U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:18 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,669,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Nothing gave me greater pleasure than to get rid of ALL our Christmas decorations except for a table centerpiece. What a lot of stuff taking up space. And when it "comes down" after the holidays it has to be packed away, depressing. Now that we have grandkids, we'll do up a display with lights indoors and fresh-smelling pine boughs. No more trees and boxes and boxes of stuff!
Maybe one day, for now we have a tree and two boxes. It takes up a corner of a walk on closet. Actually the electric train that runs around the tree takes up most of the space.

We evolved to this from cutting a fresh tree in the mountains, making popcorn/cranberry strings and baking gingerbread men to hang on the tree. Now it's simple in comparison. The dog did like the gingerbread men, most of them were just heads on the lower part of the tree as the season wound down.

I cleared out my spinning, knitting and weaving room this summer, selling on a knitting social website, using PayPal for payment and shipping. Retail therapy was my stress relief when I worked. That and a delusional idea of what I could accomplish. It was work and organization but I had $2,600 in my Paypal account when I finished. I have more to sell next year, but the things left are ones I'm reluctant to sell. They are rare or unusual things I could probably not easily find again and certainly wouldn't pay the price if I did. I've thought about selling them, so next time will be easier to let them go.

Every time I mailed out a package I got dual pleasure from it: lightening my load and annoying a miserable PO employee who really should retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 06:21 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
So true!

I spent from Jan - May last year getting rid of stuff and then moved to Des Moines in August with two relocubes and what fit in my car.

I'm so glad it's now and I'm not going through that, but it was really worth it not to have to deal with all that stuff in the new house.

Tek, I'm only 10 years younger that you.
And we just moved away from DSM.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I bet his collection of cans and cans of old nails beats the collection you had.
I'd say yes. I had been doing some tossing off and on for years.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:09 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,020,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And we just moved away from DSM.
You'll be warmer this winter!

And my income is increasing, so we're both happy.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:15 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
WTG jeanji! Keep the precious things that are hard to find. IMO. I love shipping, that great feeling of making money and getting lighteer at the same time.

Hamming is waay cool Meemur, I found a sixties radio at a garage sale and it sold well on ebay.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:06 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,515,954 times
Here's a great site to read if you need inspiration.

zenhabits
The mind is a wonderful thing. Itís also a complete liar that constantly tries to convince us not to take actions we know are good for us, and stops many great changes in our lives.

Here's some other links to that site:
About : zenhabits
Zen Habits is about finding simplicity in the daily chaos of our lives. Itís about clearing the clutter so we can focus on whatís important, create something amazing, find happiness.

Start Here : zenhabits

Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM

LOL HT, do we ever get to zen loving our house? Ours has always been an agree to disagree kind of thing....

Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL HT, do we ever get to zen loving our house? Ours has always been an agree to disagree kind of thing....
I Zen and the house~~~zigs.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:42 AM

That is a zignificant difference in outlook.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:47 AM

LOL guys.

Getting rid of stuff is major zen. What a huge difference a year makes after having become the acquisition queen and kings. Having DH on board is big zen.

Zen rocks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement