U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My point is we are all wired differently and what works for one doesn't for another. You have shared a lot on here my friend and we have shared in pm. I really believe if your retirement income was increase by. 75k a year you would have little problem upping the joy meter.
My retirement isn't going to be upped by 75K a year but my joy level is pretty high. I don't have to work, I have day trips with dear ones, I just spent an incredible day in the sunshine with twin little girls saying "I love you" every other hour. Yes, I'd certainly like more money, but the beach life wouldn't clinch happiness, for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 02:43 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
I dunno, I'm really not sold on the 'my career is my identity' thing.

Careers that lasted thirty plus years with the same firm are such a rarity now, that was like for our parents and grandparents, us not so much?

That and given the longevity in life expectancy, I would hope we had the brains to recognize there would be a second act after our working lives and to plan, prepare, or at least realize there would be a life after work.

negirl, enjoy those babes at the beach. I have to borrow family, no kids here. Plenty of adoptees willing though, so it all works out.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Money cannot buy happiness though it makes a fine start if you have it. What we do with our lives is what brings us happiness.
Beautifully said.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:45 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My retirement isn't going to be upped by 75K a year but my joy level is pretty high. I don't have to work, I have day trips with dear ones, I just spent an incredible day in the sunshine with twin little girls saying "I love you" every other hour. Yes, I'd certainly like more money, but the beach life wouldn't clinch happiness, for me.
You could do weekly acupuncture and New Hampshire as often as you wanted. Not having to choose can make life easier .

Old 06-20-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You could do weekly acupuncture and New Hampshire as often as you wanted. Not having to choose can make life easier .
Sometimes there's more meaning in having to choose.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:48 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Joy it would buy or more excitement? The more money you have the less excitement things it will buy brings: IMO. Alot of miserable rich people in this world I have seen.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,304,137 times
Can excitement really be 'bought' outside of an amusement park or paintball game? It's not so much the venue but the people you are with.......IMHO

Old 06-20-2014, 02:57 PM

2,172 posts, read 2,084,322 times
As someone else mentioned, I don't think I buy that my identity is completely tied up in my career. I have many other interests outside my work, and experience an ongoing frustration with my lack of time to pursue them all as much as I'd like. Many take little or no money to pursue, so I expect when I retire I'll have plenty of time to do just that and no real reason why I shouldn't find that to be enjoyable for a long time to come.

We'll be relocating to our paradise when we retire, so that will create opportunities for all sorts of new experiences, which I think is a big part of keeping engaged in life. There are always challenges to be found if you want or need them. For instance, I expect I'll want to become engaged in some volunteer activity in our new locale.

While I still enjoy my job, and still find it stimulating and challenging, the routine aspects are getting old after 35+ years. I am very much looking forward to retirement.

Dave

Old 06-20-2014, 03:28 PM

19,839 posts, read 18,861,423 times
I think a partial return to values of the past might be helpful. Back when family and friends were what really mattered, not material possessions. Money can buy you some peace of mind, such as health care though.

I was talking to a friend whose mother just died and left her a gorgeous house and a huge fortune, yet she is miserable. She is a hopeless hoarder and won't get help for it so she's stuck in the gorgeous, messy house, with rooms full of boxes of stuff that she's bought over the years. She has an irrational fear of ever getting rid of anything at all.

Yet she speaks of moving to the ultra swanky senior housing a few towns over--it's all a charade. Health, both mental and physical help a whole lot with happiness. If you can find pleasure in smelling the flowers (to use the old cliche) you can creatively figure out how to be happy.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:50 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Yes family and friends are very important and money makes it easier to visit and go
Places with them. Going places can be vacations together that you or they can help the other afford. Are most of you really happy to the max and unable to absorb any more of that which makes you happy ? More landscaping , another concert, more meals out, keeping the house cooler, new tires on the car etc etc . Do none of you not make a purchase or do a fun activity or take a trip, make a visit because of finances ? Is your current pool of wealth fulfilling your every want or in some way is it financially contained? How about having folks over more often?

Last edited by TuborgP; 06-20-2014 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement