53,717 times
I am nudging 60 and am starting to feel "not young" as in feeling sore for a few days after too much gardening or painting the gutters. However, I got a smile from my Mum who said she finds it surreal that she is coming up to 94. She has lots of aches and pains and says she gets startled when she sees her reflection in a mirror but inside, she thinks she is 19-20 and she cant figure out where the years have gone. She is still waiting to feel old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or