U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 07:08 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times

Advertisements

I am getting better and better with this downsizing I'm finding I'm not nearly as sentimental as I use to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 05:22 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,301,089 times
Isn't it amazing, once you start getting rid of stuff how empowered and liberating it feels?

LOL HappyTexan, too funny!!!!!!!!!

Someone swooped in and bought a half dozen books I have up, the load gets lighter!! YAY!!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:44 AM

6,443 posts, read 3,070,464 times
We upsized our retirement home and property, but severely downsized all our "stuff"

We bought our new home before we sold the old one and because we needed to be able to stay in it, we furnished it bare bones. The great zen feeling that gave me when we came here was very motivating to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:30 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,301,089 times
If our plan goes accordingly we will also be upsizing in house but downsizing in stuff.

The house is larger but has no attic, basement or workshop, all of which we have.

I pulled out some old handbags I haven't used in a long time, off to ebay they go. After ten years it's pretty obvious I will not use them anymore.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:23 AM

6,443 posts, read 3,070,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
If our plan goes accordingly we will also be upsizing in house but downsizing in stuff.

The house is larger but has no attic, basement or workshop, all of which we have.

I pulled out some old handbags I haven't used in a long time, off to ebay they go. After ten years it's pretty obvious I will not use them anymore.
I hear you. All my closets were full in our old house. Most of my closets here are empty! And, there's nothing in the attic.

I also got rid of most towels, sheets and blankets. My linen closets are a thing of beauty lol.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:07 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,507,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I hear you. All my closets were full in our old house. Most of my closets here are empty! And, there's nothing in the attic.

I also got rid of most towels, sheets and blankets. My linen closets are a thing of beauty lol.
Mine is too now.

I sat down one afternoon and went through everything.
That odd pillowcase, 1/2 of a sheet set, odd colored towel,etc. all got tossed or made into rags.

Seems we keep these oddball pieces because they aren't ripped or worn and seem perfectly good.
Yet they are never used because there's no match

Old 07-26-2014, 04:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
We upsized our retirement home and property, but severely downsized all our "stuff"

We bought our new home before we sold the old one and because we needed to be able to stay in it, we furnished it bare bones. The great zen feeling that gave me when we came here was very motivating to get rid of a lot of stuff.
I love an uncluttered home. A space that shows off the integrity of the rooms, whether modern or antique, with just a few accent touches here and there. I've always been off-put by homes with dozens of family photos on walls, in hallways, and on just about every surface. (One photo here and there that's a prize shot and well-framed is a nice statement.) Some homes also have an overabundance of poorly placed artwork (generally mounted in isolation too high up, lol). Sometimes I can't wait to get out of a place that has so much stuff in it, too much of everything including window treatments.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,895,668 times
We are downsizing from 1800SF 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath, two story with basement to 1600SF single story 2 bed, 2 full bath, no basement. No stairs!! From a lawn with garden to rocks and plants.

I'm leaving the snow blower, lawn mower, garden tools, some hand tools, leaf blower, electric trimmer, Mantis tiller, all ladders, etc. I'm taking power tools, portable table saw and a 2 pound sledge.

Approximately 1/2 of our belongings are being picked up tomorrow for auction.

Yeah, we're downsizing.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:45 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,018,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
From a lawn with garden to rocks and plants.
Yep. I've got to do that, too. I will keep several raised garden beds. I can weed those while sitting in a chair, LOL.

Congrats on your upcoming move.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:50 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
very humorous ----same stats i know but used for an utterly different spin.

1 in 3 adults under 30 live with mom and dad.
the reason they are in big houses and working is bek the kidults and their babies and girl friends are sitting in the living room waiting to be fed and for their student loans to be serviced.
old pop is getting tired and they think he isnt making room enough for the new kids yet. LOL
when old pop gets too broken down to bring home the bacon he becomes the bacon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement