U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:00 PM

4,576 posts, read 7,070,096 times

Advertisements

I like that "young-old" thing, I think I'll start using that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 05:26 PM

9,770 posts, read 7,057,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
True! Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm...". lol I keep wondering if my Grandma has moved in. If she has she better start cooking! lol
And cleaning up after herself!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:37 PM

9,770 posts, read 7,057,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Dave Barry (humor writer in his mid-60's) wrote:

Almost half of the people over 40 believe they look younger than they are. This says something important about older Americans: we have terrible eyesight.

Robyn
LOL! Well, my dear husband ( who's as sweet as they come) tells me that when he looks at me he still sees the beautiful young woman he met so long ago- that's not what I see when I look in the mirror for sure! I figure obviously HIS eyesight is going. But I also told him that when they tell him his time for cataract surgery has come, maybe he better not have it.

And we both laugh like he!! and drink a toast to each other with our Geritol.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 PM

1,327 posts, read 783,662 times
IDK how the heck I stumbled onto this thread! Kind of funny but kind of scary as well. My BF is older but I forget he is because he seems so much younger then he really is. You older/younger people are scaring me!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
IDK how the heck I stumbled onto this thread! Kind of funny but kind of scary as well. My BF is older but I forget he is because he seems so much younger then he really is. You older/younger people are scaring me!
I felt light years removed from most of the topics in this forum only 5 years ago. My (older) husband's health status changed and everything, and I do mean everything about my life changed just as quickly.

I wouldn't be thinking about most of the issues/topics/situations that folks have brought up on this thread if I were single and on my own.

Your life can change in a moment. All it takes is an accident or a difficult diagnosis/prognosis that comes out of nowhere. It happens.

Good humor helps . . . and no need to be "scared" . . . if we live, we all will have various common issues that will arise as we get older.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:49 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,953,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
This doctor can't be older than 50 himself. But if he's not done TNR in 10 years I don't want him touching me. The medicine/science changes so fast. I understand that the new knees are lasting over 25 years.

I DO NOT want to have to do this twice.

I liked the new guy - I just like continuity of care - and the first docs PA was pretty swell too.

The guy I saw was competent - and didn't push me into anything. My time my decision my schedule.
Lay people have no way of judging the competence of their doctors. Or even a PA either. I try to get advice from other doctors I know in a variety of places for a variety of reasons (my family has a lot of doctors too and I will sometimes network through them for really important stuff).

Also - when it comes to knee replacements - a fair part of doctor skills these days consists of picking the correct replacement - and doing all the computer stuff to make sure the replacement lines up perfectly with your existing anatomy.

I agree that if I were contemplating an operation like this - I'd pick a surgeon who did lots of them.

OTOH - one can't expect miracles. If your knees are shot because they're carrying 300 pounds - a knee replacement is more likely to fail than if you're normal weight. Also - the older you get - the greater the chance of medical complications as a result of surgery (my 90+ year old aunt had 2 total knees after age 90 - and was rescued from cardiac failure after both operations - she's lucky her son was a doctor in charge at the place she had the operations - slept in her room after the operations - and called the crash carts). I honestly don't remember anything about your particulars. If any shoe fits - wear it. If it doesn't - forget about it. Robyn

Old 06-19-2014, 04:47 PM

241 posts, read 227,175 times
What is this old thing you speak of?

Old 06-20-2014, 04:30 PM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Lay people have no way of judging the competence of their doctors. Or even a PA either. I try to get advice from other doctors I know in a variety of places for a variety of reasons (my family has a lot of doctors too and I will sometimes network through them for really important stuff).

Also - when it comes to knee replacements - a fair part of doctor skills these days consists of picking the correct replacement - and doing all the computer stuff to make sure the replacement lines up perfectly with your existing anatomy.

I agree that if I were contemplating an operation like this - I'd pick a surgeon who did lots of them.

OTOH - one can't expect miracles. If your knees are shot because they're carrying 300 pounds - a knee replacement is more likely to fail than if you're normal weight. Also - the older you get - the greater the chance of medical complications as a result of surgery (my 90+ year old aunt had 2 total knees after age 90 - and was rescued from cardiac failure after both operations - she's lucky her son was a doctor in charge at the place she had the operations - slept in her room after the operations - and called the crash carts). I honestly don't remember anything about your particulars. If any shoe fits - wear it. If it doesn't - forget about it. Robyn
For one thing, I am not a "lay" person. I credentialed physicians for a Los Angeles hospital and have worked in medical records and hospitals for years. Nursing academia as well. I do know how to check physicians out via the state medical board. Some of my best friends are nurses. THEY know more than you'd ever want to know about a physician's practice, "rate of return", complications, etc.

My knees are shot because of family biology. None of us are obese. We all have arthritis. It takes it's toll.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 PM

8,627 posts, read 9,701,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And cleaning up after herself!
No kidding. I've been spending so much time at Mom's I don't know how my house gets messy...and the dishes in the sink!! Gads. "Somebody" has been living in my house. lol

Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 PM

8,627 posts, read 9,701,047 times
Default I think, today...

I am feeling a tad 'old'. I am tired. It's been a long week and I'm not used to 'working two jobs'. Loss of sleep, having to get up at 5 AM every morning, long day at work and then 'work' till about 10 PM after I get home. I'm whupped. Lucky me though, I have three days off this week so I can get caught up.

Mom is doing "okay" but not great. Sometimes I wonder about the "good". The pros are that she has an excellent appetite, likes my cooking and eats really well. She is on top of her meds, knows what they are all for and when to take them. I got her a box with the days of the week on it and she doesn't have to mess with the bottles every time and she's taking more meds than I knew! Nothing serious but probably what most older people take...cholesterol, water, blood thinner, etc.. She can still play her games on the computer...but not real well anymore...and remembers/talks about news stories. The cons... She does get things mixed up sometimes like confusing people and what someone said/did. You tell her one thing and she'll tell someone else something different. She sleeps way too much and doesn't get out of her chair enough. Some of this I chalk up to 'old age' but there are times she'll just talk and it's all mumbo jumbo or things that happened a long time ago and she seems half asleep at those times. And barely audible.

I'm working with a couple of different agencies to get some help in the home for her. My niece hasn't been here for days and I've given up on her. So Mom has been spending all her days basically alone till I get home after 3 PM. She'll sometimes fix a bowl of cereal in the morning but not always. At least when I'm here I see that she eats regularly. She's been doing okay and I don't worry so much about her falling, although the possibility is always there, I worry more about her just sitting and being alone all that time.

Things are plugging along but I am tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or