U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 05:19 PM

176 posts, read 510,090 times

Advertisements

Here is a New York Times article which seems to suggest hiring $60/hour downsizing help: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/23/yo...ings.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 06:24 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times
Wow..a new cottage industry is born with aging boomers !!!

And good money to boot. I did the math for the below and just downsizing that one couple raked in $6000-$7000.

From the OP:
The downsizing credit was an incentive for the Thompsons, who started in February with a once-a-week visit, for three to four hours, to help sort belongings and get unwanted items out the door. By April, they had increased the declutterer’s schedule to twice a week to meet their target of an August move, and preparing their house for sale by the fall.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow..a new cottage industry is born with aging boomers !!!

And good money to boot. I did the math for the below and just downsizing that one couple raked in $6000-$7000.
Doing this type of work you can end up with all kinds of 'Stuff' you can sell (RV's, Airplanes, Machine Shops, antiques, farms, homes, investment properties, motorcycles, ...)

Helping others downsize is a good way to accumulate.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:18 AM

2,433 posts, read 1,668,181 times
My MIL's neighbor hired a couple to organize her home. They went through her books, cabinets and clutter, clearing and cleaning. She was quite happy with the improvements. They even reorganized her canned goods in the pantry.

Since we are snowbirding, we are doing what I'm calling a slow move. We plan to eventually be in one house. I went through our Christmas things in the attic to take to FL and left behind a lot the first trip down. This summer we brought down the rest left behind in the attic, along with other holiday decorations. Going through things a second time made it easier to toss or donate things with some sentimentality attached. I don't want to take clutter with me and have many things I couldn't seem to let go of that were given by friends or family. A second look made it easier to let it go.

In the article linked above they recommend going through closets and drawers every six months. Going back and forth between two places allows me to see "things" when I've been away for a while, things I overlook when I see them everyday. Since I have to put things away that we bring along each trip, I can easily see what needs to go now. If we had sold the house in NY, I would have brought along the clutter because I wasn't ready to let it go.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:50 AM

13,043 posts, read 15,397,378 times
I don't know if I can afford to, but if so I would like to upsize when I retire. I want a house that is big enough to host family gatherings that include grandchildren, and several acres with plenty of room for them to run and play outside. Also would like to have room for a couple of storage buildings on the property. Our house right now is fine and spacious for day to day living for two people, but not so much for gatherings. The dilemma is that our current house is paid for. Wish we had bigger house/land and it was paid for!

Old 08-23-2014, 07:01 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,597,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

In the article linked above they recommend going through closets and drawers every six months. Going back and forth between two places allows me to see "things" when I've been away for a while, things I overlook when I see them everyday. Since I have to put things away that we bring along each trip, I can easily see what needs to go now. If we had sold the house in NY, I would have brought along the clutter because I wasn't ready to let it go.
A second, later, look is so true. We spent the last year downsizing and did many of the things mentioned. I started with Freecycle, then gave to local church thrift shops. Probably made almost a $1000 on Craigslist over the period, plus yard sale and at the end discovered our local neighborhood Facebook page which was wonderful since it was real local for freebies and sales.

BUT, now that we've moved and I'm going through the multitude of boxes with new eyes, I'm still doing a lot of pairing down. First thing I found was a local church's thrift shop. They've had many trips already. We are out in the boonies now so Freecycle and Craigslist won't really work so we are getting ready to try eBay. It's a process. Know we are still hanging on to too much, but wow, what a difference than before at least.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
For us downsizing at this point is by far dealing with heavy stuff, not clothes and books and brick-a-brack and utensils (already did all that).

Because we renovated "this old house," the garage has been filled for the past three years with lumber and more lumber and tons of scrap wood. And disorganized (not me! ) tools and other stuff.

Today was a big day, lots of progress. I had to promise him the moon including dinner on me to please please please rent a truck and get rid of at least half of that stuff.

He did it! He just drove away with the first truckload and waiting for him to come back for the second. He's keeping "some" better pieces of lumber to finish up projects this year, but oh so much is now gone.

I can now get to my freezer out there and see the single door at the back. What's dismaying is that even with over half of it all gone, the other half remains. I'll try not to be obsessed but this WILL be completed by spring. Year 2015 will be a year of decisions, and with a much lighter load we should be able to know better what we want by then.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:28 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,302,495 times
OMG I would love to do this for other people! Some day.........

Congrats on getting the hubs motivated negirl!!!!!!!

Feeling under the weather, trying to get motivated.......

Old 08-23-2014, 01:41 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
He did it! He just drove away with the first truckload and waiting for him to come back for the second. He's keeping "some" better pieces of lumber to finish up projects this year, but oh so much is now gone.
Congratulations - and ya didn't have to sneak stuff into the trash can

Old 08-23-2014, 02:01 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
The auction for all the "stuff" we sent is tomorrow. Sometime next week we will get the results. I've decided that even if we make nothing from it I don't care. It's worth it just to have it gone.

Meanwhile the garage is half full of boxes and so is the house. Slow and steady wins the race. Being 66 probably has something to do with the "slow" as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement