U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 AM

7,979 posts, read 11,655,757 times

Advertisements

I can only related my sister's experience, without too much detail. She had one lens for far and one lens for near and hates it. Which is weird because I think she did that with contacts for awhile.
She has about 20 pairs of reading glasses all over the house, some with one lens poked out. They are different drug store prescriptions (1+, 2+) so which ones she uses is dependent on what she is doing. She is always looking for a different pair. Of course she has a major problem with floaters too which doesn't help. I'm getting there on that as well, but cataracts aren't serious yet.

Personally if or when I get there I think I will go for one of the more simple options. Talking to my eye Dr. when picking out frames he started talking to me about customers and some of the things they are doing that sounded so complex! I have been super nearsighted all my life and now at 59 I have astigmatism too. I read a ton but want to wear cool sunglasses so depending on the technology at the time I think I will opt for fixing my distance vision. The idea of thinner prescription glasses for all the other focal points after wearing coke bottles all my life does not bother me.
If I don't get cataracts and can afford it i might get it done on my own. My prescription is -11. That is just so dependent on something lost or broken and also my lenses are very expensive.

Of course, I bird watch so whatever works best with binoculars will be a major point to consider.

I do hope the OP lets us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:33 PM

6,239 posts, read 4,721,373 times
I have simple fixed IOL implants. Both implants were optimized for distance vision. The eye doc told me I would only need glasses for reading. That is really not the case. For each eye distance vision is substantially improved with additional correction; i.e., eyeglasses. Also I do need glasses for reading. A drugstore 2.00 diopter works well and the eye doc told me that prescription glasses would not be necessary. Unfortunately, as I stated, I still use glasses for distance vision so I have bifocals again. Also I found that using a computer requires special glasses because a computer is viewed at a greater distance than usual reading material. Drugstore 1.25 diopter glasses work best with the computer. So I have regular bifocals, and separate reading and computer glasses. And, of course, bifocal sunglasses. Cataract surgery has come a long way but it is still not perfect. Should I also mention the sunburst artifacts at night due to street lights or car lights?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:06 AM

2,038 posts, read 1,946,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have simple fixed IOL implants. Both implants were optimized for distance vision. The eye doc told me I would only need glasses for reading. That is really not the case. For each eye distance vision is substantially improved with additional correction; i.e., eyeglasses. Also I do need glasses for reading. A drugstore 2.00 diopter works well and the eye doc told me that prescription glasses would not be necessary. Unfortunately, as I stated, I still use glasses for distance vision so I have bifocals again. Also I found that using a computer requires special glasses because a computer is viewed at a greater distance than usual reading material. Drugstore 1.25 diopter glasses work best with the computer. So I have regular bifocals, and separate reading and computer glasses. And, of course, bifocal sunglasses. Cataract surgery has come a long way but it is still not perfect. Should I also mention the sunburst artifacts at night due to street lights or car lights?
This is exactly what I wanted to know, and it seems the answer is that with the simple monofocal IOLs, there is very little of the "natural focusing" ability left. I am very nearsighted but I remember in my teens when my eyes were not so bad, that I could focus clearly at reading distance to the chalkboard distance in class. Even in my middle years with worsening nearsightedness when wearing contacts or glasses I remember being able to focus from book to computer. But it seems from your experience that if I have the simple monofocal IOL optimized for computer distance, it seems I would not be able to "naturally focus" for reading and would need reading glasses for books, and prescription glasses for distance. Or if I have the IOL optimized for book distance, I would need a lower prescription glass for computers and a higher prescription for distance like driving.

So basically the answer to my question looks like I would need two glasses after the monofocal IOL. I know there is the premium multi-focal IOL but having read people's experiences with those, I think I have ruled those out and will just plan on the monofocal IOL, so I will need to decide whether to optimize the monofocal IOL for book or computer, knowing I probably need two glasses in either case.

I had been considering the monovision option of one eye for far and the other eye for near but giesela's post helped me take that out of consideration as the practical aspects of tough to match glasses would be a problem I don't want to have.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:45 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
I use the 3.5 strenght for reading regular print in books. I also carry a pair around for menus and such. But I have a 2.0 pair for things with larger print. For the computer, though, I have a 1.25 with a medium green/brown tint. It HAS to have that tint or the glare makes it hard to see. I safeguard these glasses well, and probably should just go and buy a more expensive pair of sunreaders just to have.

With computer screens, its the glare which gets me and the tint makes a huge difference.

I have multiple pairs of reading glasses scattered about the house, easier to get the pair in that room than have to go find one somewhere else.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:15 PM

6,239 posts, read 4,721,373 times
Just to clarify. With the simple, monofocal IOLs there your eyes have NO ability to make focusing changes. I did not have a choice. Due to previous eye problems I did not qualify for the newer focusing IOLs.

Bifocals are a necessity for me. I do a lot of photography. With distance only glasses, I could need see well enough to adjust the camera settings or to monitor the results. Since I do mainly outdoor photography, I also needed bifocal sunglasses. With bifocals, I really do not need separate reading glasses, but I do like to read without the bifocal line and without the need to look downward. I can also use my bifocals or reading glasses for computer use, but I need to be quite close to the screen. A lower diopter lens allows me to sit back from the computer at a comfortable distance. So I need to keep track of 4 pairs of glasses: bifocal prescription glasses, bifocal prescription sunglasses, 2.00 diopter reading glasses and 1.25 diopter computer glasses. Well, at least I can still see reasonably well out of both eyes. Night vision is often the biggest problem. I can see in the dark but the glare and sunburst from street lights and headlights can be distracting. I was told there is no fix for that problem.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:08 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,441,374 times
I am rather confused and amazed at the experiences of people who have had the cataract surgery and have multiple pairs of glasses, etc. I wonder why my surgery was so incredibly successful? The newer bifocal implants have over an 80% satisfaction rate and the surgery also brought my night vision back to its youthful self. I have no problem quickly focusing from far to near and in between. I do not feel anything in my eyes as others have reported. Perhaps folks have other internal eye issues that cause problems. I never had lasik before the cataract surgery. I wonder if that's an issue. I guess this should be on the health forum but being retired and not being able to see well is a safety issue.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:42 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,537,530 times
Quote:
Just to clarify. With the simple, monofocal IOLs there your eyes have NO ability to make focusing changes. I did not have a choice. Due to previous eye problems I did not qualify for the newer focusing IOLs.

Bifocals are a necessity for me. I do a lot of photography. With distance only glasses, I could need see well enough to adjust the camera settings or to monitor the results. Since I do mainly outdoor photography, I also needed bifocal sunglasses. With bifocals, I really do not need separate reading glasses, but I do like to read without the bifocal line and without the need to look downward. I can also use my bifocals or reading glasses for computer use, but I need to be quite close to the screen. A lower diopter lens allows me to sit back from the computer at a comfortable distance. So I need to keep track of 4 pairs of glasses: bifocal prescription glasses, bifocal prescription sunglasses, 2.00 diopter reading glasses and 1.25 diopter computer glasses. Well, at least I can still see reasonably well out of both eyes. Night vision is often the biggest problem. I can see in the dark but the glare and sunburst from street lights and headlights can be distracting. I was told there is no fix for that problem.
After I had lasik, every light at night was surrounded by a halo. It was especially bad at first. The good thing about needing the new lenses was while there is still a reflection, its much less, as with the lasik it was like a sunburst. I usually did night driving when there were fewer cars and wore light 'sun' glasses. The barely tinted polarized sun glasses helped most.

I had to do eye therapy since I would have double vision, and it hadn't actually occured that now the focus is different. I can still force myself to see the finger as it moves, but the background splits into multiple images. Very wierd.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:06 PM

2,038 posts, read 1,946,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I am rather confused and amazed at the experiences of people who have had the cataract surgery and have multiple pairs of glasses, etc. I wonder why my surgery was so incredibly successful? The newer bifocal implants have over an 80% satisfaction rate and the surgery also brought my night vision back to its youthful self. I have no problem quickly focusing from far to near and in between. I do not feel anything in my eyes as others have reported. Perhaps folks have other internal eye issues that cause problems. I never had lasik before the cataract surgery. I wonder if that's an issue. I guess this should be on the health forum but being retired and not being able to see well is a safety issue.
What is the specific brand of "premium" multi-focal IOL did you have put in? I have been reading up on Crystalens and Tecnis brands. As I got older I had the increasing problem of not being able to focus closeup, did your implant actually allow you to focus closeup like you were young again without reading glasses?

Old 07-12-2014, 10:29 PM

9,745 posts, read 7,027,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I also have to consider my cataract surgery very successful. I opted for the monofocal IOL's to correct for distance vision, and they have done amazingly well in that regard. I do use reading glasses for closer vision, but I can use the drugstore ( 2.5 diopter) glasses for close work, reading and computer work. I also have a pair of prescription glasses which I when I drive or go out, and those are transitional bifocals which are nearly plain glass at the top ( because my distance vision is 20/20) and the 2.50 diopter at the bottom. I use those glasses because I don't have to keep taking them off/putting them on to see close or far. It's just a matter of convenience.

I think most folks who use drugstore magnifying glasses keep several pairs around because they don't wear them all the time, and leave them where they took them off. When they need those glasses they'd be looking for where they left them last. Having several pairs around the house lets folks pick up the glasses that are handy. The glasses are inexpensive enough to have several pairs around for this purpose.

I don't feel the lenses in my eye either, and I have glaucoma.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:10 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,441,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
What is the specific brand of "premium" multi-focal IOL did you have put in? I have been reading up on Crystalens and Tecnis brands. As I got older I had the increasing problem of not being able to focus closeup, did your implant actually allow you to focus closeup like you were young again without reading glasses?

Yes, my vision is perfect except as I outlined in a previous post in this thread, some problems with glare at night. Check my initial post in this thread for more info including the type of lenses I had put in. thanx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement