U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:15 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,792,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I never understood how anyone could study a game of chance. You get what you're dealt. What's to study, unless you mean the art of bluffing.
While I am not the right person to answer this, there are odds to getting certain combinations, Newenglandgirl. It is complex and subtle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 08:45 PM

15 posts, read 15,167 times
Retirees can do freelance or consultation to a number of companies regarding the same trade that they are into. Academic retirees however can volunteer in a nearby university or college. Some schools are in dire need of experts who can finish certain and double-check documents for them. SOURCE: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/reti...etirees-4.aspx

Last edited by castoriehandley93; 06-17-2014 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: SOURCE

Old 06-18-2014, 06:38 AM

10,499 posts, read 5,970,013 times
Quote:
I never understood how anyone could study a game of chance. You get what you're dealt. What's to study, unless you mean the art of bluffing.
Yeah I've always felt that way too and we're obviously wrong. There is a reason Phil Ivy wins more than most of the others. And I get it, he plays the odds and there is a ton to know that most of us are totally unaware of. But when the room is full of great poker player is Phil Ivy really that much smarter because the river card happened to be the 9 he needed to win the hand? I just don't get it, seems like a ton of luck. But again I realize that's ignorance talking.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:11 AM

8,245 posts, read 11,959,504 times
Quote:
There are many people who think as you do.

That's why I make money month after month after month....

Quote:
Do you report losses to the IRS? (lol).
Didn't we cover this already in a different thread?

Winning sessions get reported as Other Income on Line 21 of Form 1040.

Losing sessions (as well as my wife's slot machine losses) are reported as Other Miscellaneous Deductions on Line 28 of Schedule A. Gambling losses can only be deducted up to the amount of gambling income claimed on 1040.

BTW, if someone is a net loser, he or she cannont deduct those losses against ordinary income. Also, if someone is merely taking the standard deduction, then no losses can be taken against gambling wins. IOW, if you normally take the standard deduction and happen to win $5 in a scratch-off lottery ticket, you must claim that $5 as income on your 1040 and you can't offset that with your costs from buying other losing tickets. (Not that people actually do this, lol.)

Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 AM

8,245 posts, read 11,959,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I just don't get it, seems like a ton of luck. But again I realize that's ignorance talking.
Here's a funny little video that explains it better than I could. (BTW, for those of you who are still employed, some of the language is NSFW.)

Conversations With Non-Poker Players - YouTube

Old 06-18-2014, 10:43 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,336,361 times
I often thought scantily clad mowing services would make me some cash, I love to mow.
Of course, scantily clad anything would net you some cash in the right circumstance.

Mathjak, will you wear your bicycle shorts while consulting on my portfolio?

I also gave some thought to a visiting geek service. Computer repair/help/instruction. Private, discreet. Hell, I do it for free now for my elder peeps.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 AM

730 posts, read 1,031,843 times
An alternative to selling on eBay might be to try one of the non-auction format venues such as Etsy or Zibbet; fees are lower on those as well.

Quite a few people start out on Etsy as part of a downsizing/clearing out project and then decide to keep going with it; or as a selling venue for their handmade items.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:43 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,278,026 times
You can make money on eBay but you have to know how to do so! Start the bidding with the bare minimum you are willing to take for an item. If it goes higher more power to you. You do need to factor in eBay final value fees and Paypal fees so guestimate those and add into the starting price. Before you start buying stuff to resell on eBay do some research into what is selling on there. Some items sell like hotcakes. I know I get more for items then I would if I had a garage sale. I often look around my apt and closets and list items that I don't want or don't use. Household items do sell. But they must be in very good condition. Listing is free and you can relist as many times as you like. I reduce the price a little bit every time I relist and wait til it sells. If not I just forget about it! When you are in thrift stores look for items with identifying marks like teapots etc that have the manufacturer name on them. Some can be valuable. Name brand clothing in mint condition sells well too. Just use your imagination. When you get the item home Google the info from it and you'll be amazed at the prices. Anyway, this is how I supplement my income in retirement without having to go to work!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:05 PM

4,652 posts, read 6,504,632 times
Market Legal and Identity Theft plans. Ask me how.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:17 PM

9,788 posts, read 7,083,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I often thought scantily clad mowing services would make me some cash, I love to mow.
Of course, scantily clad anything would net you some cash in the right circumstance.

Mathjak, will you wear your bicycle shorts while consulting on my portfolio?

I also gave some thought to a visiting geek service. Computer repair/help/instruction. Private, discreet. Hell, I do it for free now for my elder peeps.
LOL, that might be true provided one is young enough to look good scantily clothed. Otherwise it might be a disadvantage. We WERE talking about retirees, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement