Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 12:31 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, rumor has it that the forgiving wife has her own side thing going on, which might have made her more amenable.
My ex tried very hard for me to do it. Go out, go away for the weekend, etc. He was having a great time doing it, wanted me to do it, too. Guess that would help any guilt he felt (if he ever felt or knew what guilt was). I just didn't do it. Suppose that was a frustration for him.

Re the forgiving wife.... maybe her side thing was another woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 03:53 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
My ex tried very hard for me to do it. Go out, go away for the weekend, etc. He was having a great time doing it, wanted me to do it, too. Guess that would help any guilt he felt (if he ever felt or knew what guilt was). I just didn't do it. Suppose that was a frustration for him.

Re the forgiving wife.... maybe her side thing was another woman?
No, a baseball coach is what I heard. But I suppose that a same-sex relationship could also be an option for some, especially if they had denied that part of themselves earlier in life.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:49 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Something I'd like to hear about from ladies and gents.

I have heard people talk and read articles describing the benefits of sex, etc. I totally agree, sex is exhilarating and fun. Being an "older" woman who has been single a very long time, there has been a rather large lack of it. OK, I've ventured into some activity but nothing long-lasting or regular. And never been one for one-night-stands.

How does a healthy woman (yes I know about self satisfaction) who enjoys the activity but has no partner (male) with none in sight?

It gets lonely out here sometimes. I hate the idea that my sex life is over.

No, this is not an advertisement.
Maybe a "friends with benefits" situation with a platonic male friend. Some guy who never married/remarried and doesn't want to, perhaps?

A sweet friend, 69 years old, found a nice widower (71, wife passed away from cancer a year earlier) through a senior dating website. They got married last Saturday.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Long ago when I was single, I had a couple of FWB relationships that ended up with me getting heart broken. I have commiserated with others who had similar experiences, so based on that I would say that if you find a partner for a FWB relationship there is a pretty good chance he/she is just accepting that and really hoping for more. I would especially encourage you to discuss it up front; diminishing the meaning afterward is soul crushing.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:42 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
I think for some folks the FWB arrangement can work, but only if it's understood upfront that neither one is looking for a more emotionally intimate relationship. That can be hard to achieve because it almost always seems that there is some imbalance in their feelings or wishes. I don't think it's impossible though, with two very honest and independent people, especially if they are both clear about their separate plans for the future and why they aren't looking or wanting more.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:54 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Even accepting that can mean different things to different people. One of the FWB situations ended because I asked for monogamy. She said I should not expect that since she told me she didn't want to be involved in a relationship at that point. I said there are still some things I refuse to stand in line for. That was pretty much the end of the friendship and the benefits.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:14 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Something I'd like to hear about from ladies and gents.

I have heard people talk and read articles describing the benefits of sex, etc. I totally agree, sex is exhilarating and fun. Being an "older" woman who has been single a very long time, there has been a rather large lack of it. OK, I've ventured into some activity but nothing long-lasting or regular. And never been one for one-night-stands.

How does a healthy woman (yes I know about self satisfaction) who enjoys the activity but has no partner (male) with none in sight?

It gets lonely out here sometimes. I hate the idea that my sex life is over.

No, this is not an advertisement.
Your post reminded me of Maggie Kuhn who founded the Gray Panthers back in the early 70's who advocated that women of a certain age should consider relationships with younger men or same-sex relationships, since women typically live a decade or so longer than their male partners. I think she was always way ahead of the curve because many of the other issues she championed back then have only recently become mainstream notions & accepted.

I don't know how acceptable this is to our current group of oldsters, but I can definitely see this happening with the Millennials of whom a fairly good percentage now have an "elective" lesbian relationship ("LUG") during their college age years & accept same sex marriages, etc, pretty readily, not much of an issue.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:17 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Your post reminded me of Maggie Kuhn who founded the Gray Panthers back in the early 70's who advocated that women of a certain age should consider relationships with younger men or same-sex relationships, since women typically live a decade or so longer than their male partners. I think she was always way ahead of the curve because many of the other issues she championed back then have only recently become mainstream notions & accepted.

I don't know how acceptable this is to our current group of oldsters, but I can definitely see this happening with the Millennials of whom a fairly good percentage now have an "elective" lesbian relationship ("LUG") during their college age years & accept same sex marriages, etc, pretty readily, not much of an issue.
I personally do not want a woman/woman relationship.

As Jerry Seinfeld said, not that there is anything wrong with that. There is not. But it's just not for me.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:51 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
I personally do not want a woman/woman relationship.

As Jerry Seinfeld said, not that there is anything wrong with that. There is not. But it's just not for me.
LOL, I call it "the curse of being heterosexual."

Old 06-20-2016, 05:21 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
LOL, I call it "the curse of being heterosexual."
My ex-husband used to say that he envied bisexuals because "they have twice as many chances for a date on Saturday night."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement