Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,015,992 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to the article in the New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/yo...pw&rref=health

And, here's a direct link to the screening test: SAGE - A Test to Measure Thinking Abilities

Keep in mind it is only a screening test and a poor score does NOT necessarily mean that you have a Mild Cognitive Impairment or Alzheimer's Disease. Likewise, a good score does not necessarily mean everything is A-ok. A complete neuropsychological evaluation would be needed to make that determination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 07:09 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Here's a link to the article in the New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/your-money/a-test-for-the-early-detection-of-alzheimers-disease.html?hpw&rref=health

And, here's a direct link to the screening test: SAGE - A Test to Measure Thinking Abilities

Keep in mind it is only a screening test and a poor score does NOT necessarily mean that you have a Mild Cognitive Impairment or Alzheimer's Disease. Likewise, a good score does not necessarily mean everything is A-ok. A complete neuropsychological evaluation would be needed to make that determination.
So what's the point of taking the test if it doesn't tell you anything?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,123 times
Take the test form to your primary care provider to get your score?? Pah.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So what's the point of taking the test if it doesn't tell you anything?
It could tell you that your cognition sucks...and confirm that you are a bit slower than what is expected for someone your age. The problem, and hence the need to consult with a professional, is whether your poor performance is caused by depression (one of the initial questions) or another disorder that is not a neurodegenerative disease.

There have been quite a few posters who have indicated they are concerned whether they're experiencing "senior moments" or signs of Mild Cognitive Impairment or the early stage of Alzheimer's. Obviously, you're not one of them. And that's o.k.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Take the test form to your primary care provider to get your score?? Pah.
I haven't taken the test yet. Can you not look up the answers? I'll try and get to it this afternoon.

I don't know if it's better than the mini-mental test usually given by the docs, but since you can't self-administer the mini-mental, this is probably the best screening test available outside of a doc's office.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I don't see the point .I would thin it more for people to confirm what they suspect or are paranoid on like so many self diagnoses these days.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:58 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,086,342 times
I actually completely see how these test are and should be used. They should be given in a setting where there is a person monitoring but also where there is some suspicion of cognitive decline. The tests as good as they are designed cannot fully tell the story but they are a good starting point in a diagnosis. In our forum here the tests and the idea that they exist are important as many of us are getting along in age. Some of the questions are reasoned and need not have been taught though there are a few questions that I would take exception with.

Dementia is a horrible way to go. My mom had some symptoms of it though she was functioning well. What took my mom (breast cancer) was worse but she never complained. Anyway I can see some of these questions asked of my father who never received an education and he would fail and what would doctor's think. So texdav you have a valid point as well. Just know that any thing administered like this needs to have strict guidelines and even then all results would need to be evaluated long before any decision is made as to any treatment is needed. Dementia is usually a slow process.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:16 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,043 times
Websites like Luminosity and mybrainertrainer offer cognitive tests and exercises and compare your results with others in your age bracket.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:02 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I haven't taken the test yet. Can you not look up the answers? I'll try and get to it this afternoon.

I don't know if it's better than the mini-mental test usually given by the docs, but since you can't self-administer the mini-mental, this is probably the best screening test available outside of a doc's office.
Well, you can't really self-administer this one either -- if you want the results. You can TAKE it, but then you have to make an appointment with your doctor to get the results. I like the idea of these kinds of tests, but I don't see the need for having to take it to your doctor to find out how you did. What a waste of the doctor's time if he/she sees that you did well.

ETA: I just looked at the test. It's a very simple test so if you do well I think you would know it and not take it to your doctor. So I guess it makes sense for those who aren't sure how they did to take it to their doctor.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:35 PM

It's very similar to the mini-mental exam. Here's the scoring:
http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/pdfs/sa...uctions-us.pdf

More info regarding its validity, etc., here: Alzheimer's & Dementia Weekly: SAGE Pen & Paper Alzheimer's Test
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement