Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times

Advertisements

I may have to make a future decision on cataract surgery so am wondering what the experiences people have had. I am nearsighted so this is a chance to improve my eyesight with the replacement cataract.

Not sure what the exact terms are since I am starting my research but there seems to be the basic monofocal IOL that allows me to look at books/computers without glasses and look at distance for driving as example with glasses. Others use the monofocal IOL to look at books with glasses and distance without glasses. These are considered "standard" cataract surgery fully covered by insurance. Then there are the "premium" IOLs which are "multi-focal" IOLs which in theory allow people to look at books and distance without glasses. These premium IOLs require out of pocket expense since they are not fully covered by insurance.

Would like to hear about first-hand cataract surgery experiences people have had, whether they like the IOL they picked, or even what people have heard from others who have had cataract surgery?

Last edited by fumbling; 06-16-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
My DH had the surgery and as it was explained to us, the distance vision is better as you can always buy the reading glasses at the store. Or, another option is to keep your glasses but only have the reading portion prescription. Also, Medicare and insurance companies usually cover only the monfocal so expect to pay close to $3,000 for the multi, which may not yet be all they are claiming.

I am getting ready to have the new cataract surgery done which has been available for about a year or so now at Stanford. It is supposed to be faster to recover with it. http://ophthalmology.stanford.edu/pa...cataracts.html I can't tell you enough to totally check out your surgeon before allowing anyone to cut your eye.

Your vision will be off for the first week or so after your surgery as you brain and eyes get used to working together again so keep your expecations in line. After that, it gets much better.

http://stanfordhospital.org/newsEven...ry-savoie.html

Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Last edited by Heidi60; 06-16-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 01:17 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
I had cataract surgery in both eyes, 2 yrs ago. Before surger I was very near sighted all my life but successfully wore soft contact lenses. When the near vision became a problem, I did "mono vision" with the contacts. During cataract surgery I had the bi-focal lenses put in. I LOVE THEM! The doc also did some laser work on my corneas since I had a stigmatizm. He said he couldn't get me to 20/20 but guess what? I am 20/20 now, I can see far, I can see near, and even thread a needle without needing reading glasses. My night vision is back to it's remarkable original also. I've never been more happy in my life! My insurance would not pay for those bi-focal lenses and they were about $4,000 for both. It is worth every penny. There are a number of different types of bi-focal lenses - I have RESTOR model SN6AD1

The only problem I have and continue to have although it has gotten better, is circles around headlights at night. However, because my night vision is great now, that is no longer a problem as I can see everything around the on coming vehicles very clearly - unlike when my night vision went to hell and I couldn't even drive at night.

Do ALOT of reading before getting surgery and if your eye doc doesn't like the idea of bi-focals and you want them, change eye doctors. I did. Good luck!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 03:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I know several who had surgery and replacement lenses inserted to correct vision. No problems at all as its pretty common minor surgery these days.my brother in law had it recently and little recovery time.My sister had it just before that and same.Both wore contacts and they said it was easier to get use to by far than wearing them.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:32 AM

413 posts, read 701,235 times
Hi LDG, I'm glad you had a good experience with the bifocals. When my mom had her surgery, the doctor did not recommend them, he said he'd had to remove them from a couple patients who hated them. But the thing I hate most about growing old is not having the near vision. I am looking forward to having my cataracts "ripen" enough to have them out.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
I had cataract surgery while still in my fifties. Piece of cake! Each eye was done 6 months apart. I was riding my bike the same night as the first surgery.

I went for the mono-vision, one eye far/one eye near. I love it! My brother opted for far vision in both eyes because he was sick of being near-sighted all his life. A friend did the same but she is totally dependent on reading glasses.

I am so happy to be rid of glasses. I can read fine but if the print is small, or if I'm doing crossword puzzles, then I use reading glasses. The only thing with mono-vision is you can't successfully use the CVS brand reading glasses because they only correct one eye because both your eyes see differently. I had a pair made and I'm good to go!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Just something which I think is very important.

I thought it was good that the doctor went over what would happen with the combination of implant lens plus bifocals after surgery. He actually told me how I woudl 'see' after the surgery. Further he asked me how I would feel about it since there could be variation in how he did the surgery. Glad he did it because the way I saw after was very different than previous. I wasn't surprised at all after everything was done. Just my opinion.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I was extremely near sighted. I wore glasses and then contacts until the doctor wouldn't give them to me since I have such bad allergy problems and that is made worse with contacts. When it became necessary for me to be able to drive, I had lasik, and was astounded by the results .... except for the fractured way light looks at night. I don't know if that's been fixed, but I worried about driving at night since everything had a 'halo'.

Then due to medication, about ten years ago, I had bad cataracs in both eyes, one at a time, which just were blurs. They ask and I said good distance vision. The halos are much less and my distance vision is still good ten years later. But what surprised me was how much better the close up was too.

Little print requires reading glasses and I have a box stashed in rooms where they are needed. Its not a big problem. I use a lightly tinted, small magnification 'sun reader" for the computer which cuts down the glare.

It was a horrible experience to go through especially as the doctor KNEW I developed them and apparently didn't know that the meds commonly caused them and should have pulled them immediately. But I see better now than I ever have.

Fully how you never know what the good or bad of something is until its all done.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Interesting. I want to know all about cataract surgery and what to expect.

It would be something positive about growing older if the results would be improved vision.

I am very nearsighted and also have astigmatism. My eyesight was too poor for me to be a candidate for lasik. The glasses I need cost a lot because the lenses have to be made thin enough to fit inside the frames. Even if I had to pay a few thousand $$ extra for the right type of surgery, that cost would be made up for by the price I have to pay now for two pair of glasses.

How bad do your eyes have to be before you qualify for the cataract surgery? Who determines it? Your eye doctor? Is there any way of knowing for yourself that you have cataracts? What are the symptoms?

I was told about three years ago that I had the beginnings of cataracts. How long does it normally take until you are able to get the surgery?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
All cataracts don't progress at the same pace, so it will be up to your own vision experience and what the doctor can measure which will determine when you are ready for the surgery. Typically, one eye will have more cloudiness than the other which is why some people are able to wait years before having the second eye done. Sunlight, medications, and diet also contribute to how they progress. My vision is poor at night, but during the day I do pretty well unless I stay on the computer too long. I turned down the brightness on the monitor which helped for about a year but now I also have to increase the font size. So, it is my time... and to each his own.

I use sources like Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic for professional information about issues so don't forget to check out those sites as well as the above link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement