Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 12:29 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
...Staten Island is like living in the middle of no where. In addition the mind set there is as if you're living in 1955 Alabama or Mississippi...
I have a cousin who has lived on Staten Island for ages - Todt Hill - and that area always reminded me of the Sopranos - not Alabama or Mississippi . And - at least in that part of Staten Island - you need a car (some serious dollars too - there isn't a house on his block that's worth < $1 million). Robyn

P.S. To LaurieDeee - Haven't been to Staten Island for about a decade. So I don't know what it's like today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:36 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
O/P just to give you an idea, plenty of studios here on the upper west side under $2K

Citi-Habitats New York City Apartments - NYC Apartments - Manhattan Lofts, Real Estate Rental
Go get the defibrillator..... I can't even imagine paying 50K a month in RENT! That site almost gave me heart failure!

Last edited by yellowsnow; 06-24-2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I hate to break it to you clip314 but most native Staten Islanders have left the island and I don't blame them. It's overcrowded, filled with townhouses, traffic is a nightmare and the population is getting out of control. It's not at all like the 'country atmosphere' we used to have. Most of the people living here now are from Brooklyn.

Ask anyone where they're from originally and I bet they'll say from Brooklyn.

Exactly, everyone in NYC knows Staten Islanders move to New Jersey and are back-filled by Brooklynites. Brooklyn gets the overflow from Manhattan, Bronxites move to Westchester and Putnam and folks like me moved from Queens to Long Island. It's all in the rule book, we all got a copy.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:51 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Exactly, everyone in NYC knows Staten Islanders move to New Jersey and are back-filled by Brooklynites. Brooklyn gets the overflow from Manhattan, Bronxites move to Westchester and Putnam and folks like me moved from Queens to Long Island. It's all in the rule book, we all got a copy.
You missed the addendum. Quite a few Staten Islanders are bypassing NJ and going straight to Pa.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I can understand wanting to live in NYC. So much to see and do there and public transportation is wonderful compared to most of the rest of the country. I do wonder what it would be like to live there as you become older and more frail. I can see that public transportation becoming much more difficult to use. And icy sidewalks would become an issue too.

My SO was born and raised in NYC and environs and he says it is totally unaffordable to live there unless you are very wealthy.

If it was my dream to live there I think I would rent a furnished place for a year and bring whatever I could put in suitcases and go. When the year was up, I would re-evaluate my dream armed with real life experience. If you decide that's the life for you, great. If not, you could always change cities or even decide to move back to Florida. Never hurts to try it before you buy it. Reality is often not the stuff dreams are made of.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:13 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttface3 View Post
Yes, there are *some* enclaves of Irish and Italian that most have never heard of...but, still those enclaves really aren't majorities, they are larger percentages than the rest of the city still eclipsed in number by other groups. Diversity is one thing but I don't like being a minority in general, tbh. most people don't.
I don't know the percentage of Irish immigrants vs. Irish americans in Woodlawn, but it's not an insigificant number--you hear brouges all the time on the street. The neighborhood is 85% white according to Wikipedia, but even that's probably not white enough for some on this board to feel comfortable .

Last edited by yodel; 06-24-2014 at 02:22 PM..

Old 06-24-2014, 04:09 PM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
When I lived in Queens, not too far from MJ I had a car too. Queens is for people that live IN NYC but ON Long Island - best of both worlds. Subway, RR in to Manhattan, car out to LI.
yep nothing beats having a car but being ablew to pop on the train and go into manhattan.

we do that frequently. we will play tourist every so ofton and stay in a hotel and see a show and do all the touristy things even though we live a half hour away by train.

i rarely used to go into manhattan but once we had bought the house in PA and thought about retiring there we began to realize we had all we wanted right here in nyc including our kids and grandkids.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttface3 View Post
lol Honestly no 85% is a very high percentage of "white people". In fact it's the highest percentage I've ever seen anywhere I've lived which is why I'm having a hard time imagining it.
And there are nice neighborhoods that aren't majority white too of course. I'm used to misconceptions about the BX--most people have little personal experience with it (too scared) and many of these think they know everything anyway.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
To give a for example - how many of you who live in the NYC metro area go to any museum often enough to have a membership there?* How many of you went to the Magritte exhibit at MOMA this past winter (one of the great art exhibits in our lifetime)? Maybe you don't like art. Maybe you're a fan of the symphony - opera - ballet? Who has season subscriptions to those things? Or perhaps you like high end restaurant fare that's very difficult to find outside all but a small number of cities in the US. Who frequents 3 star Michelin restaurants - even occasionally?

No question New York - especially Manhattan - has tons of this stuff. And my husband and I frequent it on trips. But there's no way on earth we could afford to live there (in Manhattan) unless we were prepared to live in a teeny tiny place/bad neighborhood/neighborhood that doesn't have the things I'm interested in/crummy building/etc. Which I'm not willing to do. For 1500 sf (about half of what we have today) - in a neighborhood I like (we usually stay at the Four Seasons in New York - and I like that neighborhood ) - in a nice building - we'd probably be looking at rentals starting at $8k - condos starting at $2 million. And rent is just the start of it. Heck - the Ys in New York cost about 3 times what we pay here (almost $2k/year compared to $600 and change). If we lived in Manhattan - we probably wouldn't be able to afford all the things we like doing when we visit there (like going to great restaurants). Now maybe the OP - who lives alone and probably needs less sf than my husband and I do - is willing to make compromises that I'm not willing to make. That's for her to say. Robyn
Last time we went to Moma was last summer, so I didn't see the Magritte exhibit, but we did see the rain room in 2013:
MoMA | Rain Room
There are also many suggested admission museums, like the Met, Natural History Museum, Cloisters, so the pass is not a must, although I have known people who had it. I don't know why live here if you don't take advantage to some extent, but we don't eat in expensive restaurants--we'd be more likely to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and walk on the promenade, fly a kite at Battery Park City, meet friends in Central Park--you get the idea. The only membership I have is the New York Botanical Gardens, because it's only a little more than 5 minutes on foot from me - in fact I was there earlier today to study. Within walking distance, we also have a Little Italy, and an off-Broadway theater. I used to get a pass for the zoo, which also gets you into the aquarium, but the kids are a bit older now and not as interested.

$8,000, really?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Op seems to have has they say bugged out several days ago to leave the Florida and New York factions to fight it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement