U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 06:14 PM

1,704 posts, read 612,502 times

Advertisements

@matisse12 - enjoyable articles, thanks for posting!

@OP - thanks for getting back to the topic! It is obvious to me why a person would want to retire to NYC, but what exactly is holding you back from the definitive decision? Cost? Risk of crime? Another place to which you might be attached by personal or family ties? (I can't think of any other other reasons to not retire to NYC, really). If there are cons to the decision (in addition to all the obvious pros), how do you think you might deal with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 09:25 AM

1,061 posts, read 516,164 times
Iím considering moving back to NYC. Probably would go back to Park Slope or the UWS. Love that proximity to a park. Park Slope isnít a heck of a lot cheaper from what I see on Zillow.

I think the lifestyle would be great, but Iíd have to factor in Uber/cabs once I hit 75 or so .....Iím not doing the subway. Maybe things have changed, but I donít remember snow lasting very long on the streets of Manhattan or Brooklyn. And I donít ever remember subway service being disrupted because of it.

Brownstone Brooklyn is just beautiful. I could walk those neighborhoods all day staring at the architecture.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:23 AM

110 posts, read 50,259 times
There are a lot of perks in NYC for seniors at centers. As mentioned cheap transportation and free activities and events can be appealing. A studio apartment outside of Manhattan is manageable, but its not Manhattan.
The weather may be an issue.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:31 PM

9,580 posts, read 10,923,342 times
NYC has many attractions for the vacationer; I've been there many times. Living there, however, means crime, traffic, surveillance cameras, and a never ending noisy background. We don't have subways or much in the way of senior centers, but we have this. I don't need to look for my car keys because I keep them in my car.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/d_N0J-4MlF8

Old 04-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
NYC has many attractions for the vacationer; I've been there many times. Living there, however, means crime, traffic, surveillance cameras, and a never ending noisy background. We don't have subways or much in the way of senior centers, but we have this. I don't need to look for my car keys because I keep them in my car.

No 2nd avenue subway system in Wyoming? Wow

Old 04-13-2018, 02:00 PM

71,563 posts, read 71,730,589 times
we retired in queens and don't regret it for a second

Old 04-13-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we retired in queens and don't regret it for a second
MJ are you able to park in the street there? Alternate side parking?

Old 04-13-2018, 02:38 PM

71,563 posts, read 71,730,589 times
the street is very difficult . we pay for an indoor parking spot within the building .about 190 a month i think

Old 04-13-2018, 03:11 PM

2,907 posts, read 1,588,036 times
I used to love to drive but gave it up when I moved back to NYC 25 years ago. The expenses associated with owning a car here all those years & into the future would've required me to keep working several more years than I did & have a larger nest egg. I hardly ever miss it now & just rent a car a few times a year if I want to take a road trip somewhere. My grocery is around the corner & over a dozen inexpensive restaurants are within a 10-15 minute walk from my door.

It is just one more of those things I don't have to worry about anymore by living here like shoveling snow or fixing the fence or replacing the boiler, etc...

Old 04-13-2018, 03:27 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Crime in New York City is not bad at all. It hasn't felt nor been recorded as particularly troublesome probably since after the 1970's.

I didn't find crime bad at all when I lived in NYC a few decades ago, and not during my about 40 trips to NYC after living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or