U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 04:30 PM

71,673 posts, read 71,801,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
MJ, love your photography but seriously, 17 minutes from Bay Terrace? Time for a new watch.
we jump on the lie and drive in to midtown early mornings and make it in 17 minutes if light traffic . google maps put it at about 24 minutes right now on a workday at 6:40 pm. in fact the LIRR only takes 30 minutes or so with stopping. we are 15 miles away.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-23-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 05:08 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,851,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we jump on the lie and drive in to midtown early mornings and make it in 17 minutes if light traffic . google maps put it at about 24 minutes right now on a workday at 6:40 pm. in fact the LIRR only takes 30 minutes or so with stopping. we are 15 miles away.

QR I think you and MJ should pull the other legs. They have bells on them.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:24 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
An 'outside-the-box' possibility for your outside-the-box thinking, might be to look for a 'housing exchange' particularly during the December to March season. There are a ton of people in NYC and elsewhere who become winter 'snowbirds' and pay big bucks for Florida rentals during the season.

Such an 'exchange' would give you a place to stay for an extended 3-4 month period, with little/no added housing cost, while you gave your dream a serious 'test drive.' Sometimes, such exchanges can also include vehicles. -- Good luck!
That is an excellent idea

Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Don't knock it till you tried it. . .
I've tried it - and I can knock it <LOL>. OTOH - New York certainly isn't unique in terms of having crowded subways:

16 Jaw Dropping Videos of Overcrowded Subways - Urlesque

People who are retired can avoid some of the unpleasantness by avoiding travel at peak hours. But they can't escape things like summer heat or filth (in those systems that have summer heat or are filthy) - or crime (in those systems that aren't safe) - or lack of handicap access (in stations/systems that don't have it) - etc. My husband and I find it increasingly difficult to use public transportation - but can still navigate good systems (like the subway in Tokyo - which is a great system - except during rush hours - when it's a total zoo). I think the only way for someone to figure out whether a public transportation system works for him/her is to give it a thorough "test drive".

FWIW - one aspect of living in a place like New York is the possible pitfalls of renting versus owning (one can of course buy in New York - but owning is less common than renting there). With owning - one can more or less lock in one's costs over a fairly long period of time. Especially in states like California and Florida which limit increases in property taxes. With renting - unless you're in a rent-controlled place - increases in rent can easily outpace one's budget - especially in sought after cities (e.g., places like San Francisco today). Robyn

Old 06-24-2014, 07:15 AM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
However, on the NYC subway/elevated passengers are actually pushed and pressed against other people during busy times of the day. Doesn't that sondd sanitary and pleasant?
LOL. It's no surprise that someone who who is happy in a state where the cattle outnumber people would have a phobia about riding the NY subway. Come on in - the water's fine!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
LIE is - I think - for people who don't know - the Long Island Expressway. Which = a car. Which is something the OP is trying to do without. Do most of the people you know in New York own cars? Robyn

Old 06-24-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
LOL. It's no surprise that someone who who is happy in a state where the cattle outnumber people would have a phobia about riding the NY subway. Come on in - the water's fine!
I don't know about HIW. But I don't have a phobia. I just dislike being in any big city and doing something like going out for dinner to a nice restaurant in the summer. And arriving at my destination a rumpled sweaty mess. We mostly use cabs in big cities these days. But find that many (and not only in New York) are almost as bad as the subways/buses (a lot of cab drivers are allergic to using their A/C - assuming it works - which it sometimes doesn't).

BTW - you've mentioned that you retired from Houston to Philadelphia. Why not New York? Robyn

Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't know about HIW. But I don't have a phobia. I just dislike being in any big city and doing something like going out for dinner to a nice restaurant in the summer.
If you dislike big cities, your advice on a good place to live will clash with those who like big cities.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
LIE is - I think - for people who don't know - the Long Island Expressway. Which = a car. Which is something the OP is trying to do without. Do most of the people you know in New York own cars? Robyn
He lives in Eastern Queens. The car owning and usage habits are rather different than the closer in parts of the city.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM

2,774 posts, read 3,589,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If you dislike big cities, your advice on a good place to live will clash with those who like big cities.
Very true.

Time on the train to Manhattan from where we are in the NW Bronx is a little over 20 min to on the metro north (accessible), and 25 to 30 min on the subway (to Columbus Circle - not accessible).

No Robyn, I'm not retirement age, but have had close relatives with mobility issues - both my sister and father lost the ability to drive while they were still capable of being quite active physically -- for my sister it was a risk of seizures and my father it was a depth perception problem. Both had car accidents before having their licenses taken away, and both lived in areas where it wasn't possible to get anywhere walking, and left the house very little during this time as a result (although my sister eventually came to live with me).

Of course this situation doesn't happen to everyone, but if it does, many areas of NYC are a good option that can allow more independence and mobility. Once someone is in a wheelchair, it's I'm sure harder everywhere. However I used to see people in wheelchairs all the time on the bus (since I regularly took a bus that stopped in front of a large hospital). Sometimes they'd be out on their own, sometimes with someone else, depending on their abilities I guess. There are a few homes for the elderly close by, with a few residents that regularly almost run me over on the sidewalk in their motorized wheelchairs.

Last edited by yodel; 06-24-2014 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or