U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:46 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,297,215 times

Advertisements

Our plan is to take care of each other. If that's not possible then we will hire some one from a company that will send a home assistant to do the laundry and cook the meals and clean-up. This will still work if only one of us is still alive.

The very last worst option is assisted living. I have never had a relative that needed assisted living except my MIL because of dementia. She spent only 2 years in assisted living before she died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 AM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
You can never plan for all contingencies and a long-term stay in a care facility (several years) will bankrupt most anyone paying on their own.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
You can never plan for all contingencies and a long-term stay in a care facility (several years) will bankrupt most anyone paying on their own.
My conclusion also. Most of us are facing a complete unknown without a very happy prospect.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:39 AM

730 posts, read 1,026,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My conclusion also. Most of us are facing a complete unknown without a very happy prospect.
Agreed. Although I'm aware of the possibility, there really is nothing I can do to plan for it. It's enough of a challenge trying to figure out when "normal living" will become impossible on my income and resources! There's no way that I can afford any kind of LTC insurance. I suppose the only recourse for me would be to sell the house that I own at the time and use whatever $ that brings to pay for assisted living care but when that runs out... well, I have absolutely no idea. Can't get blood from a stone, as they say...

Old 06-19-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Can't get blood from a stone, as they say...
True, and if a huge number of people are in the same situation, as will likely be the case, and we all still have the right to vote, maybe something will be done to make aging in America possible for other than the rich.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvodene View Post

I'm a musician and I have many musician friends.
Oh my! That seems like a lot to live for right there! Can you will me your musical gift before you go? I've always envied creative people that could make music. You make others happy with your music too you know. I'd reconsider. God bless.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:09 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,573 times
I'm sort of in the same boat. My husband is older and due to his health issues will probably make me a widow long before it is my turn to die. I have no living children or any relatives, and very few friends... certainly no friends that would help me as I age. Point of fact, throughout my life I've just hired people to help when the need arose as I haven't found friends to be there when the going gets tough. They are there for the fun of it, and I learned to accept that.

Unlike you, I did buy LTC insurance. I've felt that was very important in my situation and I've paid for the insurance for over 20 years now. I do believe I will need it.

I've also taken out a life insurance policy on my husband to help replace the income that will be lost when he dies.

I am trying to save as much money as I can. I plan to buy an immediate annuity when I am 70.

My plan is to go into an assisted living facility.

Of course, the best laid plans....

Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I'm sort of in the same boat. My husband is older and due to his health issues will probably make me a widow long before it is my turn to die. I have no living children or any relatives, and very few friends... certainly no friends that would help me as I age. Point of fact, throughout my life I've just hired people to help when the need arose as I haven't found friends to be there when the going gets tough. They are there for the fun of it, and I learned to accept that.

Unlike you, I did buy LTC insurance. I've felt that was very important in my situation and I've paid for the insurance for over 20 years now. I do believe I will need it.

I've also taken out a life insurance policy on my husband to help replace the income that will be lost when he dies.

I am trying to save as much money as I can. I plan to buy an immediate annuity when I am 70.

My plan is to go into an assisted living facility.

Of course, the best laid plans....

You've made some wise moves, and that tilts the odds of being right in your favor.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I will not reconsider. Your definition of "...to live for," is not mine. I don't want to live any longer than what I've spoken of. Only I can convince myself otherwise and that's not likely to happen.

If I become ill with something terminal, I'll bump the date up to RTF NOW!!!

It is my choice and I make it without regard for the opinions of others. They aren't paying my bills.
ok

Old 06-19-2014, 09:20 AM

12,185 posts, read 6,938,149 times
Quote:
I will not live to my 80s or 90s. I don't want to. The world as it is today will be much worse in 20 years (I will be 60 in less than two weeks) and I don't want to see that. If I have not died before my 71st birthday, I will blow what's left of my 401K, max out my credit cards and throw myself a living wake.

I'm a musician and I have many musician friends. I will fly as many of them out as I can afford, and we'll have a party, drinking good booze, vaping good weed, making good music, laughing, crying, and saying goodbye.

The following day, I will get out the large syringe I have of insulin and inject it, intravenously into myself. The glucose crash brought on by the insulin will take me right out.

I don't need no doctor to take myself out. Like the Lynyrd Skynyrd song goes, "You won't find me in an old folks home."

If I am incapacitated, my best friend will do the injection. My cremation is arranged and paid for.

I don't want to live a whole lot longer. I fear what comes next (you'd be a fool not to because you don't KNOW what comes next, there is a difference between faith and certainty) but I can't do anything about that, so I'll just do it and all you young folks can have the planet.

It ain't that pretty at all.
I am a younger than you, early retired from private industry, and am finding this time, right now, is the BEST time of my life. No stress, no kids to raise, a happy marriage and time, precious time, to do whatever I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or