U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,016,393 times

Advertisements

Screw the upkeep. I just moved from 7 acres in the country. In the Springtime, I'd start mowing and trimming while working a fulltime job. By the time I finished three to four days later, I'd have to start again. Digging out the gate in the howling wind and snow at 5:30 am. Not to mention heating and cooling costs.

No, I'm ready to move into maintenance-provided, smaller space. As you get older and retire and have more-or-less fixed income, you need to reduce your fixed costs (and non-fixed costs, but that's another issue). I want lower heating and cooling costs, no exterior maintenance, and the ability to leave for a week on very short notice.

But, that's just me: your mileage may vary. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 10:44 AM

730 posts, read 1,026,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
We will be going to 2400 sft from 1200 and five acres from ten.
I want closets.
A kitchen (ours is 8x10-no lie) with cabinets and storage so I will use my entire cookware set, not just the ones within reach; enough counter space where I don't have to roll out pie crusts on the dining room table.
And guest bedrooms, we thought having one bedroom would be a guest deterrent? Hell no.

And two bathrooms (ever have to hold it for your turn? That could get ugly in old age).

No attic. No storing seasonal things in the attic. No good china in attic.

'I want my things about me. There's a hundred years of happy dreaming in those things.'

~Maureen O'Hara in The Quiet Man
Amen, sister!!! :-) (tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me do so again so soon, lol)

In my life I've lived in houses/yards of all sizes: 700 st on 1/4 acre (both too small, hated 'em); 3400 st on 1/3 acre (both good); 8000sf on 3 acres (both too much!!); 800 sf on 1/8 acre (hated both sizes); 5000 sf on 1/2 acre (adored both but the taxes pushed me out); and now 1300 sf on 1/2 acre (love the property but have discovered that the house makes me feel claustrophobic and I can't afford to enlarge it). For me, between 2000 and 2400 sf would be ideal and I refuse to consider anything less than 2000 sf for the next (and absolutely last!!) house.

I've already had to get rid of many many things that I would have loved to keep, and you know what? There is NO WAY in Hades that I am giving up the rest.

LOL to the one-bedroom guest deterrent, that's what I did in my current house and actually it has worked. ;-) Three bedrooms: one mine, one turned into a closet, and one for computer and bookshelves.

Last edited by Never2L8; 06-17-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM

Default about "stuff"

I think there's a big difference between these three kinds of "stuff" when it comes to downsizing:

(a) Utilitarian or decorative stuff that you haven't either used or taken out of the box in years, but have kept because you "might need it someday"

(b) Stuff that loved ones have given you and you'd feel somehow disloyal if you got rid of it

(c) Stuff that you live with every day (certain pieces of furniture, artwork, decorative objects) that give you pleasure or bring a feeling of comfort or appreciation when you look at them.

IMHO, category A stuff can go. Category B stuff needs to be really looked at with a critical eye and an examination of your true feelings about the object rather than the person. Stuff in category C is what I would fight tooth and nail to keep, and am not ashamed of doing so.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:01 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,294,298 times
Amen, aj; after this winter I have had it with the shoveling, watching DH in agony in the plow truck. .
The worrying about the animals, only God knows how they survived.

The endless expense of heating oil, sand and salt.

The angst of walking and fearing falling, and the animals falling. And no one to hear you screaming when you do.

I love what we had here, but like so many as we get on in years, it is becoming painfully obvious that what was paradise is now an accident waiting to happen as we get older.

Stressed, Amen to you, too, babe!

Don't get me wrong, we've had great times in our cottage that I would not trade for the world, but things happen.

At least we are fortunate enough to have a plan B. Otherwise it would be ramps all over and a stairlift. And a Rebath. Getiing a shower takes him an hour, getting into that jetted tub is a killer. We've used the thing maybe five times.

Wow three bedrooms. We have one. ONE. It really is a cottage. And one bathroom. Two levels built into the side of a hill. Living room and laundry/basement on first level, kit.dining/bath/bed second level, then attic above.

Our Florida place is 3 baths on 4.8 acres on ONE level. God/dess, I trust you to take us there. Amen.

Nope, it was great, but I'm done.

Last edited by CCc girl; 06-17-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,964,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Screw the upkeep. I just moved from 7 acres in the country. In the Springtime, I'd start mowing and trimming while working a fulltime job. By the time I finished three to four days later, I'd have to start again. Digging out the gate in the howling wind and snow at 5:30 am. Not to mention heating and cooling costs.

No, I'm ready to move into maintenance-provided, smaller space. As you get older and retire and have more-or-less fixed income, you need to reduce your fixed costs (and non-fixed costs, but that's another issue). I want lower heating and cooling costs, no exterior maintenance, and the ability to leave for a week on very short notice.

But, that's just me: your mileage may vary. . .
I'm at where you're at, but the old man is reluctant. What we could do even five years ago, even three, in terms of shoveling out and yard work compared to now is an eye-opener. And for what? Why maintain so much property, especially rural for what purpose? If one is seriously homesteading, I can understand that. But my aging friends with the big houses and acreage don't even garden! They're on their ride-on mowers all summer and leaf-blowing all fall. Just to have a property.

Where are you now? Florida?

Old 06-17-2014, 11:09 AM

LOL Stressed, we posted at the same time

(a) Utilitarian or decorative stuff that you haven't either used or taken out of the box in years, but have kept because you "might need it someday".

Yeah, well, those days are gone. Need is subjective. Yeah, I need a backup coffeepot, I don't need a china service for forty.

(b) Stuff that loved ones have given you and you'd feel somehow disloyal if you got rid of it.

At first that is tough, but they would not want you to feel burdened, only to remember their love.
If that means selling Grandpa's Bristol perfumes from the turn of the century for twenty bucks, so be it. I could not find a value on them so to the fates on ebay they went.

(c) Stuff that you live with every day (certain pieces of furniture, artwork, decorative objects) that give you pleasure or bring a feeling of comfort or appreciation when you look at them.

Again, subjective. I love all of my stuff but I also know that the FL place will not be the same style as here, so only the select pieces will move.
Yeah, honey, that pipe stand was one of the first pieces we bought together, I know. Will it diminish the great love we've had for 31 years. No. Will it be less hassle to sell or donate than to move it? Heck yeah.

I like your analogy at the end, Stressed.

Bonus-once you really start digging the unit and tossing/donating/selling, it gets waay easier to let go. Freeing in a sense.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:16 AM

CCcgirl,

Are you going through another winter in upstate NY? (If so, my heart goes out to you.) Is your house on the market?

Order for the day: By Friday, get rid of 300 lb of stuff, whatever it may be!

Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I think there's a big difference between these three kinds of "stuff" when it comes to downsizing:

(a) Utilitarian or decorative stuff that you haven't either used or taken out of the box in years, but have kept because you "might need it someday"

(b) Stuff that loved ones have given you and you'd feel somehow disloyal if you got rid of it

IMHO, category A stuff can go. Category B stuff needs to be really looked at with a critical eye and an examination of your true feelings about the object rather than the person. Stuff in category C is what I would fight tooth and nail to keep, and am not ashamed of doing so.
In terms of a move OR a downsize, it's Category C that I think many of us have to address. A and B is all lightweight stuff.

There is simply no piece of furniture, in my life, that has me imagining 2 to 4 strong adults to carry it. For me, there is no sentiment attached to Mom's or Aunt Martha's two-ton wardrobe or hutch.

Of course, if one has the means to hire a door-to-door mover, there's much less concern if any. But there is also the factor of "letting go" of things at aging stages that prepares us for the next step of giving up what we have, in my view a liberation. I've had a half-dozen dear people in my life die surrounded by stuff. Maybe it made them feel more secure at the end, but not for me. As Robynn would say, YMMV.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Yep, negirl, one more. House will go on market after we leave, I'm so not dealing with that.

I got rid of about 75 lbs. this week so far. Honestly, we have moved mountains since we started last fall.

Dh is wallowing in moonshine; er, grief this week so no doing much (we lost a cat and he takes them really badly). He was up half the night, thankfully in bed now.

I'm recovering from an allergic reaction to Bactrim; last night I woke at midnight and was itchy all over for an hour. The attacks get lesser but still awful when you wake up and just want to claw your skin off. Lanacane, Benadryl gel and Hydrocortisone harldy touch it.

I hear you on the yard work, it's all I can do to keep up with the mowing much less weed or garden. Those days are gone. I still work and now take care of the horses full time since we got iced in in January and he hasn't been out of the house 'cept for a few times since then. I keep praying to get my old babe back. God willing.....<3

Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Yeah, I need a backup coffeepot, I don't need a china service for forty.
LOL boy did that strike a chord! :-) During my 30s and 40s I was a real "china junkie"... I kid you not, I had six different sets of service-for-10 (because that's what the dining room table sat). One set we bought in England and had it shipped over. Talk about insanity. I downsized to a service for 4 of one set. The only reason I kept that is because I have a son, a DIL and will have one grandchild eventually. 3 + me = 4. My son took three of the full sets AND the dining room furniture, LOL.

Funny thing about the items I have kept, and will hang onto kicking and screaming: All of them are things that I bought for myself, after the split with my son's dad. All things that I bought purely because I loved them and thought they were beautiful, or somehow "spoke" to me (and they still are, and do). Maybe that's why they are so important to me: These particular objects feel like a piece of myself.

ETA: OMG, I had the same reaction to Bactrim! That stuff is NASTY. And here I thought it was just another of my body's utter weirdnesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement