Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 04:33 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

We help the younger people next door with strimming (?) their weeds. We also have their phone number and keep an eye on their house since they only live here part time. My husband gave a bike to another young neighbor and got it all fixed up for her. She returned the favor by helping us shovel out ice and frozen snow this past horrible winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:31 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
One morning not long ago the old fellow who lives next door with his wife of about the same age called me wanting a ride to the doctor's office, which I gladly provided. Seems he was having sudden trouble with his left ear. The doctor found and removed a suppository from the ear, upon which the old fellow asked to use the office phone to call his wife. He said to her: "Honey, you can stop looking for my hearing aid; I've got a pretty good idea where it is".

Old 06-19-2014, 06:09 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Our widowed next door neighbor and my husband and I ARE the elderly neighbors in the neighborhood. How did that happen? My husband helps her out with things now and then and we take turns watching each other's house, bringing in the mail and watering flowers when vacation time comes.

The college kids that lived across the street some years ago used to help rake leaves but any more we don't know the new people moving into the neighborhood. And my husband is one of those guys who never wants any help from anybody.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 PM

515 posts, read 777,852 times
I help all my neighbors, younger and older alike. I maintain our gravel road, I've repaired lawnmowers, cut up and removed fallen trees, raked and shred leaves and I share my garden veggies with the ones who don't have a garden. I'm the neighborhood fix it guy. I recently put shocks on a motor home and also helped with the demolition and construction of a front porch. I also repaired the HVAC for the same neighbor....No charge!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:06 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,231 times
My mother lives alone and none of us children live in the same town. We see her several times a week but her neighbors are so valuable to us. They help her when she can't open a jar, put in batteries or other small things that she would have to wait for us to arrive to do. They also invite her to dinner and keep an eye on her house. We help with all the big things but knowing her neighbors are watching out for her gives us and her peace of mind. I do not have elderly neighbors yet but will pay this forward when the time comes.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:42 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
I agree. Sates should test more as the population ages. If you pass you should retain your driving privileges. Probably should be tested much more frequently.

Around here, there are stories about teens being killed over the weekend almost all summer long. Very sad.
Have to agree with you...

In High School my class was particularly hard hit and so was my youngest brother's class...

5 teenagers in three separate single car accidents died on a 35 mph country road... speed was determined to be the factor in all... not much good can happen when a car plows into a tree.

My step-grandfather was only able to get a restricted license his last time... daylight only and no freeway... even though he was in his 80's... he still ran his tool and die shop and provided jobs for 16 men... after he died... (not driving) so did the business of 55 years. He was the first to open up and last to close everyday.

My 80 year old Mom also helps the elderly... she has a real talent for pruning... anything from fruit trees to roses... her services are much in demand... do worry about her climbing up into the fruit trees... she said it keeps her young.

In the past... I would go grocery shopping and banking for several widows that were house bound... neither had children... it really wasn't a big deal for me... banking and shopping on a friday after work... I know they appreciated it.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Your neighbors absolutely appreciated you.
So many have no one.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
My mother lived alone in the large house I grew up in. The neighborhood was old and close, everyone knowing everyone and their business.

She had a "young fella" (a teen) who had some mental challenges and lived a few doors down always ready and willing to help her out in any way. He'd show up at her door almost daily with "What do you need today, Mrs. _______." Though he wasn't school-smart, he was a master of fixing things (he started helping her when he was 14). My mother used to say she didn't know what she'd do without him, as her own kids were undependable (not). My mother tried to pay him but he always adamantly refused. The more I think about this kid now (who died at a young age), the more amazed I am at all that he did.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:26 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My mother lived alone in the large house I grew up in. The neighborhood was old and close, everyone knowing everyone and their business.

She had a "young fella" (a teen) who had some mental challenges and lived a few doors down always ready and willing to help her out in any way. He'd show up at her door almost daily with "What do you need today, Mrs. _______." Though he wasn't school-smart, he was a master of fixing things (he started helping her when he was 14). My mother used to say she didn't know what she'd do without him, as her own kids were undependable (not). My mother tried to pay him but he always adamantly refused. The more I think about this kid now (who died at a young age), the more amazed I am at all that he did.

There are some amazingly smart people that can't put together a sentence or cypher a math problem but are whizzes at something solid like a wall or mechanical like a car. I joined the army oh so many years ago and didnt realize that my real talent is mechanical. It came to me much later in life but there were signs of it. Like the time I had to replace the rim on my bicycle. I couldn't afford the whole wheel but I could afford the rim itself. When I bought it at the bike shop the owner told me that when I was done to bring it by and he would tune it up. I didnt know what that meant but said I would. The next day I drove my bike down to the shop. He put it up on his rack and spun the wheel. He looked at it for a while then took it down and offered me a job. Seems I had the wheel dead nuts straight and he was going to line it up but had no need to. Guess I should have known then but......

Old 06-20-2014, 06:05 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Our widowed next door neighbor and my husband and I ARE the elderly neighbors in the neighborhood. How did that happen? My husband helps her out with things now and then and we take turns watching each other's house, bringing in the mail and watering flowers when vacation time comes.

The college kids that lived across the street some years ago used to help rake leaves but any more we don't know the new people moving into the neighborhood. And my husband is one of those guys who never wants any help from anybody.
The post office will take care of the mail for you. Just do a vacation hold (you can do it on line) and they'll hold all your mail and deliver it when you get home. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement