U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 743 times

Advertisements

I have read through a lot of threads and comments...so I will try to be precise in my asking...

My husband and I are retiring in a year. Mid to E. TN is on the board. This is what we are looking for:

1. Climate.

(A)My husband has RA, so snowy, icy cold is an issue, hence our leaving MI. Cold for us is freezing or below. A bit of snow that falls and disappears is not an issue. Chronic cold is. We still want the seasons and this is why we are not looking at the dessert areas or places like Florida.
(B) Not a fan of tornadoes and am not looking into West TN.
(C) Humidity-a couple of hot, humid mos. out of the year is a willing price to pay for not having the brutal winters. I thrive in humid weather, and his type of arthritis does not seem to particularly mind the humidity.

2. Scenery.

This is a big deal. (why it is #2 on the list)

I love mountains, at least, rolling, wooded terrain, he loves water-any kind.

(A) From what I can tell, W. TN is more flat than anywhere else and is the other reason we are not seriously looking at anything west of Nashville.

(B) I don't mean this as a slight to anyone, but I really want/need a place that I don't 'see' the neighbors. I love the neighborhood we live in, it is a fantastic community for the most part, but over the last year, a couple of bad apples have indeed spoiled the cart. So, I am hoping for about an acre of mostly private space...not as an isolationist, just a real need for a buffer visually and hopefully, hearing as well. Nature is a big deal for me. We could both sit for hours and just watch the natural world around us.

3. Lifestyle. Here is our lifestyle.

We are quiet and our entertainment and hobbies are simple. I am a gardener, (I have been called a 'greenie' by a Kiwi before), reader, a cook, a photographer, a knitter and artist of one kind or another. He is a retired coach of 22 years who loves to put around in his yard. We have a couple of four legged children that mean the world to us as well as two legged children who are scattered over the states. Closeness to airports is not a big deal as I lived in mid-Michigan and would travel 3 hours to pick up/drop off family at DTW.

We do enjoy going out to eat on occasion, but this is not a regular thing and not a priority for weekly living.
It is more important to me to have fresh local food available. (I frequent my farmer's market every weekend)
We enjoy seeing a movie, but usually in the comfort of our own home. (once every couple of months)
We enjoy socializing, a lot, but usually we are the ones happily hosting! :-)

I really don't like to shop and am no stranger to Amazon Prime :-)

So, a small town, rural atmosphere is welcome, but balanced with a drive of maybe 1/2 hr to a larger community?

4. Home.

(A) I will be honest: I despise cleaning house. We are comfortable, very comfortable in a one story home that is about 950 sq ft. We could actually work with less sq. ft. as we don't collect possessions and many that we do have could be done without.

(B) We do not want to be in any type of 'suburban' area. I know this term may be subjective, so let's see...an area that is surrounded by nature with the occasional neighbor?

(C) Coming from the Detroit region, I could talk a lot about crime, but won't. What I would like to say is this: Yes. Every area has crime. Got it. Not worried about the random stuff. I am concerned about current trend stuff. Yes. I am aware of the meth issues people have brought up and some of it is true, some of it is inflammatory. I do have a concern about moving into an area that isn't 'quite open' to outsiders. It would really stink to settle in only to be 'coerced' into having to leave for whatever reasons. I am not sure if I am being clear, but I do not want to be throwing myself into an arena of passionate debate about crime. Let's keep it real and simple? (Gawd, I hope that didn't sound too snotty???)

5. Income.

Looking to keep it within a comfortable range of 25k-30k a year and a home purchase of 100k or less. We do not have a lot of debt or extraneous expenses. We do quite well living within our means and considering our lifestyle, it really isn't that difficult.

I hope I did a decent job describing what we are looking for? We are travelling down next week and am really excited to hear some suggestions...

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 01:27 PM

382 posts, read 353,672 times
Look at Cookeville, TN.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:53 PM
JRR

3,686 posts, read 2,232,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
Look at Cookeville, TN.
I agree. We visited last year and and liked what we found. We are heading back again next month for a week as it is on our short list of retirement places. It would appear to have many of the things you are looking for.

My wife is a fan of the mountains (we have some land in western North Carolina), but she feels that the lay of the land in the Cookeville area would be agreeable with her. Our next trip is to see what the summer heat is like.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfire View Post
Look at Cookeville, TN.
Isn't Cookville the golfing capital of the world?

Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,047,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Isn't Cookville the golfing capital of the world?
Nope, that is Crossville, a little up I-40, very near Cookeville. It is also a community they may want to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement