U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 06:58 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,227,377 times

Advertisements

Mathjak-thank you for the wonderful photography!

Robyn and JM- it might be time to put it to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 07:10 AM

71,687 posts, read 71,801,099 times
thanks.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:18 PM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Robyn and JM- it might be time to put it to bed.
You're right. There are more mature ways to express different opinions. Apologies to Robyn and everyone else.

Happy 4th to all!

Old 07-04-2014, 12:44 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The reason the Inquirer doesn't run a society column - apart from the fact that almost no one does these days - is that unless you're an old main line Wasp there - you're not invited to the party - even as a spectator.

Different places have different attitudes about wealth. All I can say about Philadelphia is if you're not white and Waspy enough - you won't be aware of what goes on there. Because not only won't you be invited to the party (even as a spectator) - you won't be welcome there either - even if you could afford it.

When I worked my first job at a prestigious Philadelphia law firm - as a 2L student intern - the law firm had weekly luncheons. At a club where Jews weren't welcome as members - and women weren't allowed at all. So I - the only woman intern - COULD NOT ATTEND FIRM LUNCHEONS. You might see where that would stick a little in my craw. FWIW - a lot of "Main Line" Philadelphia hasn't changed to this day. Try joining a great golf club there if you're a Jew. Even if you have billions. You'll get blackballed.

Not that Philadelphia has/had any monopoly on that kind of stuff. It was as bad or worse in Miami (where we lived for 20+ years). Same no Jews at golf club stuff for many decades. And women not welcome in downtown eating clubs (even when they were clients of members - which grew to be a little embarrassing as women started to control business in terms of $$$).

I will tell you in all honesty that one reason we moved where we are now is - when we retired - we were avid golfers and tennis players. And the good clubs in Miami for those things were only open to Jews on a very limited availability basis (if they were available at all). Like tennis club X had a 10% Jewish quota - and you had to be a great player to join if you were Jewish (like you had to play at Wimbledon when you were younger). Even today in Miami - a club like Indian Creek only has a couple of Jewish members - like Carl Icahn - and not because there aren't a lot of Jews who don't have the money to join. Even lesser clubs weren't open to us. We were told politely by Wasp lawyer friends of ours that we should join Westside (the old Jewish club in a not so nice part of Miami - now closed). Even though my husband is a Wasp - and I'm Jewish (and he wouldn't have been particularly welcome at Westside).

Here - we have what's called "real estate clubs". If you can afford to buy the real estate - you can join the club. Regardless of race - religion - whatever. It was very refreshing to us. Don't know how things work in Houston (or Delaware either for that matter). But I think if one can afford to pay for something - and can meet any other requirements (like you have to be a really good golfer to join Augusta and some other places) - one ought to be able to do it without any type of discrimination.

IOW - my take/angle on this seems to be very different than yours. I know I have more than most (from charitable stuff) and a whole lot less than others (from working in Greater Miami Jewish Federation with some billionaires). I just never liked the discrimination that came with a whole lot of old Wasp garbage. Robyn

Geesh, reading all this makes me very glad I'm not rich and don't have to encounter any of that....

Old 07-04-2014, 01:42 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Mathjak - Once again, great pics. Did you tell the gorilla to "Open your mouth and say AWWWWW"?

You and Marilyn really should publish your work.

Last edited by Umbria; 07-04-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-04-2014, 01:56 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,706,933 times
Quote:
Also don't recall seeing anyone suggesting the Upper East Side to o/p...we
know the hoity toity peeps live there
Well since I was born and raised there I know the place pretty well. When people know I'm from there the eyes kind of light up implying ooohh I was brought up 'in wealth'. Thing is it's simply a neighborhood of the NYC that has changed drastically in the area of NYC over the years. I noticed that ads for apartments on the UPES tend to be 'cheaper' relatively speaking that those closer to 5th Ave. Why? Well one is because of the trek to the subway. But in any case the apartments in both areas can set one back. As noted housing can get ya in NYC. I mean especially when kids from wealthy parents from Europe or Asia are bidding on apts as well. Some don't' have a chance to play the game. Sinatra said it all, 'That's life!"..;-)...

Retiring to NY is surely a great dream. If one has the means to enjoy the thing great things the city offers and wants to partake of it well go for it. No doubt yes probably the greatest city in the world. But I figure one everybody knows you'll have to pay for it.

NYC, in my estimation, has always been a city of 'haves' and 'have-nots'. For sure, retirees here have to be the former but they'll see when they get here how better they live in the city than the 'have-nots'. Sure would love to know what the stats are on the 'middle-class' lifestyle in Manhattan...And I sure as hell can never go back home ...but I visit!....;-)...

Old 07-04-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Mathjak - Once again, great pics. Did you tell the gorilla to "Open your mouth and say AWWWWW"?

You and Marilyn really should publish your work.
Thanks. We do sell some of it now on line but one day we hope to get a little more serious about it.

I went part time at work as of this week so we will have more time to devote to it. Eventually photography and the grandchildren will take up most of our time.

We are hoping to get in to manhattan to shoot tomorrow. We will pop on the long island rail road and go in for perhaps a shoot at grand central station and then lunch.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:53 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Thanks. We do sell some of it now on line but one day we hope to get a little more serious about it.

I went part time at work as of this week so we will have more time to devote to it. Eventually photography and the grandchildren will take up most of our time.

We are hoping to get in to manhattan to shoot tomorrow. We will pop on the long island rail road and go in for perhaps a shoot at grand central station and then lunch.
You two really do enjoy your life

Old 07-04-2014, 03:11 PM

We do ,we really woke up about all the fabulous things we have around us in nyc when we were preparing to move to our house in the pocono mountains and retire.

We realized that wasn't for us and everything we could want is right here.

We have not stopped taking in all these things and it is now going on 9 years that we constantly look for fresh ideas and places to photograph.

Throw in the fact all our kids and grandkids are here and there is no reason for us to want to move elsewhere.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:59 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Tough way to make a living. Although it's easy to get photo credits if you're just willing to give it away (which I am). I've been published in various Florida publications. And even - believe it or not - a few years ago in the Philadelphia Inquirer (it liked a picture I had posted on Journey South - asked my permission to publish - and I - of course - gave it). Robyn

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or