Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 02:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Yes, inquiring minds want to know.......
Essential: a zippered clothing storage closet on wheels with all our winter coats/jackets, six of his and six of mine. We had a little scrap over that too. Labeled boxes of off-season clothing (I do have more than he has). Our various safes. Four basket trunks of extra linens, quilts, towels. A few other basket trunks of extra bathroom stuff, small throw rugs, grandkid stuff etc. Two backpacks and four lightweight pieces of luggage. Canvas totes with our final "outfits" and things to display at my memorial service (he wants nothing along these lines). I could go on, but that type of thing. That closet alone is enough for me. Then there's the rest of the house. I guess you've guessed I'm a minimalist who unfortunately also likes to be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 04:27 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Oh, those essentials......at least it's not a pallet of bottled water and a year's worth of MRE's LOLOL

Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Oh, those essentials......at least it's not a pallet of bottled water and a year's worth of MRE's LOLOL
Oh that's all stored in the downstairs closet, along with the emergency equipment that's ready to go.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:40 AM

I <3 U negirl

I gave up the preps and scaled down to bare minimum in anticipation of moving. I do, however, have ten six packs of Diet Dew stashed, they were on sale and the store runs out of diet sometimes.

Cooler and less humid so might go hunting in the attic for more to get rid of. If anyone is interested in the Proctor Turn A Matic vintage toaster please let me know LMFAO (yes, it's sitting on the dining table, awaiting photos for ebay)

Old 07-16-2014, 10:31 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I personally prefer to hear sheep bleating and grazing. I have a distant neighbor that mows every time the grass grows 1/2" (That is a few times / day in the drizzle of the PNW.)

She makes me go postal, cuz she mows each time I desire to take a nap! (And I take lots of naps!). Nothing irritates me quite as much as the noise of a useless lawnmower (except really useless leaf blowers )

I'm thinking that a smaller collectible (Stamps?) than cars and tractors might help me to downsize.

or... I could buy one of many empty Dairy Farms with thousands of square footage under cover. I have a friend that did that to house his WWII collectibles (Armored Tanks and Trucks including many Weasels).

I have a Master Plan to mount my various shops into insulated Shipping Containers. Then I can just 'hook-lift' which ever shop I need onto the Truck and one onto the pup, and 'hit-the-road'
http://img.ecplaza.com/my/eos/44.jpg

I have a friend who built the most interesting "compound". He has a very large warehouse and in it are parked maybe 5 trailors: big ones like 18 wheeler types. Each one is a different shop. He has a machine shop, a carpenter shop, etc. One is also a gym ! The machinary in each one is amazing. I was always afraid to ask where he got all that stuff.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 AM

I believe you mean shipping containers, they are the same size as the trailer on a big rig but sturdy as hell, some can withstand gunshots without perforation.

I also believe Mr. Stealth has the same type of setup.

*Sigh* toys are great until you have to move.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
When my dad retired about three years ago they downsized from a 5600 sq ft home to 4200 sq ft. I don't know how they survived.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I
Cooler and less humid so might go hunting in the attic for more to get rid of. If anyone is interested in the Proctor Turn A Matic vintage toaster please let me know LMFAO (yes, it's sitting on the dining table, awaiting photos for ebay)
I'll trade it for a 1947 Hoover upright. What's your address?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
When my dad retired about three years ago they downsized from a 5600 sq ft home to 4200 sq ft. I don't know how they survived.
I would hardly call that a downsize. They thought it was? LOL

Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
I love to spin and knit and have acquired wheels, spindles, yarn and fiber over the years. Nothing like retail therapy to ease the stress of working and having the money to indulge. I took an honest look at what I have and have been selling it through an online group this past week. I'm keeping an antique wheel and contemporary one, the spindles I use the most and some fibers, but that still left a lot to sell.

The fibers are more colors and breeds suitable to the Northeast; wooly wools and darker colors. I'm using lighter colors and wool/silk blends now that I live in perpetual warm weather. I had three sweater amounts of wool to spin, but I haven't worn a sweater in two years, so I sold them.

The wheels and spindles kept their value and more, the fiber I lost money on. It's been a great week, all of this has gone on to people who want it and I have an amazing PayPal balance now. It mainly took a lot of organization and staying on top of things to get it done.

I feel lighter. Now to tackle that Christmas stuff in the attic and not be too sentimental.

Last edited by jean_ji; 07-16-2014 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement