U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 02:01 PM

134 posts, read 54,656 times

Advertisements

We have always wanted to retire out west (currently in MD). Decided that it was too far from family to permanently move, so we bought a condo outside Phoenix to spend winters. In May we sold our home in Montgomery Co MD in order to downsize to a smaller home. We had 2 yard sales, sold stuff on Craig's List and donated to Salvation Army. It wasn't easy. We couldn't find a 1 story home that we liked so we are renting a townhouse in MD until June 2015. Never thought I'd live in a townhouse but I love not having to do yard work. Don't miss it one bit. In the next several months we plan to visit the Delaware beaches which have a lower cost of living. If we find a smaller 1 story house to buy, we will winter in AZ and spend the rest of the time in DE closer to family. Got to get out of Montgomery County MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 02:02 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

Feeling under the weather, trying to get motivated.......
Me too and I am soooooooo frustrated about it - so I ate a can of Pringles - that didn't help.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:04 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
For us downsizing at this point is by far dealing with heavy stuff, not clothes and books and brick-a-brack and utensils (already did all that).

Because we renovated "this old house," the garage has been filled for the past three years with lumber and more lumber and tons of scrap wood. And disorganized (not me! ) tools and other stuff.

Today was a big day, lots of progress. I had to promise him the moon including dinner on me to please please please rent a truck and get rid of at least half of that stuff.

He did it! He just drove away with the first truckload and waiting for him to come back for the second. He's keeping "some" better pieces of lumber to finish up projects this year, but oh so much is now gone.

I can now get to my freezer out there and see the single door at the back. What's dismaying is that even with over half of it all gone, the other half remains. I'll try not to be obsessed but this WILL be completed by spring. Year 2015 will be a year of decisions, and with a much lighter load we should be able to know better what we want by then.
Stay on it! It can only get better the more you clean out.

You can tell hubby that there's a poster on CD that knows what he's going through. It's tough, but I like not having all that stuff to contend with.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:24 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,022,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You can tell hubby that there's a poster on CD that knows what he's going through. It's tough, but I like not having all that stuff to contend with.
So true!

I spent from Jan - May last year getting rid of stuff and then moved to Des Moines in August with two relocubes and what fit in my car.

I'm so glad it's now and I'm not going through that, but it was really worth it not to have to deal with all that stuff in the new house.

Tek, I'm only 10 years younger that you.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:46 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,306,152 times
{{{{{Tek}}}}} good luck with your sale!

Nellie, I hear you on the yard work. I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't have to mow uphill with a walk behind. Our FL place is 5 acres but nice and flat. Yeah, the mountains look cool until you have to manicure yours.

Umb, sorry you're not feeling good. I've been battling this sinus infection (round four, first originated August 2013) for two weeks and this morning I felt awful. I took some Sudafed-the real stuff you have to show your licens for- and feel much better.

Meemur, house or condo?

Yay DH is making noise about going up to the shop to do stuff, he hasn't been up since winter. Hopefully we can get some Cub parts going on ebay.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:

I"m sure you're better organized than he is. He has stuff (tools, paint cans, lumber) everywhere. I get the hives just looking at it all and could never work that way. I have to have my tools laid out like a surgeon's. He claims he knows just where to find everything but as I said earlier, I've gone out and bought hardware that we already hadóburied under something else. He does good work and I don't know how, with that kind of disorganization.

Let it be witnessed here on CD that we will never ever ever again renovate a house in this lifetime.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

Since we are snowbirding, we are doing what I'm calling a slow move. We plan to eventually be in one house. I went through our Christmas things in the attic to take to FL and left behind a lot the first trip down. This summer we brought down the rest left behind in the attic, along with other holiday decorations. Going through things a second time made it easier to toss or donate things with some sentimentality attached. I don't want to take clutter with me and have many things I couldn't seem to let go of that were given by friends or family. A second look made it easier to let it go.
Nothing gave me greater pleasure than to get rid of ALL our Christmas decorations except for a table centerpiece. What a lot of stuff taking up space. And when it "comes down" after the holidays it has to be packed away, depressing. Now that we have grandkids, we'll do up a display with lights indoors and fresh-smelling pine boughs. No more trees and boxes and boxes of stuff!

Old 08-23-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I understand his reluctance. It's tough for some of us to part with what looks a coffee can full of worthless items that can be easily replaced, but coming from a background of finding and straightening bent nails to reuse out of necessity does that to a person.
I bet his collection of cans and cans of old nails beats the collection you had.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:25 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,306,152 times
Amen negirl! Witness me back, I am not doing this again and the sucker never got finished anyway. I don't give a flock.

DH is the same way but he actually does know where everything is...

Old 08-23-2014, 04:35 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,022,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Meemur, house or condo?
Small house. I like condos but hate HOAs to no end. (I'm into ham radio - I don't have a skyhook on my roof, but I put up a 9' tripod antenna in my backyard sometimes. It's not permanent. HOAs and hams are generally at odds.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement