U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 01:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Once I realized what the future might bring (disability, moving) I was on fire to get rid of stuff. I am down to less than a hundred pairs of shoes and fifty handbags.
100 pair of shoes??? 50 handbags?? OMg, I'm seriously ascetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,302,495 times
LMAO, my mother feeds my habit, and I hers. We send each other shoes and bags routinely. (I had to Google ascetic)

Choff, it's easier than ever now to do the bay. I print all the labels for shipping right from my sold items page, out they go into the mailbox.

When I have big stuff I do a carrier pickup request online and put it on the porch. I keep the driveway clear so she can back right up to it.

I also leave her frozen bottles of water or Gatorade every few days, the dividends are great.

Start slowly and it will all fall back into place. Questions, let me know, I can help.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:21 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times
Quote:
LMAO, my mother feeds my habit, and I hers. We send each other shoes and bags routinely. (I had to Google ascetic).....

.... I can help.

Me I had to google ascetic. Nice picture painted in that word NEG.

CCc girl don't give my wife any more ideas. I spent a weekend building a built in shelfing unit for her shoes and it don't fit them all.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:42 AM

I'm thinning the herd and selling ones not worn in awhile, I try to have a one in one out rule.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:32 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
During our move preparations we contacted an auctioneer and he came to our house and looked over what we had.

As a result he ended up sending the "big" truck and two high school sophomores to house to collect everything we aren't taking with us. They filled that truck and had to return the next day for the remainder. They got everything except the BBQ and we decided to take it with us.

We estimate that at least half of what we own is going to auction.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:42 PM

My mom had an estate sale lady come, she said her fee is fifty percent??????? Sounds wrong to me, Tek, what's the take for your auctioneer?

Old 07-31-2014, 05:21 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,597,931 times
Quote:
LMAO, my mother feeds my habit, and I hers. We send each other shoes and bags routinely. (I had to Google ascetic)

Choff, it's easier than ever now to do the bay. I print all the labels for shipping right from my sold items page, out they go into the mailbox.

When I have big stuff I do a carrier pickup request online and put it on the porch. I keep the driveway clear so she can back right up to it.

I also leave her frozen bottles of water or Gatorade every few days, the dividends are great.

Start slowly and it will all fall back into place. Questions, let me know, I can help.

CcGirl, thanks for the confidence boost. I may take you up on this once we get into it. I just had a discovery, and an addition, to my eBay pile today. I was finally dealing with three large bags of plastic storage containers, moving into a kitchen half the size of my old one, when I happened to look on eBay at Tupperware. Oh my, everything listed had sold! I have one large bag of nothing but their storage modular units that went into the eBay pile immediately. Took care of the problem for the moment.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Curious to know if anyone is "fighting" their partner or spouse to get rid of his/her end of things?

Our garage and tool area is a disaster, despite all our disposal of "stuff." He claims he needs every blessed last piece of you-know-what for some project into the distant future. I've found dozens of cans of unsorted nails and screws, hundreds of uncategorized items that he claims he "just knows where to put his finger on it." A hodgepodge. I put my foot down and said we are going to clean up and organize, and he's balking. I don't want to push too hard but honestly, his area of "must-haves" for renovations (which we are almost done with and which we will never do again if I can help it) is out of control.

How to handle a reluctant organizer (other than to back off)??

Old 07-31-2014, 06:57 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Curious to know if anyone is "fighting" their partner or spouse to get rid of his/her end of things?

Our garage and tool area is a disaster, despite all our disposal of "stuff." He claims he needs every blessed last piece of you-know-what for some project into the distant future. I've found dozens of cans of unsorted nails and screws, hundreds of uncategorized items that he claims he "just knows where to put his finger on it." A hodgepodge. I put my foot down and said we are going to clean up and organize, and he's balking. I don't want to push too hard but honestly, his area of "must-haves" for renovations (which we are almost done with and which we will never do again if I can help it) is out of control.

That is all that I have been hearing for months .... "we have to get rid of all this junk." I told the DW that I was not giving up anything until the Imelda Marcos shoe collection had been halved. That was purely a stalling tactic that backfired as 50 pairs went bye-bye.

I don't mind getting rid of stuff - a lot of stuff - but I would like to get the opportunity to look through the remaining 4-5 boxes of personal memorabilia (my memory boxes) before I have to make a decision.

Besides, I have a method to my madness. I put all of my long sleeve shirts on the shelf instead of on hangers. In January 2016, any shirts that are still on the shelf are going bye-bye after the guys here tell me you never need a long sleeve shirt in Tucson. I think other clothes will go as I will not be able to maintain my weight with all of the daily forced marches.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

Back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement