U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 02:54 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,784,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Back in 1972, homeless for a very brief period of time, I panhandled and was shocked how much money I could make, between 4-6pm, in downtown Denver. And it was fun!

Now there's an idea!

Let's see now! Start-up costs: some acting lessons, a dilapidated wheelchair, some scrounge clothes from Salvation Army, and the sign hanging around my neck: Homeless and Hungry!
Not cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 04:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
My BIL pulls in $50k on ebay, but puts a lot of time in it.

Strategically trading niche products and collectables can be good if you know your stuff,

One friend does quite well restoring Jukeboxes (and it is fun too!, especially the people you meet). You can work your own hrs and interests.

I have a few friends who are potters and they do quite well for recreational income.

Tutoring and translation is a pretty good gig.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:48 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
LOL , y'all,. there was a story out on the web about a panhandler who drove home everyday in his brand new F250; dunno if it's true.

Negirl, I wonder how you could turn your lost grave hobby into a moneymaker.

Then again, maybe some things weren't meant to be a profitable enterprise.

I plan to ebay until they peel my cold dead hands from the mouse......... And guess who got me started? My mother!

Old 06-19-2014, 07:10 AM

5,785 posts, read 4,838,667 times
Buying at yard sales and selling on Craigslist or using computer sales forums for specialty items. I was buying used quality bicycles and reselling. Trex, Diamondback, and Cannondale can often be found near new for less than a hundred and resold for a nice profit. In our area upscale neighborhoods have scheduled yard sale days where the whole neighborhood has a sale on the same day and you can hit dozens of sales in one morning. People actually arrive early with U-Haul trucks to clean up on furniture, kids stuff, etc.

In our area "seniors who can" provide services at a fee for "seniors who can't", including everything from driving them on errands, driving folks to and from the airport, cleaning gutters, sewing, refinishing/reupholstering furniture, interior decorating, making custom cakes, housecleaning, painting, closet organizing, pet/house sitting (although this is often done on a trade basis). One business that I heard someone was doing is cooking and freezing meals for a week or a month at a time. The meals can be customized for the customers' likes or special dietary needs and are cheaper and higher quality than the typical Stouffer's lasagna! Many businesses are advertised through community-wide neighborhood websites, or by flyers placed in people's newspaper boxes. Really too many possibilities if you are creative.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:02 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,580,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Have you found ways to make money other than the usual route of a part-time job? I noticed a retiree poster yesterday mentioned selling items on Ebay, although what type of items was not mentioned. I accidentally got hired to do promotion on Twitter for a famous entertainer and it is great, but I'd like to find another additional source of non-traditional income part-time. Anyone with success with this or possible ideas?

If there is already a thread on this, let me know.
(1)Got any mechanical skills?
There is a crying need for mechanics who can repair 2 stroke devices like chain saws, weed eaters, leaf blowers.
I don't make any money on it, but that's because I don't need to. I fix all the neighborhood stuff and just charge for parts.

It's easy work, and easy to learn.

I wouldn't do lawn mowers unless I had a lift for them.

(2) Set up a blade sharpening business. Kitchen knives, scissors, any sort of cutting blade. The equipment and training is cheap.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
Listener, we bought a motorcycle lift to work on yard tractors, it was reasonable at Tractor Supply. This week there's a ten percent off coupon. Just for your fyi.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 AM

15,388 posts, read 12,138,366 times
Art.

Sure the market is way down since Katrina...ask any artist.
So make something incredible and instead of selling it for Gallery prices...say
$1000-3000 or, depending what it is $400-800...
Sell it for $150...advertise...find a niche...painting, metal work...I don't care if it's feathers!
Glue some stained glass onto old windows...there are so many things....

Ok crafts...artsy cute mailboxes, birdhouses...yard art you stick in the ground....it is endless.
Benches outta old barnwood...take em to the Flea Market...but the trick is not to ask $50...
Ask $15. ....$15 adds up...make smaller ones for 12....put potted plastic flowers on it...to draw in people
with no imagination.
You could go home every weekend with $100...it adds up.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:42 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,523,112 times
I buy and sell guitars on craigslist.org. I sell 'em for a high asking price, if no one buys it I just play it 'til someone does.

I build workbenches in my garage and sell 'em on C/L. I sell 2-3 a week, and deliver them for a fee cuz most people don't have an 8' P/U truck to haul such a thing.

I do auto repair and similar work in my shop at home. I recently painted a Big Rig at a truck terminals shop and didn't even have to use my own equipment. Made pretty good money. They gave me 3 more to do if/when I want to. They also offered me a full-time job driving one of their trucks, but I'm not into hauling sand and gravel out of a muddy pit.

I get rental income from my tenants.

I buy houses dirt cheap that need a lot of work and then rent 'em out or sell them after they're re-furbed.

I played bass in several local bands and even toured for awhile. I could do that again for extra $$$ but I'm always butting heads with other band members so I don't do it anymore.

I pick up scrap metal and take it to the re-cycling yard. I get .10 cents a lb.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:38 PM

4,093 posts, read 2,576,815 times
Grow medical pot. Assuming you live in a state where medical marijuana is legal. I have a retired friend who does that. He has a license to grow it. Does quite well.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:34 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,580,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Grow medical pot. Assuming you live in a state where medical marijuana is legal. I have a retired friend who does that. He has a license to grow it. Does quite well.
Nah.
That's just TOO good to be true.

The problems?
(A) Regulations: Now, you didn't think it was going to be unregulated, did you? You can't drive with it in your car; you can't grow it where children have access; cops don't trust you; homeowners associations prevent it; banks are prevented by law from dealing with you...
(B) Cost about 13 grand to set up a pot house on your property. Read the article.
(C) You have to deal with pot heads. And who th' heck wants that?! Those people are crazy, and we're talking about old people here who have little time for irresponsible pot heads.
(D) Competition! Go ahead. Follow all those regulations, endure all those people like me who think you are a living breathing waste of time, spend all that money on a greenhouse under lock and key, and take it to the store to sell it. The store owner has seen all you've got and better, for a lower price! Potheads make lousy businessmen and chances are your competition was there yesterday and sold everything he had for, like, "COUPLA HUNDRID DOLLARS, MAN", and then slinked off to his parents basement to get stoned himself.

Here. Read:
5 Horrible Things Nobody Tells You About Legally Growing Pot | Cracked.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement