U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,664,689 times

Advertisements

This post brings to mind my favorite quote:
Life isn't about hiding from the storms,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 PM

782 posts, read 893,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
http://www.manchesterjournal.com/business/ci_25991625/planning-retirement

Wow what a bold statement. I am sure some of you wonder why did I say that. Well it is true for the vast majority of us. Those of us thinking of retirement are in for a shock. Nirvana of walking the beach hand in hand or golfing or even minding the grands might seem wonderful but after an action packed career settling in for that slow pace will be replaced rather quickly. It affects men more then women since we men generally define ourselves and selfworth based on careers and the money we made. It is even harder for those that are retired because of sickness or other type of job loss where it comes sudden.

So what do we do to make that transition guys? I think it will even be harder on the single men out there. I and the rest of us married men who were successful in thier careers enough to come to a retirement have someone that we can lean on to help in that transition.
I enjoyed being single and retired. After many years of partying and sleeping around I decided to settle down with a pretty young wife and start a second family. Ten years later it has been an easy transition and I have lost all interest (as well as a few friends) in chasing 8teenie's around.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:35 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,870,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My point is we are all wired differently and what works for one doesn't for another. You have shared a lot on here my friend and we have shared in pm. I really believe if your retirement income was increase by. 75k a year you would have little problem upping the joy meter.
I don't know. There is a point where having more money doesn't mean that much.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:49 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Yes family and friends are very important and money makes it easier to visit and go
Places with them. Going places can be vacations together that you or they can help the other afford. Are most of you really happy to the max and unable to absorb any more of that which makes you happy ? More landscaping , another concert, more meals out, keeping the house cooler, new tires on the car etc etc . Do none of you not make a purchase or do a fun activity or take a trip, make a visit because of finances ? Is your current pool of wealth fulfilling your every want or in some way is it financially contained? How about having folks over more often?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I don't know. There is a point where having more money doesn't mean that much.
I agree but I don't think many if any of us have honestly reached that point.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 PM

2,430 posts, read 1,666,491 times
Quote:
newenglandgirl

And, the boomers don't want to admit this is the final leg of the journey. For some that's a motivator; for others, incapacitating.
Thank you for verbalizing what I think with so many posts I read here.
Denial does run strong in this group.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:13 PM

Why is having health and perhaps thirty plus more years of life the Final leg? The final leg of what ? Why is the retirement from work suppose to be such a game changer? It is a time changer with more of it free. So hopefully we can all thrive in that free time which brings us back in part to the question at hand. Do you have the resources to fully enjoy that time and would more resources help you to enjoy it more. Isn't the answer to that individual and not collective?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:17 PM

2,633 posts, read 2,190,667 times
Well, I've had money and then not had money.

Having money is better because it gives you options. Knowing I had those options made me happy.

Now I don't have them, so it's harder. I don't like it!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:59 PM

2,430 posts, read 1,666,491 times
Quote:
Why is having health and perhaps thirty plus more years of life the Final leg? The final leg of what ? Why is the retirement from work suppose to be such a game changer? It is a time changer with more of it free. So hopefully we can all thrive in that free time which brings us back in part to the question at hand. Do you have the resources to fully enjoy that time and would more resources help you to enjoy it more. Isn't the answer to that individual and not collective?
Thanks for making my point.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
http://www.manchesterjournal.com/business/ci_25991625/planning-retirement

Wow what a bold statement. I am sure some of you wonder why did I say that. Well it is true for the vast majority of us. Those of us thinking of retirement are in for a shock. Nirvana of walking the beach hand in hand or golfing or even minding the grands might seem wonderful but after an action packed career settling in for that slow pace will be replaced rather quickly. It affects men more then women since we men generally define ourselves and selfworth based on careers and the money we made. It is even harder for those that are retired because of sickness or other type of job loss where it comes sudden.

So what do we do to make that transition guys? I think it will even be harder on the single men out there. I and the rest of us married men who were successful in thier careers enough to come to a retirement have someone that we can lean on to help in that transition.
It isn't just about transition to but also from. Perhaps it depends on age and the resources along with the area you retire. If you are doing a voluntary early retirement complete with resources why is there any issue? It is your choice and u probably have a lifestyle change and the ability to provide it. Go to the ER forum and you will notice a different mindset between there and here. Doesn't a good early retirement plan have a vision and a goal with a historical plan of how and where to get there? Once achieved how many of us/them are looking back and not forward? Do many people really plan for and achieve a financially successful early retirement and look back?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:29 PM

One of the interesting thoughts is that the youngest Boomers are turning fifty this year and for many of them they are at the half way point of their life. So much of life remains to unfold for most of us Boomers even us early ones. Will be interesting in fifty years when the hype about retirement for us is long since passed how it really played out. So to the OP of this thread I say may you retire soon find the place to transplant to and Golf on per your plan. My SIL played Pebble Beach just so she could say she did. Big green fees but she said worth it. Her husband didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement