U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I've become less than thrilled with Whole Foods. Prices are - as you point out - very high - and the quality of the produce is often mediocre. I do however love the sausages there - and the desserts. We're getting a Trader Joe's in a couple of months. Have never shopped in one before. Hope it's good. Robyn
We are fortunate we have a Trader Joes and Whole Foods near each other in Raleigh and another Trader Joes about a block from Costco all about 25-30 minutes from us but near other weekly destinations about half hour from us. On the way to the Beach we drive by a Costco, Trader Joes and Whole Foods is about three blocks down from Trader Joes. Trader and Wholes are not the same. Between the three stores you have a great selection of bulk and unique. If you can afford to buy bulk and unique the options are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I would like to see more posts from people who are not part of a "we," like yellowsnow. As much as I look forward to not working for every reason, I am accustomed to some work friendships and conversations, and it has become my community of sorts. I fear my own tendency toward isolation in the first place, so while anticipating giving up the stressful and very unrewarding aspects of my job, I do worry about losing the somewhat sense of community that showing up gives me.
As for "identity," fergit it. I'll leave smoke when I go out the door for the last time on that.
I am single, live alone in the outer city limits on a couple of acres. I've spent most of my life single, in this house and I love it. I go into town maybe once a week to run errands, etc. As a serious introvert being social and out require that I "act". It is an effort to even be around people who I like and who are my friends. I find it exhausting. So even though I have the money to join a country club, buy a new/fancy car, be more social, I simply don't wish it. I'm happy as a clam at home with my dogs, music, computer social life, and stuff to do around here.

Sure, every now and then I like to talk to a human but mostly, it is extremely difficult if not impossible to find someone who wants to discuss the sorts of subjects I find fascinating. Oddly enough, the 2 friends I have who meet this requirement, are also severe recluses! I swear!!

Old 06-25-2014, 04:03 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Sure, every now and then I like to talk to a human but mostly, it is extremely difficult if not impossible to find someone who wants to discuss the sorts of subjects I find fascinating.
Same here.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:04 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
I've become less than thrilled with Whole Foods. Prices are - as you point out - very high - and the quality of the produce is often mediocre. I do however love the sausages there - and the desserts. We're getting a Trader Joe's in a couple of months. Have never shopped in one before. Hope it's good. Robyn
TJ's is mostly packaged foods and some produce and meats. All their fish is frozen but most is deep sea. The prices are considerably better than WF's. Their meats are "no-hormone" but not "organically grass-fed," if that makes a difference to anyone (it certainly makes a difference in price). We don't eat meat but our dogs do, and we buy theirs at TJ's, which does stand by their claim of "no GMO foods." I go to WF for the wild (not farm-raised) salmon.

Watch out at WF, it was just exposed in CA that on some items it overcharges in failing to calculate the cost of the weight of containers at self-service. And much if not most of their produce is "conventional" (not certified organically grown) at high prices. These "conventional" foods may be organically grown (the cost for a farm to be certified is too high for many farmers) but they cannot be labeled organic without the cert. OTH, they may well not be organically grown. Reading signs and labels becomes a must when you're paying such high prices.

TJ's tracks WF's in locations. That's a good thing, imo.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 AM

13,879 posts, read 25,306,858 times
Quote:
A drive-in - how "retro". Sounds like fun . Was it? Robyn
The drive in was wonderful! Jersey Boys was only OK. The perfect touch was when 2 classic cars parked next to me. People were talking and socializing, kids were playing ball down in front of the screen and very well behaved. What a great place! I had been driving by it for years and never knew it was there. The place was straight out of the 50's. Big yellow arches over the ticket booths.

It was pretty hot but there was a nice breeze. It would be an even better experience in Fall or Spring. But they had no cartoons! They needed cartoons!

Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,262 times
Default Help Others??

Could you not take all the expertise that you have learned through the jobs that you have had and pass on some of the experience and lessons learned to the youth of today - that want to listen? Many people are "stuck" in jobs that they have taken to "pay the bills" - as is needed in many cases, but others may need (and welcome) expertise and encouragement to think "outside the box" so to speak of other opportunities that may be available. If some of the people that have these experiences would talk to others perhaps this may help the communities and society in general. Many times, unfortunately, people in their own neighborhoods don't know each other and what great things they have done.....just thoughts....

Old 06-26-2014, 04:54 PM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
Retiring is easy
Having enough money is easy
It's those large holes in the bottom of the money bag that should worry you

Old 06-28-2014, 08:01 AM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yep; its just another article that money and time can not buy happiness. It tends tho to imply that those numbers where in fact happier when working. Its just one point of view from person who obviously its true of. Many having no self worth or little other than work is not something new really. A writer and a CEO are hardly most people tho;IMO.
That would depend on your job in my case many I worked with are dead from stress they died in the job
That was their retirement but you are right many can't handle retirement I am not one of them I'm Mr hobby

Old 06-28-2014, 07:47 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,331,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I would like to see more posts from people who are not part of a "we," like yellowsnow. As much as I look forward to not working for every reason, I am accustomed to some work friendships and conversations, and it has become my community of sorts. I fear my own tendency toward isolation in the first place, so while anticipating giving up the stressful and very unrewarding aspects of my job, I do worry about losing the somewhat sense of community that showing up gives me.
As for "identity," fergit it. I'll leave smoke when I go out the door for the last time on that.
I am part of a "we" but that probably isn't going to last--DW's health problems are evidently progressive and terminal--she has no chance to make it another 4-6 years to "normal retirement" age. So we had the retirement thing figured out, started snowbirding in early 50's since I can work from anywhere most of the time. Then illness changed everything.

So the focus now is on making the most of our days, one by one. I spend a small amount of time thinking about after. Some of the pieces are in place. The challenge is sorting out what is "we" and what is "me." I will keep snowbirding, almost for certain.

I will probably keep my hand in my work to an advanced age, in part because I think I am worthwhile to others and in part because I enjoy it, all of it, including the social aspects.

But at the same time, I could keep two of me busy with non-work interests as well. Tough issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement