U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 04:22 PM

720 posts, read 1,485,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I know quite a few boomers who would love to retire and vacate their family homes but they can't ... because their adult children moved back in. Sometimes bringing THEIR children. One of my relatives has more people living in his house now than he did when his kids were small.
Have been living this situation for years! Going to move,DS will have to come with us or find another place to live.(he's 30)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:01 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,016,359 times
It's a form of wealth, is it not? Stuff.

Like the Japanese girls said: if we don't use it within eight months, we sell it, donate it,
or it goes into the alley, neatly packaged and clean, for recycling.

Photos? Keep. Really good hand tools? Keep those. In/out of a hobby? Keep that.
Poncho, saddle bag, and cigar? Keep those. And the mule.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 PM

30,041 posts, read 16,613,591 times
I'm fully on board with downsizing. Mainly because I'm sick of working on the landscaping and the yard.

But, my kid keeps coming home for the summers and for those pesky holidays. AND the Westie he picked out years ago is a barker, digger, and has never NOT had a fenced yard. My little yorkie is suited fine for condo/apartment living.

So my dream of a cute little Condo must wait a couple more years.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:56 PM

2,651 posts, read 2,195,067 times
I don't want a huge house, but I do want more land! I don't want to hear my neighbors' conversations, or the trash bins being rolled out onto the street, or them dumping their glass items into their recycling bins. at whatever hours.

If you don't particularly get long with your neighbors that stuff can be irksome.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,171,794 times
If you're a senior who lives alone because of divorce or being widowed, you should move to a small condo in an elevator building. That way, if you become senile, and your relatives want to put you in a nursing home, you will have an excuse to stay where you are. They can't claim you're too crippled to ride the elevator, nor that you will fall down the stairs.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:27 AM

16,884 posts, read 13,037,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If you're a senior who lives alone because of divorce or being widowed, you should move to a small condo in an elevator building. That way, if you become senile, and your relatives want to put you in a nursing home, you will have an excuse to stay where you are. They can't claim you're too crippled to ride the elevator, nor that you will fall down the stairs.

nah, I would rather live on my ranch than live in some retirement home. living in one of those places just strikes me as someplace that people go to die.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
And the glut of HHA jobs in the next decade will make it even easier to have assistance.

I'm also looking forward to being less than 45 minutes (in summer) to everything.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 AM

23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
It's a form of wealth, is it not? Stuff.

Like the Japanese girls said: if we don't use it within eight months, we sell it, donate it,
or it goes into the alley, neatly packaged and clean, for recycling.

Photos? Keep. Really good hand tools? Keep those. In/out of a hobby? Keep that.
Poncho, saddle bag, and cigar? Keep those. And the mule.
But a lot of the things we possess are often things that have piled up over the years. Most people are good at bringing stuff into the home, but it's difficult to part with.

Like I mentioned, my grandmother has an attic full of "stuff" and a basement full of things that were used when my grandfather was healthy, but that was more than a decade ago. There are lots of canning supplies down there that are no longer used, nor will they ever be used again. These things need to go, or at a minimum, sorted through and donated.

A lot of folks believe their "stuff" has value, when objectively it has minimal value. I was obsessed with Beanie Babies as a kid. My parents bought me Beanies...and more Beanies. I have several hundred of these things now. It would cost me more to ship them than the whole lot would be worth, and I doubt I'd get $200 on craigslist for them all. They are bulky and difficult to store, and filled up my entire trunk. I want to keep at least some of them, but I'm faced with either donating the rest, throwing them away (don't want to do that), or trying to get whatever I can get out of them. It's much the same thing with my hundreds of books, many of which are older, no longer relevant, and have no value. It would be hard to get rid of a bunch of political commentary books from the Bush presidency at a used book store.

Point being I think most couples could fit what they NEED in a 2BR condo (aside from tools, lawn equipment, outdoor furniture, or anything very bulky), and more stuff than that is probably not being regularly used.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 AM

10,522 posts, read 8,765,146 times
I need about 70M^3 to feel comfortable, about the same amount of space that my wife needs for her clothes.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:18 AM

487 posts, read 587,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
We've been trying to downsize, but it is really difficult to find a 1700 sq ft home or a home with at least 1/2 acre of land.
Haha! That's exactly what I'm about to put on the market! It's an 1800 sq. ft. home on a half acre. C'mon to Oswego IL! We're building in AZ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement