U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 05:12 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times

Advertisements

deleted post, posted in wrong thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,165,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
\\

I found this to be to be true in NC also. Building is much more costly than buying a resale.
Absolutely true . . . and why we have made the decision to renovate an existing property.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,302,495 times
Ani, thanks for the rep, my dad swears by his probiotic.

I can't wait to see what my mom does with the new place, she has the Martha Stewart gene.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Ani, thanks for the rep, my dad swears by his probiotic.

I can't wait to see what my mom does with the new place, she has the Martha Stewart gene.
I love to decorate, too -- in fact, it is my favorite thing to do. I redid the mountain house in "french country cottage" (only I see the french connection, though, I am told, lololol). I have had a great time with it. Your mom will doubtless enjoy the process and everyone will benefit from her ability to make a house a home! Wonder what style she will choose . . . Texas Cottage would be a lot of fun. Whitewashed floors, beadboard . . .

Old 07-22-2014, 12:44 PM

Florida house, for years she lived amidst remodeling and could not decorate even though they had wonderful antiques. There are fab high end thrifts up there so it will be amazing for sure.

My decorator was the Salvation Army LOL

Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM

I am downsizing as I have to get this primary residence on the market and move into our townhome. Time is running out for the market here in Charlotte (missing all those summer transplants!!!). So I think we are going to have to move into the townhouse b/f the upgrades are all finished there. I need to paint the master bedroom and some doors and all the exterior windows on our primary residence. Chaos ahead. Best to get the stuff out of here b/f I tackle that.

I thought I would have a hard time deciding what to let go but I am not. Since I am already aware of where I will "put things" in the townhouse, that part of the process has made decisions sooooo much easier! I am finding that most of my furniture is going to work in the new space. I am finding that other than the crystal and china and artwork, I am not so attached to a lot of stuff as in the past . . . dumping books, as I am going to e-versions these days. Just don't need all these bookcases anymore. Hubby has six bookcases in his office; I have 3 in mine. So that has been a big relief. Keeping only some reference books that I refer to or find especially beautiful.

I will have adequate space for linens (I collect antique linens) so don't have to dump any of that. I am deconstructing a few pieces of clothing to re-use the fabric and dumping out clothing that I have found hard to give up but that no longer fits. I am not going to regret no longer having the stuff if (when!!!) I lose weight. All of it classic, but I have to move on! I was going to sell it on Ebay but I just don't have time for that right now. Oh well. Goodwill donation, Tax write off. Might try to sell a few pieces of furniture that are now in storage - will do that on Craigslist. But again, such a pain, so I may give things away to folks who will appreciate it. Have given several collectibles to my son but he has things in storage and his storage building is full!

So the only daunting part of this move (and the downsizing tasks) appears to be the physically taxing aspect of it. With my bad shoulder and now - a knee problem - I can't heave things around and lifting is a real problem. So I got a dolly and a really good ladder/step stool with rails at the top and hopefully, that will help with moving boxes of stuff around. I am trying to find folks to come in and help me with that aspect of things - a few hours a day - but that is not working out. The search continues.

As far as personal papers and files . . . no one cares about that stuff so I am dumping it all. At the same time, my mother keeps printing off all this stuff from my Father and his career and I just want to cry. I am scanning part of it and putting it on a memory stick, but it drives the point home -- no one else should be burdened with all these trappings of my career.

Most "things" can be replaced so if I decide I have made a terrible mistake with letting something go . . . I will replace it later. The good thing is - I am not going to have to let that much go, lol. I will hire Two Men and a Truck to pack it all up and move it to the townhouse, and then a UHaul for anything going to the mountain house.

I don't want to let go of my upright freezer but that is one thing I haven't found a place for in the new space.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Florida house, for years she lived amidst remodeling and could not decorate even though they had wonderful antiques. There are fab high end thrifts up there so it will be amazing for sure.

My decorator was the Salvation Army LOL
Oh - Florida. Why did I have it in my mind that it was Texas? I am losing it, CCc girl!!!

Yes, high end thrifts!!! Treasure trove of goodies!!!!

Old 07-22-2014, 03:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As far as personal papers and files . . . no one cares about that stuff so I am dumping it all. At the same time, my mother keeps printing off all this stuff from my Father and his career and I just want to cry. I am scanning part of it and putting it on a memory stick, but it drives the point home -- no one else should be burdened with all these trappings of my career.

You go, girl! I finally solved this thing of my "personal papers and work samples" by taking just one sample of the best of everything and putting that sample into an archival quality plastic sleeve in a giant 3-ring notebook. I had NO idea I had been saving six and seven copies of all this stuff for so many years. Trashbags went out! Now I have one huge 3-ring of work samples (as if anybody cares, LOL) and one huge one of my writing life and publications (as if anybody cares, LOL again). It was my simplistic way of wrapping things up. My instruction is to put it on a table during my memorial service, with my framed artwork here and there, but now I'm thinking I want to dump that idea too.

The real nightmare is my computer files.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:49 PM

LMAO, I'm an email hoarder, I have emails from fam back to 2006.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,507,006 times
Quote:
LMAO, I'm an email hoarder, I have emails from fam back to 2006.
LOL..the IRS would never want you working for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement