Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,425,985 times

Advertisements

My brother is 14 years older than me.

He's old, I'm not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 01:43 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
If we're not old - then what are we? We're not young. We're not middle aged. Is there something between "middle aged" and "old"? If there isn't - I'm sure someone trying to sell us stuff will come up with some euphemism. Robyn

Old 06-15-2014, 01:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
My brother is 14 years older than me.

He's old, I'm not
My siblings are all 18 mos. to 11 years younger than me. And all but one are OLDER than me. Maybe not chronologically but in a lot of other ways. One is almost, but not quite, totally disabled. One is working on getting disability and one is 'thinking about it'. They all range from 61-70.

I guess the one time I really thought about my age and that I might be "old" was the day I was writing down all of Mom's grandkids, greats and great greats. That's when I realized that I have 11 grandkids myself ranging in age from 17 to 33. I have 6 great grandkids ages 1-9. The day the oldest one started 2nd grade was a 'kicker' too. How did I get this old? And who are all these people saying they are related to me? I'm not OLD enough for all that. LOLOLOL

I've always said that I will not get "old". I can't help aging...that ol' chronological thing...but I will always be "young at heart", positive and keep a good attitude. Every day is a good day and life is too short to have bad ones. I may have some worries and concerns but I won't have a bad day, if I can help it. And I won't let others try to turn it that way either. Sometimes you just have to laugh.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
When my spinal chord turned on me last year and the cells were dying-off requiring surgery to save what was left and I was left with irreparable physical deficits. That was last year and it hit almost on my 67th birthday!

Old 06-15-2014, 02:30 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If we're not old - then what are we? We're not young. We're not middle aged. Is there something between "middle aged" and "old"? If there isn't - I'm sure someone trying to sell us stuff will come up with some euphemism. Robyn
We're whatever we want to call ourselves, LOL.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:08 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
We're whatever we want to call ourselves, LOL.
Well I'm old from a chronological POV. I'm older than 86% of the people in the US:

United States Age structure - Demographics

What do people think they need to be old - be in the oldest 1%?

Also - the whole tone of this thread is it's somehow bad - an insult - to be thought of as old - or to think that you're old yourself. I see a lot of people here basically boasting that they're "young" - even though they're probably old. I don't think there's anything wrong with being old chronologically. And in other ways too. Like - for example - disliking sitting down at a table with younger people who are so engaged with their electronic toys that they have neither the time nor the inclination to engage in social discourse. Perhaps expressing one's age in other ways too.

Now there's nothing wrong with being healthy/feeling good and/or being active physically/mentally to the best of one's abilities when one is old. But there's nothing wrong with being old per se. My husband and I were at our Dr. Plastic Surgeon this week (my husband needed a possibly cancerous skin lesion removed). And my word - the young women (like 25-30) who were coming in to get what I consider bizarre procedures to avoid looking older. Like post-baby tummy tucks - breast lifts - and lipo. And Botox shots. They're common here for people - both men and women - who are 30-50.

I think it's nice being comfortable in one's skin. And I find nothing more grotesque than the old guys in Florida who try to pretend that they're still young studs. GMAFB. I may be an old lady - but I can still see the difference between a young stud and an old guy pretending he is one . Once you're a certain age guys - the most you can aspire to is a persona that's elegant/rugged/perhaps another type - formal or casual. Which you should cultivate IMO. Although few guys seem to go in that direction (they either try to act like they're 30 or look like slobs). Robyn

Old 06-15-2014, 03:24 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,260 times
When the girl at the local Burger King gave me 10% off for a senior citizen discount. Now, where ever I go they ask if I'm an AARP member to get a discount.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:28 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
When the girl at the local Burger King gave me 10% off for a senior citizen discount. Now, where ever I go they ask if I'm an AARP member to get a discount.
I love getting discounts, but I always have to ask.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:30 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Well I'm old from a chronological POV. I'm older than 86% of the people in the US:

United States Age structure - Demographics

What do people think they need to be old - be in the oldest 1%?

Also - the whole tone of this thread is it's somehow bad - an insult - to be thought of as old - or to think that you're old yourself. I see a lot of people here basically boasting that they're "young" - even though they're probably old. I don't think there's anything wrong with being old chronologically. And in other ways too. Like - for example - disliking sitting down at a table with younger people who are so engaged with their electronic toys that they have neither the time nor the inclination to engage in social discourse. Perhaps expressing one's age in other ways too.

Now there's nothing wrong with being healthy/feeling good and/or being active physically/mentally to the best of one's abilities when one is old. But there's nothing wrong with being old per se. My husband and I were at our Dr. Plastic Surgeon this week (my husband needed a possibly cancerous skin lesion removed). And my word - the young women (like 25-30) who were coming in to get what I consider bizarre procedures to avoid looking older. Like post-baby tummy tucks - breast lifts - and lipo. And Botox shots. They're common here for people - both men and women - who are 30-50.

I think it's nice being comfortable in one's skin. And I find nothing more grotesque than the old guys in Florida who try to pretend that they're still young studs. GMAFB. I may be an old lady - but I can still see the difference between a young stud and an old guy pretending he is one . Once you're a certain age guys - the most you can aspire to is a persona that's elegant/rugged/perhaps another type - formal or casual. Which you should cultivate IMO. Although few guys seem to go in that direction (they either try to act like they're 30 or look like slobs). Robyn
I don't mind being the age I am, which is probably a good thing since I can't do anything about it. I am grateful and glad that I've made it this far and in good health. I suppose, if/when, I DO start experiencing health problems it might change my outlook. But knowing me I expect I'd just go with what's going on and do my best to get through it. It's okay with me if people want to consider me "old". I've earned all my gray hairs and wrinkles and neither of them bother me in the least. They are just a part of me and I'm very comfortable in my own skin.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,129,954 times
I am 62 and hubby is 64 and we are OLD. Both have debilitating illnesses, We are both Waiting for God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement