U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,442,945 times

Advertisements

Retirees who have experienced full knee replacement surgery - I would like to hear your experience and pros and cons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
I plan on waiting on the reviews of the new round over knee. I have no meniscus in one knee so I am due.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:29 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Have several people I know who have had them. first since its a support limb put it off as long as possible because they do wear out. Then have fulltime live in rehab as the quicker and more intensive it seems the better the out come and shorter the recovery.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:34 PM

720 posts, read 1,484,531 times
Both done at once, 5+ years ago. 4 weeks in hospital, 2 weeks in rehab, therapy 3x a day. Home and going up and down stairs. Best thing I ever did. (New Haven, CT orthopedic group.They did both my shoulders also)
No con's that I can think of.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,442,945 times
pooflecamper, I'm confused by your 4 weeks in a hospital. I saw an orthopedics surgeon last week who said all full knee replacement surgery patients stay in a hospital for 3.5 days and then they go home - except those who live alone like myself who then need to go live at a rehab facility for 7 to 10 days after the 3.5 days in the hospital.

And then after the 7 to 10 days living in a rehab facility, one then lives at home but goes out 3 times per week to see a physical therapist.

texdav, what does having fulltime live in rehab entail? Do you mean if one has a large enough house or apt, a physical therapist actually moves in to one's personal home or apt?

Old 06-15-2014, 08:31 PM

526 posts, read 741,191 times
DH just had partial knee replacement, so I've met some people at PT.....one guy a full double-hospital 2 days then home. The same with my friend who recently had one knee done. The only reason my single friend needed someone for a week was to keep meds on track; needed someone to drive her to Pt for a month. The machines that "exercise" your leg are highly recommended to avoid scar tissue build up.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:19 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
DH just had partial knee replacement, so I've met some people at PT.....one guy a full double-hospital 2 days then home. The same with my friend who recently had one knee done. The only reason my single friend needed someone for a week was to keep meds on track; needed someone to drive her to Pt for a month. The machines that "exercise" your leg are highly recommended to avoid scar tissue build up.

A partial knee is what I expect I will need. The process is less problematic if you qualify. I beleive that I do since it is really just my meniscus that is shot. Because it is bone on bone I am no longer doing the impact exercise I used to love to do (running). It is also the newest process so I will wait just a little.

My last doctor's visit on my knee the doctor wanted to schedule me for surgery but since I was only 52 and know that the knee replacement would need to be revisited in a decade or so after.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:41 AM

790 posts, read 1,610,030 times
Haven't had it done, but have several friends, family and co-workers. All of them say it was worth it. Very painful recovery and PT is an absolute must. One co-worker had the partial and then got a full knee replacement. Says she wished she'd had the full -- same pain, same PT and hassle.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 AM

51,883 posts, read 41,765,307 times
My sibling is a top-notch PT and I would urge people to weigh any "results" they hear about with a grain of salt relative to the persons overall health, WEIGHT etc.

Best of luck with all procedures.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 AM

20,084 posts, read 11,142,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Have several people I know who have had them. first since its a support limb put it off as long as possible because they do wear out. Then have fulltime live in rehab as the quicker and more intensive it seems the better the out come and shorter the recovery.
With my FiL and other friends, they've said do it early while age doesn't hinder recovery rather than late. Especially with my FiL, who had it done when he was in his late 70s, his lesser ability to heal was certainly a factor. And those factors can change dramatically in only a few years after one passes his mid 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or