U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 05:53 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I had medial meniscus repair about 10 years ago - and had a flareup of my osteoarthritis and needed to see the sports medicine doc who did my surgery as I thought I had injured it again last week..... I had seen him 3 years ago for another flareup.

I tried to schedule an appointment - but "he doesn't take patients over 55 anymore".

WUT?

Doesn't do knee replacement - hasn't in years. I was referred to another colleague.

The PC answer would have been - he hasn't done the surgery in 10 years therefore he cannot see you if you are a candidate.

Don't make me feel old - on YOUR account.
Just speculating...

Doctors usually don't recommend knee replacement for patients < 55. They do repairs instead.

As doctors get older - they tend to do work that's shorter/simpler. Although they may concentrate on that work in the first place. I in fact had a knee doc like that.* He doesn't do replacements (don't think he ever did) - just repairs (arthroscopic surgery and the like) - shots - etc. He never drew a line when it came to the age of his patients (at least not 55 - we saw him after age 55 - but not since age 60 or 65). He just never took patients who were candidates for knee replacement - and referred them to other docs. And they in turn referred non-replacement patients to him. So perhaps it's simply a way to carve up the medical turf using an objective factor like age? Robyn

*A while back - that doc - who was a sole practitioner - went into a big group practice that does everything. Similarly - we went to another big group practice (Mayo). Which can deal with pretty much 100% of our health care needs - including anything we might need WRT our knees. I think these group practices are increasingly where health care is headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 AM

895 posts, read 1,330,598 times
I'm laughing as I read the various thoughts here as I am seeing more and more indications that my body is aging.....it comes as a shock to me each time something new crops up but gives me one more thing to google and utilize diagnostic skills.....

On the upside, since I told my kids to shoot me if I ever began to hyper focus on health, I don't share all the maladies and am thankful for either the absence of certain things or the manageable aspect of others.

An advantage of aging for me is my perspective on appearance is becoming rather "sage-y" (not "saggy") Old photos of me that I thought were so bad look much better than I thought at the time and the interval of not appreciating those "bad" pictures & liking them is getting shorter and shorter. Like I said, it gives perspective .

I think I may be getting smarter but unfortunately I'm forgetting to remember that more times than not..... so to the topic, "when did I finally know I was old", I'm in the beta testing stage of that concept.....or VHS

Old 06-18-2014, 08:02 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,133,940 times
Both my parents lived to age 97. When they were in their mid-seventies mother said they felt like they were 35. When I was 30 and a student in college, classmates called me ma'am and I felt old. LOL Now, I really am old and it isn't just a state of mind. It's reality. Clerks in stores assume I'm mentally challenged. After all, my hair is partly gray. lol

Old 06-18-2014, 08:11 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,623,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If we're not old - then what are we? We're not young. We're not middle aged. Is there something between "middle aged" and "old"? If there isn't - I'm sure someone trying to sell us stuff will come up with some euphemism. Robyn
According to the NIH and others, if you're age 65-74, you're "young old."

The "old" are 75-84.

The "oldest old" are 85+.

As for me, when I noticed my skin was getting crepey, that was my first clue I was getting old, or I should say "young old!"

Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
I am not getting old.

I am getting wiser.

Seer, Healer, Mentor!
Herbalist, Energy-worker, Alchemist!

I am the self-appointed, self-annointed Shaman
for my tribe.

I make magick whilst I cook a meal
or wash the clothes
or draw a picture in the pathway's sand.

I am the archivist . . . I hold memories in my heart.

I can mend the tapestry of your life with a song!

I bind psychic wounds with soothing words
and with hands that wipe away a tear.

I am Mother, Sister, Daughter, Lover, Friend

I am not an age!

Come close . . . let me tell you how beautiful you are . . . how unique you are . . . there is only one you!

Let me chart your comings and goings, your losses, your triumphs.

Let me draw for you the Mandala of your life!

I am not getting older.

I am the Shaman for my tribe.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 AM

7,110 posts, read 8,149,204 times
Gosh, it never occurred to me that I was "old". I'm 66, retired, and so busy that I guess I didn't take the time to notice...notice what? I have almost no gray hair - what there is, is camouflaged by my natural blond. No wrinkles to speak of. Not fat, not lame, not in pain. Good energy level.

I have been very active all my life and remain so. My brother, who is a year younger, looks much like me and neither of us is concerned about being "old". Neither of us are taking any long-term meds. We have both been married almost 40 years, and have kids and grandkids.

With the craziness in this world, we both feel that we are a steadying influence on our spouses, kids, and grandkids, who come to us with problems that we never had to face in our own youth. Neighbors and friends treat us pretty much as they always did; they need and request our help, and we gladly give of it. The only thing that makes me feel "old" (more out-dated, really) is some of this high tech stuff. I can text and tweet and have fun with my grandkids, but am at a loss about some of the new things unless they explain it to me - which they always do.

"Old"? Heck no. I'm just starting to have some real fun now!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:34 AM

1,605 posts, read 1,270,557 times
When did I know?? When I came across this thread!

Old 06-18-2014, 02:06 PM

13,645 posts, read 8,559,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
When was the defining moment you knew you had gotten old?........
It will be my favorite niece gets right in my face and hollers, "You look great (Listener)!"
Then, it's over.

Or when you hear them them talking about how well you are doing, and they comment that you 'had a bowel movement and everything'!

That's when it's over.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:02 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,773 times
I have not yet reached any defining moment yet but become increasingly aware that I am chronologically older than most of my co-workers. It doesn't help that I don't look my age - I feel like an imposter since they think I am ten years younger than I am. I am still in that zone right now where I am in denial I guess because it seems like it all went so fast. I live in a very young city and honestly, I would actually like to slow down a little and smell the flowers. I no longer see the value in rushing around and doing a million things every week so I guess that might make me "old".

Old 06-18-2014, 03:13 PM
mlb

3,178 posts, read 2,853,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Just speculating...

As doctors get older - they tend to do work that's shorter/simpler. Although they may concentrate on that work in the first place. I in fact had a knee doc like that.* He doesn't do replacements (don't think he ever did) - just repairs (arthroscopic surgery and the like) - shots - etc. He never drew a line when it came to the age of his patients (at least not 55 - we saw him after age 55 - but not since age 60 or 65). He just never took patients who were candidates for knee replacement - and referred them to other docs. And they in turn referred non-replacement patients to him. So perhaps it's simply a way to carve up the medical turf using an objective factor like age? Robyn
This doctor can't be older than 50 himself. But if he's not done TNR in 10 years I don't want him touching me. The medicine/science changes so fast. I understand that the new knees are lasting over 25 years.

I DO NOT want to have to do this twice.

I liked the new guy - I just like continuity of care - and the first docs PA was pretty swell too.

The guy I saw was competent - and didn't push me into anything. My time my decision my schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or