U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:41 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times

Advertisements

Oh my lord! I'm glad to get the comments from mlb and Ariadne22 - much appreciated!

My knee is bone on bone. I'm very reluctant to have the surgery. Haven't set it up.

I appreciate any and ALL comments, tidbits, knowledge, experience, points of view, personal knee replacement problem stories etc.

Ariadne22, I'm glad glucosamine chondroitin worked for you, but a very recent study or two which came out in the past month or so found that it is useless for most people and has no positive effect or outcome. I tried taking it over the years and found no positive effect. Of course, contrary studies could emerge. Have you tried MSM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 03:59 PM

18,832 posts, read 4,943,655 times
Had my left knee replaced at 65....beforehand tried shots and a "cleaning out" of the area,
neither worked, my knee was hard to straighten and finally I was in pain all the time...yes,
I would recommend it it, only based on my own experience though.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:02 PM

21,539 posts, read 44,010,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
My knee is bone on bone. I'm very reluctant to have the surgery. Haven't set it up.
As I said above, if your knee is bone on bone, it's too late for supplements. 78 y/o relative had r-knee replacement - took a while for him to get back up to speed, but he's doing all right now. The younger you are, the better. He was pretty old.

Quote:
Ariadne22, I'm glad glucosamine chondroitin worked for you, but a very recent study or two which came out in the past month or so found that it is useless for most people and has no positive effect or outcome.
Therein - bolded text - lies the problem. OB is NOT just gc. I don't - and never have - made any decision solely on the basis of so-called studies because there are always too many variables - and too many varying opinions. Many of these "studies" - in my experience - are flat-out wrong.

Everything depends on the formulation. And, every person is different.

As I said above, I've tried many combinations. For me, the best is Osteo Bi-Flex.

Been using the stuff for over 20 years. Knees stopped crackling as soon as started the stuff. Friend of mine (73) still does a lot of heavy work, started the stuff about six months ago, said she noticed the difference within a couple of weeks.

I do not - and have not had - arthritis of any kind.

Quote:
Have you tried MSM?
Yes - Osteo Bi-Flex main ingredients (2 capsules):

Glucosamine HCL - 1,500 mg.
ChondroitinMSM Complex - 1,286 mg
5-LOXIN Advanced (Boswellia serrata Extract) - proprietary anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-16-2014 at 06:11 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 08:33 PM

Yes, I am completely aware that it is too late for supplements to have a big enough effect when one has bone on bone.

One does have two knees though. And the two knees are different.

I'm very well- read. You're talking to an educated person here. I am just curious about the range of experiences that people have with knee replacement surgery and those who have chosen not to have it yet or ever.

Your tone is way too condescending.

There is also the placebo effect and I'm sure you're aware of that syndrome.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 PM

282 posts, read 357,998 times
I had TKR on both knees. Second one done a week after the first (my doc doesn't believe in doing them in the same surgery). After the first, spent a couple of days in the hospital, then residential rehab for a few days, which got me to where the first knee could provide me some support. Then back in hospital for surgery, and a couple days' recovery, then back to residential rehab. The latter was supposed to be a week, but wound up being 4 days.

Went home, and had visiting nurse and PT for a couple of weeks. Then outpatient PT 3X week for a month, then 2X week for another four months.

Today, a year later, I walk better than I have in years--2 miles a day to and from work. Running is out, but I can do all other activities (though stairmaster not recommended--surgery or not, my orthopedist thinks they are awful).

I was relatively young when I had it done--60. Very glad I did it.

But this is important: you have to do the PT work, and keep up the activity afterward. If you're not willing to commit to that, don't do the surgery.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the information and details, trying harder! That is helpful!

Old 06-17-2014, 10:43 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,973,025 times
I had a full knee replacement a couple of years ago. Spent about 3 or 4 days in the hospital. They had me on the knee bending machine a lot of the time. When I went home they sent a guy to bring a machine and get me set up.

The home health nurse took over and would come a couple of times a week to check on my vitals, the wound, and my knee movement.

After a couple of weeks, the wound had healed and I didn't need the machine anymore and I could get around good enough to get to the physical therapist. I don't remember how long therapy lasted, maybe couple of months.

All indications were that I needed to have both knees done, so when the doctor asked which one to do first, I just picked the left one for no particular reason. However it was a good choice because after the surgery, the right knee also stopped bothering me and now both knees work like their supposed to and without pain.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 AM

Thanks Fat Freddy! Your information is helpful and the details are very helpful too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or