U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:41 PM

9,764 posts, read 7,047,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Well I'm old from a chronological POV. I'm older than 86% of the people in the US:

United States Age structure - Demographics

What do people think they need to be old - be in the oldest 1%?

Also - the whole tone of this thread is it's somehow bad - an insult - to be thought of as old - or to think that you're old yourself. I see a lot of people here basically boasting that they're "young" - even though they're probably old. I don't think there's anything wrong with being old chronologically. And in other ways too. Like - for example - disliking sitting down at a table with younger people who are so engaged with their electronic toys that they have neither the time nor the inclination to engage in social discourse. Perhaps expressing one's age in other ways too.

Now there's nothing wrong with being healthy/feeling good and/or being active physically/mentally to the best of one's abilities when one is old. But there's nothing wrong with being old per se. My husband and I were at our Dr. Plastic Surgeon this week (my husband needed a possibly cancerous skin lesion removed). And my word - the young women (like 25-30) who were coming in to get what I consider bizarre procedures to avoid looking older. Like post-baby tummy tucks - breast lifts - and lipo. And Botox shots. They're common here for people - both men and women - who are 30-50.

I think it's nice being comfortable in one's skin. And I find nothing more grotesque than the old guys in Florida who try to pretend that they're still young studs. GMAFB. I may be an old lady - but I can still see the difference between a young stud and an old guy pretending he is one . Once you're a certain age guys - the most you can aspire to is a persona that's elegant/rugged/perhaps another type - formal or casual. Which you should cultivate IMO. Although few guys seem to go in that direction (they either try to act like they're 30 or look like slobs). Robyn

That's the key right there, being comfortable in your own skin, however old it may be. I've always felt kind of sorry for folks- male or female- that seem to be so afraid of their advancing age that they'll do anything to deny it, and end up, IMO, looking like silly old folks instead of the spring chickens they aspire to be. I wonder if part of that desperation to hang onto one's youth ( or even an ersatz appearance of youth) is a reaction to the message we're all bombarded with by society, the media outlets, literature that worships youth and equates old age with uselessness, and the old to be sidelined and disposed of when it's convenient to do so.

As for the tone of the thread, I don't think it's the chronological age that people are referring to when they look at being "old" as something less than desirable- we all get there, should we live so long, regardless of anything we do. I think what they're talking about ( and I know I am) is the mentality that because we've reached a certain age, we must be sidelined, sitting on our rocking chairs waiting to die, so to speak, that we can't enjoy life, still contribute to society and our fellow man, and engage in whatever physical activity we choose.

Last edited by Travelassie; 06-15-2014 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 01:26 AM

15,149 posts, read 19,775,478 times
When I was 28 (and very attractive and active), my 5-year-old daughter and I were watching the Winter Olympics on TV. A skier hit a hidden boulder and tumbled all the way down the slope. My daughter was horrified and said to me, "Mom, they should have old people like you doing that so, if they had an accident it wouldnt be so bad, because they'd know the end was near anyway." Seeing myself through her eyes at that moment made me feel older than I've felt in the succeeding 40 years.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:48 AM

676 posts, read 746,394 times
The mirror is my enemy, I think......thanks to all of you for your input. Live long and happy.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:59 AM

4,348 posts, read 6,062,523 times
I'm 64 and I'm not old. My goal this summer is to walk 10,000 steps a day which is about 5 miles. My friend, however, is also 64 and she hoards her steps as if they were gold. She doesn't have health problems but she's afraid of stairs and walking great distances. My husband who is 67 will play golf today, 18 hilly holes without a cart. And @lenora... my 88 y/o mother-in-law also DOESN'T think of herself as old. She's in assisted living and complains about having to be around all those old people.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,333 times
One of my favorite songs is Bon Jovi's "Just Older". The refrain goes like this:

I like the bed I'm sleeping in
It's just like me, it's broken in
It's not old - just older
Like a favorite pair of torn blue jeans
This skin I'm in it's alright with me
It's not old - just older

:-)

Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,100,432 times
What is "old"?

Years? Attitude? Zest for living?

If that's the case, I'm about 22 :-) My drivers license says otherwise . . .

Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 AM

8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
When I was 28 (and very attractive and active), my 5-year-old daughter and I were watching the Winter Olympics on TV. A skier hit a hidden boulder and tumbled all the way down the slope. My daughter was horrified and said to me, "Mom, they should have old people like you doing that so, if they had an accident it wouldnt be so bad, because they'd know the end was near anyway." Seeing myself through her eyes at that moment made me feel older than I've felt in the succeeding 40 years.
When I was 15 my mom was 30. One day I asked her "How does it feel to be 30??"...obviously, to me, 30 was a 'lofty' age. She thought about it a bit and then said, "The same as when I was 15". My first thought was, "Yeah, right". lol THEN I hit 30 and understood what she was saying. Still do.

I was also married to a man who thought that people over 70 should be euthanized. Egad.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:54 AM

2,681 posts, read 2,204,323 times
hmm, when people assume I know nothing about computers.

I was one of the first female code folks at big blue...

Old 06-17-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
When the girl at the local Burger King gave me 10% off for a senior citizen discount. Now, where ever I go they ask if I'm an AARP member to get a discount.
There comes a time- and maybe you haven't hit it yet, that no one asks if you're old enough for the senior discount. They just give it to you....

Old 06-17-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Be careful those of you who appear to be bragging how young you look and feel.

( yes, I did deliberately use the word " bragging")

In fact, my wife used to fit in that category as her mother lived until 93 and my wife used to say she hoped I didn't die too many years before her.

She passed away Thanksgiving morning .Age 68
I was her care giver and she died after spending the last 4 months bedridden and totally paralyzed.

ALS claimed her in just 2 years 9 months after 1st symptoms were diagnosed.
I know, Teddy, and I'm sorry for your loss....

Maybe the take home message, regardless of one's age or physical condition, is to enjoy each day we're given as we can, make the most of it. Because we never really know what might be just around the corner.

May peace and comfort in the love, and memories you shared with your dear wife be yours.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or