U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,596,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
If I had a time machine I would go back in time and smack myself in the head every time I bought a collectible or started a new hobby. I'd tell myself to put it back on the shelf and get out of the store.

Ditto for every videotape and DVD I had to have "for the collection".

We're looking to clean out the basement and the closets and we have a slight difference of opinion. My wife thinks a yard sale is the way to go. I'm more of a Goodwill and dumpster guy. How do you accumulate so much . . . stuff?
BINGO! What was I thinking back in the '80's to collect Bradford Exchane Rockwell plates? At least DH coin and stamps are smaller. We've just cleaned out and supposedly downsized although I am looking at boxes and boxes that I have to figure where to go with stuff. This is after a LOT of clearing out. As for how, DH would have done the dumpster route. Instead I did Freecycle and Craigslist, then this spring discovered my neighborhood had a Facebook page so I could get rid of stuff locally to neighbors. The local Thrift shop made out well, as did Restore. Goodwill only came in at the end for two sleeper sofas and a mattress set that we had to pay to move out. Check Goodwill's policies, they aren't as easy about picking up as you may think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:38 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,297,923 times
LOL, went up into the attic yesterday and culled two boxes of the milk glass I collect and my dads collection of antique ice cream scoops he gave me. Fifteen years ago, like all collectibles, they were worth double or triple what I will get now.

I put them up on ebay, taking the money and running.

OMG, I can actually see some of the floor in the attic now, holy moly!!!!!!!!!!

Ditched those VHS and cassette tapes years ago at my aunt's garage sales, thankfully. LMAO she still has three VHS players that she uses regularly.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL, went up into the attic yesterday and culled two boxes of the milk glass I collect and my dads collection of antique ice cream scoops he gave me. Fifteen years ago, like all collectibles, they were worth double or triple what I will get now.

I put them up on ebay, taking the money and running.

OMG, I can actually see some of the floor in the attic now, holy moly!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. We have a huge pile of boxes by our desk in our new place that we are referring to as our eBay pile. With a little luck, that is our next vocation hopefully starting sooner than later. I also want to see the floor again.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
If I had a time machine I would go back in time and smack myself in the head every time I bought a collectible or started a new hobby. I'd tell myself to put it back on the shelf and get out of the store.

Ditto for every videotape and DVD I had to have "for the collection".

We're looking to clean out the basement and the closets and we have a slight difference of opinion. My wife thinks a yard sale is the way to go. I'm more of a Goodwill and dumpster guy. How do you accumulate so much . . . stuff?
Every time I look at my art supplies I think of chucking them, in the spirit of downsizing and reality of nonuse. Then I look at the framed landscapes on my walls and list of individuals and one museum who/that have my work in their private collections and I wince. Why am I not doing this now? And if I'm not going to do this again, what in heaven's name am I saving these expensive supplies for? Oh! New reason. The grandkids. Today they used my expensive paper and paints for their very first paintings and I found myself happy to have saved this stuff. But the first question still haunts.

What I've decided is if I'm going to hold onto things I "may" someday use again, I'm going to get rid of a generally equal weight of something else. This month is was those unused holiday decorations. No one appreciates them anyway and I'd rather get rid of those than anything with much more potential.

We are down (from a large attic and basement full) to one large storage closet, upstairs. These things are the absolute essentials to existence, lol. When I open the door and see the stuff in there I cringe. All this stuff is essential, really? So this gets moved with the rest of the active ingredients in this house when we move? Just can't win.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:22 PM

OMG negirl is the Michelangelo incarnate, who knew??????? Absolutely ditch the Xmas stuff and hold onto your art supplies, you could be the next Grandma Moses!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Choff and everyone, if you are ebaying let us know what you're selling, maybe we want it?????????? Just a generic description to start, no seller ID's.......

Olay, here goes, I have some vintage ice cream scoops and a ton of Fenton milk glass to get rid of, so lemme know............

Old 07-14-2014, 06:38 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Every time I look at my art supplies I think of chucking them, in the spirit of downsizing and reality of nonuse. Then I look at the framed landscapes on my walls and list of individuals and one museum who/that have my work in their private collections and I wince. Why am I not doing this now? And if I'm not going to do this again, what in heaven's name am I saving these expensive supplies for? Oh! New reason. The grandkids. Today they used my expensive paper and paints for their very first paintings and I found myself happy to have saved this stuff. But the first question still haunts.

What I've decided is if I'm going to hold onto things I "may" someday use again, I'm going to get rid of a generally equal weight of something else. This month is was those unused holiday decorations. No one appreciates them anyway and I'd rather get rid of those than anything with much more potential.

We are down (from a large attic and basement full) to one large storage closet, upstairs. These things are the absolute essentials to existence, lol. When I open the door and see the stuff in there I cringe. All this stuff is essential, really? So this gets moved with the rest of the active ingredients in this house when we move? Just can't win.
I lol'd when I read that..all those "essential" items packed into a storage closet

Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 PM

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.......

Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG negirl is the Michelangelo incarnate, who knew??????? Absolutely ditch the Xmas stuff and hold onto your art supplies, you could be the next Grandma Moses!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Choff and everyone, if you are ebaying let us know what you're selling, maybe we want it?????????? Just a generic description to start, no seller ID's.......

Olay, here goes, I have some vintage ice cream scoops and a ton of Fenton milk glass to get rid of, so lemme know............
CCcgirl, Oh my, let's not trade Fenton milk glass for depression glass or Fostoria. I'll try to keep that in mind but have a feeling it's going to be mid August at earliest before we make it to that pile. I know DH has boxes of unopened matchbox cars, Boy Scout mugs, who knows what else. I have 1950/60's party snack tray sets, posters, and heaven only knows what else is in "that" pile.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 PM

4,881 posts, read 4,849,288 times
[quote=newenglandgirl;35649826]Every time I look at my art supplies I think of chucking them, in the spirit of downsizing and reality of nonuse. Then I look at the framed landscapes on my walls and list of individuals and one museum who/that have my work in their private collections and I wince. Why am I not doing this now? /QUOTE]

I have so many art supplies as well. Then there are 2 archival boxes of 35mm slides. Anyone interested
in buying them? haha
We sold our 1700 sq ft home as well as 80% of the contents. We moved to an apartment and plan to
move again next year. I do have several pieces of my artwork as well as other artists as well. Can't
part with those or some of my books. That will be a problem when we move again. I have to say
it is so much easier with less stuff. We don't know exactly where we will go (have a few places
in mind) but we'll rent again to get to know the area. I understand that some people do want a large
home but I would love to find a small place (bungalow, cottage even a shot gun type of place) but
I've found that small homes in the places we are interested in usually are not in the best shape or
neighborhoods. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 07-15-2014 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 07-15-2014, 02:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
You and I are looking for the same thing, a bungalow with just enough yard for a cabbage patch. The downsizing battle is back peddling for us at the moment.

For ex...we have all these art books from college days that we never look at, and now "he and I" are having a battle over who "has more" than the other and who should ditch more. He actually one day COUNTED my books and declared he has less!

Plus we have copies of printed books we've designed for clients. I told him we should save ONE of each, not 10. He swore he only had one of each and then I went into the garage to clean out a large storage cabinet and at the bottom, cleverly covered by a tarp, was a big tub of a half-dozen each of the books he designed. I was so hopping mad after him making me get down to one each. So this stash I found is now in a big bag in my car ready to go where? I'm sure the library doesn't want six copies of Environmental Concerns in the 21st Century or whatever that title was. LOL.

posted by Baily:
I have so many art supplies as well. Then there are 2 archival boxes of 35mm slides. Anyone interested
in buying them? haha
We sold our 1700 sq ft home as well as 80% of the contents. We moved to an apartment and plan to
move again next year. I do have several pieces of my artwork as well as other artists as well. Can't
part with those or some of my books. That will be a problem when we move again. I have to say
it is so much easier with less stuff. We don't know exactly where we will go (have a few places
in mind) but we'll rent again to get to know the area. I understand that some people do want a large
home but I would love to find a small place (bungalow, cottage even a shot gun type of place) but
I've found that small homes in the places we are interested in usually are not in the best shape or
neighborhoods. Maybe we'll get lucky.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement