U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 AM

720 posts, read 1,485,115 times

Advertisements

Sorry I tried to edit that, it was 4 DAYS, should've reviewed it before I posted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,299,445 times
my adopted Mom had hers done, hospital 4-5 days, a few weeks of PT and she's getting the other one done soon. She loves not being afraid of the stairs any more. 75 yo. overweight hypochondriac.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:21 AM

2,430 posts, read 1,666,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My sibling is a top-notch PT and I would urge people to weigh any "results" they hear about with a grain of salt relative to the persons overall health, WEIGHT etc.

Best of luck with all procedures.
A newly minted rheumatologist came to view x-rays on his patients with one of our radiologists. Totally exasperated after looking at the x-rays, he rhetorically asked "Is my entire practice going to be overweight, middle-aged women who don't know why their knees are bad?" With the increase in obesity over the years, I think he was seeing his future back then.

One of my friends had her knee replaced in January and had to have a second surgery to remove excess scar material that occurred as a response to the surgery, even after being compliant with all the post op exercises and PT. She was disappointed to have the second surgery since it set her recovery back, but she is happy with the surgery results now.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-16-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,446,805 times
The orthopedic surgeon I saw last week for information told me that the full knee replacements now last 25 years.
At least the product he uses lasts that long. The knees which lasted just 10 or 15 years are now surpassed according to him. He uses an insert made of metal and plastic. (haven't researched yet if all knee inserts have always been metal and plastic)

Mathguy, what do you mean exactly? Are you saying the overweight heavy-set people or people in an overall less than optimal general health (people with health problems) have a more difficult time with the surgery and looooonnnng rehab?

Old 06-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Ccc girl, just a few weeks of physical therapy and lots of exercises at physical therapy 3 times per week plus tons of exercises at home?

Just a few weeks sounds quite a bit more abbreviated than the orthopedic surgeon explained to me. He said more like two or three months of tons of doing exercises at home plus seeing a physical therapist 3 times per week for a month or 6 weeks.

Did your Mom have an especially easy time with everything?

Old 06-16-2014, 12:00 PM

8,763 posts, read 10,837,755 times
My wife had her full knee replaced about 15+ years ago. At the time, she had 1 or 2 doctors saying that she should wait, since the replacement knees weren't expected to last forever. I told her that she needed to get a new doctor who didn't expect her to walk in pain for another 10-years.

My FIL waited until he was older (both knees) and I remember him repeatedly saying, "I only wish that I had done this earlier and enjoyed the benefits of pain-free living and walking for longer."

Old 06-16-2014, 12:06 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The orthopedic surgeon I saw last week for information told me that the full knee replacements now last 25 years.
At least the product he uses lasts that long. The knees which lasted just 10 or 15 years are now surpassed according to him. He uses an insert made of metal and plastic. (haven't researched yet if all knee inserts have always been metal and plastic)

Mathguy, what do you mean exactly? Are you saying the overweight heavy-set people or people in an overall less than optimal general health (people with health problems) have a more difficult time with the surgery and looooonnnng rehab?
20-25 years was what ones I talked where advised with normal usage. Those who recovered fastest and least noticeable all opted for full rehab than those who took longer home rehab .They basically work you had full rehab and can manage pain better there at first. Their doctors said the first days are important in rehab. How long they last is much like anything an average and weight even is a factor in normal joints that are weight bearing like hip and knee.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:09 PM

Texdav, sorry for all the questions - but do you mean they lived at a rehab facility full-time for a while?

And then when returning home, they went full 8-hour days to visits with a physical therapist at a physical therapy facility?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:56 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,855,355 times
Everyone older than I in my family has had either one or both knees done. That's 4 people.

Here I sit - 10 years post-medial meniscus repair - having just re-injured it on the elliptical trainer last week.

I am trying my damndest to avoid it. I don't care if they only last 25 years...

My mother had one of hers done in her 80's - and her quack of a doc forgot to re-adjust her coumadin (blood thinner) post-op. She then had a stroke for which she needed assisted living and eventually nursing home care.

She is completely non-ambulatory now.... not because of the stroke. Her knees don't support her well enough - she's not really obese.

I think it should NOT be an automatic surgery. ALL surgery is a risk. If you can do the exercises to beef up your knees and legs - go for it.

If it's bone on bone - you really have no choice.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:27 PM

21,538 posts, read 43,992,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
ALL surgery is a risk. If you can do the exercises to beef up your knees and legs - go for it. If it's bone on bone - you really have no choice.
Osteo-BiFlex (tried all manner of glucosamine over the years - OB is the best) - begun in your late 40s/early 50s and taken regularly thereafter can be very effective in preventing the bone-on-bone - assuming one isn't too far gone. My joints are fine - because I've been on Osteo-BiFlex since my early 50s when knees began to crackle. If I get lazy about OB, after a month or so I notice it first in my knees. Surgery is, indeed, a risk. Chronic staph infection being one - which if it lodges on the appliance - may go to the heart. I've known several people with this complication, one wheelchair bound rest of her life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or